Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED downlighting ( energy-efficient)

Options
  • 23-09-2023 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

hi can LED downlights be purchased at a high energy rating A++. Looking to buy some, I was looking at purchasing some in Screwfix, but all the LED downlights seem to have very poor energy efficiency, F and G energy rating.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Is it not just that these bands have been redefined to promote ever increasing efficiency?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Kealyboy

I don’t know to be honest. Why what are you saying that the F & G rated ones are actually very efficient. It’s just that the standards have got even better in recent times so they have been downgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Yes, same happened to fridges/freezers/washing machines etc, stuff that was A+++ dropped way down but was still the same machine, some EU change I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The EU changed energy efficiency ratings for bulbs on 1 September 2021. They actually adjusted the scale as the older rating method was to promote LED over incandescent and as a result every LED bulb then got an A+ rating, meaning that there was no benefit in having a more efficient LED as it wasn't going to score better than A+ anyway.

So yes you can now buy A++ rated bulbs on the new scale, but in practice they are scarce as many manufacturers haven't moved off their first or second generation designs. Philips have an Ultra-Efficient range, as do Osram.

Looking at the Philips UE range now though, I can't see the A++ variant of the downlighter... but I do see a B-rated UE there instead, for some reason. Maybe there were issues with the product.

...and the same for Osram. So I'm suspecting that there was some technical issue with the products... not sure though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Does the A++ ratings system refer to the traditional lumens/watt rating for lamps

I read that there was new better LED bulbs but wasn't clear how to know when buying

I assume the likes of Amazon are still selling older variant leds when you go to buy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

You might need to dig out your French dictionary to get the best value out of it, but here's a detailed explanation of the changes to ratings, including specfic technical information relating to LEDs

The main thing to note, though, is that if any product is adverstised as "A+" or higher, then it's based on the old system and hasn't been updated (there is no "+" in the rating). I recently picked up a set of ten "A++" downlights for a quarter of the regular price because they were in the old packaging and the shop wanted them gone. The exact same range is now labelled F, but it's still only 4.7W per bulb.

March 2023 was the last date allowed for the sale of goods marked with the old labels.

Hence the enthusiasm for the (French) retailer getting them sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

So if you had these 10 downlights at this wattage and you had them on 6 hours a night, at the height of winter, you'd use 10*6*4.7 = 282 watts. If you're paying say €0.40 for a kwh of electricity, the lights have cost you €0.1128 (just over 11 cent) for that night. 

So this is all relative I.e. if you could get downlighters at say 2.3w, which is just over 50% less, you would use 10*6*2.3 = 138 watts which, at the same €0.40 per kwh would cost you €0.0552 (5 and a 1/2 cent). So obviously it accumulates but not sure I'd be in a rush to invest in early version of the next generation if the cost is way more as not sure the savings justify it....

The biggest % saving was the switch from incandescent/ halogen to led

Not so much after that

• Advertisement

If. It all depends on the If. :-)

For my installation, those ten bulbs will light two rooms independently, and they're the "oooohhhhh, soooo bright, turn them off" lights, so they'll probably be on for about 6 hours a year, not per month. The bulbs supposedly give out 450 lumens each, so the installation is sized to flood the area with three times the recommended illumination for the space (I have my reasons).

Like with every energy calculation, you can plug various figures into various formulae and get just about any result you want but the simplest way to reduce it is not to use it in the first place, which is the intention here. Each of those rooms will have two other light sources ("mood" and "spot") that'll account for the month-to-month cost, so I was quite happy not to spend three times the amount on just-in-case fixtures, especially as it was literally a case of the "wrong" packaging. The whole kit (cabling, connectors, housing and bulbs - which, of course, can be changed in an instant) cost less than most single wall lights, bulb not included ... and a third of the price of the exact same product now on the shelves in a new box.

