Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC for Video Editing

Options
  • 19-09-2023 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

10 years and 6 months ago I asked a similar question and got great help here, but that PC is struggling badly now. Time for some shiny new tech.

1. What is your budget? about €2000 excluding monitors

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Photo and Video editing/Internet/LibreOffice documents/some old gaming, like Age of Empires II - nothing new]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No] Assume I can buy a key on eBay still? If not I guess I need Windows 11

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Don't plan to use old parts but would like to take over the hard drives, excluding C: with is solid state and too small anyway)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No] Not at the moment, using two Sony 32 HD TV's but plan to get two monitors after PC build, open to suggestions now.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.] see above and 30" minimum.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? Would like to view in 4k where available

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] No, although might update speakers, currently have logitech 5.1 setup. Definitely want a CD/DVD drive, I still buy CDs!! And I like to rip them to PC. BluRay drive would be nice, but not required. Occasionally have to write video to DVD too.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No, not techy, so just want fast and reliable without stress.

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] Transfer/PayPal/Debit Card.

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days] More or less as soon as I have finalised spec and found the parts.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Made the mistake (against advice here) and let supplier do the build. This time I plan to tackle it, no doubt I will have some questions. Hopefully when suggesting build components, my Luddite qualities will be considered ;-)

Heaviest use of PC would be video editing, I don't do that much but when I do I like to have the ability. Software used DaVinci Resolve and Photoshop. Want to be able to edit 4k video, but most will be 1080p. Lots of Word and Excel equivalent docs to work with and browse and stream from internet all the time.

I want loads and space for storage of photos and videos and simple backup ability.

I would like a large tower case, loads of room. Need lots of USB ports too.

IF this new build lasted nearly as long as the last I would be very happy - old thread and specs are here:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2056925693/new-pc-for-video-editing-budget-2500

TIA for suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭HorseSea

I miss the old boards, no help this time :(

What worries me more is that if I go and design my own build, that's the easier bit, but knowing Boards was there to help with any problems in in the future was the real benefit. Guess I better get my big boy trousers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I only dabble in it.

For me it's NVMe drives for editing and large hard drives for storage. You can put much of the load of video editing and rendering on a decent graphics card.

I'd consider a Mac if you are serious about it.

Thanks for the reply. I don't do that much video editing anymore, used to do a good bit, now it just occasional, but when I do I want it to go smoothly and enjoy the process not pull out anymore hair, I don't have that much left. Mostly PC is just for browsing, photo editing the odd old game and office files. I think I did very well with this one lasting over ten years and am happy to overspec and overspend a little getting a new one that performs well.

Will research NVMe drives, new to me, I thought M2 was the way to go? ?

M2 is the form (chewing gum sized)

You can get M2 Sata drives and M2 NVME drives. The latter is vastly faster. Makes a difference working with large video files.

You said working with 4k video. 4k is almost 4 times bigger than 1080p. That will really push a system for editing video.

Basically NVME is the new standard. If you don't need 4k editing almost everything i3 upwards can edit 1080p without breaking a sweat.

Are you going to build it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/z3dgt7

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor (€422.29 @ Amazon Deutschland)

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (€36.00)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard (€241.39 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL30 Memory (€111.97 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€128.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€128.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Video Card: Inno3D Twin X2 GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card (€295.99 @ Caseking)

Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case (€96.60 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€127.89 @ Caseking)

Total: €1590.11

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-23 01:29 CEST+0200

Can upgrade the GPU to RTX 4070 if you want more future-proofing.

Drop CPU to Ryzen 7600 or 7700 (less cores, still great performance).

Add 3.5" HDDs as needed.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that K.O.Kiki, proud to see a few of those components were in a build I was cobbling together. Will do a bit of reading up on the benefits of changing the GPU, never heard of Inno3D brand before. Otherwise looks good, would go for a bigger case though, like to have loads of room and space is not an issue where it is going. Not interest in LEDs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

Intel are better than AMD for video editing, i went with the 4070 also does everything without the crazy price.

Well that throws a spanner in the works, I have had Intel forever, from my first PC from HE Clissman in the 80's when an extra 1Mb of memory cost an additional £100! I had recently come around to AMD was the way to go, will have to reconsider now.

Tbh you wont really go too far wrong with either, both AMD and Intel are very good these days, the i5 13600k is great bang for buck imo.

I've had that case before, the LEDs can be turned off.

It's highly recommended as it has great airflow with 3x silent PWM fans included.