You've also ignored the lumens-per-watt parameter in your alternate scenario - which is what gives any bulb its energy rating - and neither of us has touched on the colour temperature or angle of spread. Depending on how the downlighters are arranged, you might find that you need ten of your 2.3W bulbs on at the same time to give enough light while I can get by with just three. It all depends on the Ifs ...

Very true. My set of ten bulbs amounts to a grand total of 47W; my young adulthood was characterised by 60 and 100W bulbs in every fitting!

I still have a 1000W bulb that I light up every so often for fun.

Fair enough. But the energy usage is a function of the wattage requirement. The lumens might determine how many you need on - but they are likely to be wired I series so you won't have independent control - unless perhaps they are a smart bulb. Agree with the other poster - the saving dropping from 60w and 100w as standard bulbs to bulbs of 3w to 5w energy usage which also last for far longer has been significant. In all honesty, the saving in dropping from a 4.7w to a potential 2.5w is not as substantial.

Mad to think that something like 90% of the energy usage of a 100w bulb was in generating heat....

When I moved into this house the previous occupier had 8x 50w halogen bulbs over the BATHTUB and another five 50w bulbs in the rest of the bathroom. Total for the bathroom alone was 650w.

I have that down to around 45w with LED now. Bonkers.

The heat created a separate maintenance cost

Replacing lamp holders and fittings

True. The plastic in the holders used be clearly impacted by the heat. Very brittle too. And you could get a fine burn if you touched a 100w bulb!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

10-10-20 was on the money here

European_Union_energy_label

From 1 September 2021[12]

Every label of light sources, including light bulbs (halogen, compact fluorescent, etc.) or LED modules/lamps, contains the following information:

• the energy efficiency category from A to G
    • the electricity consumption of the lamp in kWh per 1000 hours

vs

Until 31 August 2021

Energy classes of light bulbs in terms of luminous flux and power consumption (until 31 August 2021)

Every label of light bulbs and tubes (including incandescent light bulbsfluorescent lampsLED lamps) contains the following information:

• the energy efficiency category from A to G
    • the luminous flux of the bulb in lumens
    • the electricity consumption of the lamp in watts
    • the average life length in hours

which explains why when looking to buy a work light, no sign of lumens/watts/temperature

what a regressive step

The new A to G graph will not copy, but the values are in total mains efficacy, not efficiency as per above

Efficacy is getting things done. It is the ability to produce a desired amount of the desired effect, or success in achieving a given goal. Efficiency is doing things in the most economical way

ao a bit of clusterfcuk

efficacy meaning

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

No, they're not a wired series. I know what I bought, and I bought that specific kit so that I could wire them up exactly how they need to be for my needs, no "smartness" needed (because that in itself introduces small but continuous consumption).

The watts do indeed determine how much energy a bulb uses, but it's the lumens per watt that determine its efficiency. As the table in the link I posted earlier shows, for an A rating on the revised scale, that should be 210 lumens per watt or more. My previously A++ bulbs are now downgraded to F, with "only" 100 lumens per watt, but that still compares very favourably with an old-style 60W bulb giving out 15 lumens per watt.

The point is: the OP was asking about getting A++ rated bulbs, which means they haven't understood that the rating system changed - and for all electrical appliances and accessories. There's less reason to feel guilty about buying something today with a F or an E rating when you know that it would have been considered A++ or A+++ the last time you went to buy one, but also a lot less choice in the current B and A ranges because manufacturers haven't yet caught up.

Agreed. Our dishwasher was bought when it was dual code I think. Something like A on one scale; F on the other. And you're right. The scale is one thing but understanding your usage, the power consumption, the initial outlay and payback of going for much more expensive new A versus F means you are better informed and better able to make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Just showing the table which is très intéressant

100%.

One of the more interesting and informative threads in here for some time.

Thanks for posting Kealyboy

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

The original open-type downlighter were a disaster , don't know how they were ever allowed

It's a good table alright

So the new system is based on actual efficiency ie; lumens/watt , whereas the old system was based on lamp type ?

Advertisement