• Advertisement

OK, so build is looking like this, a couple of things had to change due to availability, like the cooler, only available in White! But doesn't matter once it works.

Before I hit the magic button, have I made any silly mistakes here?

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/3nBHz6

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor (€407.99 @ Mindfactory) 

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (€58.23 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX ATX AM5 Motherboard (€230.87 @ Galaxus) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL40 Memory (€203.89 @ Galaxus) 

Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€121.90 @ Alza) 

Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€121.90 @ Alza) 

Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€218.41 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Video Card: Inno3D Twin X2 GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card (€606.89 @ Caseking) 

Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case (€83.89 @ notebooksbilliger.de) 

Power Supply: be quiet! System Power 10 850 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (€99.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Total: €2275.77

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-24 20:56 CEST+0200

Seems overkill for occasional video edit but mostly light office work and browsing.

I know, but I would like it to last 10+ years like this one, I don't want to be updating bits every couple of years, if possible. Also I have a lot of stuff that never got edited because it was too big on this machine, so there going to be a lot of editing over the next few months and then it should settle down again. As long as there is nothing fundamentally incorrect or cheaper better options I would prefer to buy the best I can now, while I can.

I can see that.

Peerless Assassin is cheaper & has more colours on Amazon UK.

go with firecudas over the samsungs those 980s have had issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cornholio509

@HorseSea

just looked at you build and found a big glaring issue . Your motherboard wont support more than 2 NVME drives . I dont think there is any B550 board that can . You will need to go X670E for more NVME storage . THat or else drop one NVME drive and get another 2.5 inch SSD

X670E motherboards have an onboard IO chip giving extra PCIE lanes allowing for more storage / Io cards to be added to the system .

I was wondering that but I've seen some product descriptions say it has three. But I couldn't find a photo showing them.

Its a B650 MB I picked, on their website it has: "1*PCIe 5.0 x4 M.2 & 2* PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 with M.2 Thermal" So I took it that I can use three. It's not a deal breaker if I can't you the three, two would do, but don't want to buy 2 if only 2 fit.

OK, huge range of prices between models 510, 520, 530, 540. the 510 and 530 are most reasonable, will they be ok?

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/vMFKHx,wXJgXL,8VvdnQ,pkwmP6/

• Advertisement

510 is PCIe 3.0, 520/530 are PCIe 4.0, 540 is PCIe 5.0

Speeds go up.

If you want a RAID setup, maybe you could use something like this card

But if you just need more storage, better off getting one or two 4TB SSDs.

Thanks k.O.KiKi. The M2 drives have the option of a heatsync or not, do I need it?

I have several 4TB drives in old machine to transfer over, just data files.

That raid until for the M2's looks interesting but beyond my abilities for the moment, will be happy just to get it built and can look at that again. I am pretty good at backing stuff up nowadays, after lessons learned previously.

Still looking for a case, not sold on the Pure 500DX or any others I found. My current case is a CoolMaster CM Storm Trooper and I love it for many reasons. 1) It's huge, easy to work in. 2) It has a great handle for moving around 3) 5.25" slots at the front CD/DVD drives and 4) it has a very handy hotswap slot for SSD drives. Can't find anything similar for a reasonable price. Unfortunately I have promised this one to someone so I can't use it and anyway for a new build I would like a new case.

Can't really help on the handles.

Maybe SilverStone Seta D1 or Fractal Design R6 or older R5 are more your style?

Don't think anyone makes built-in hot swap bays anymore, but there are cheap cages that can adapt 1x 5.25" to 2-4x 2.5"

In the end I went with the Pure Base 500DX case. I got all the baskets ready to order only to find out the German sellers, apart from Amazon don't ship to Ireland - that was a surprise. Had to do a bit of reshuffling including changing the memory from black to white and ordered most stuff from Amazon.de, powersupply form Amazon.co.uk and GPU from Paradigit. So everything now ordered. Thanks for all the assistance.

I need to look for a monitor now (30"/32" suitable for 4k, not for gaming so refresh rate not as important.) and an external optical drive for occasional DVD writing duties.

I'd just go Dell. Haggle if you're feeling bored.

What's a dvd?

I had Dell monitors before and no problems but this time I went with LG 32UN88AP

It's a 2020 model, but didn't find anything else more reasonable for the specs and LG's replacement is 34" which is too big and more expensive. It's not great for gaming, that's fine for me, more orientated to photo/video.

• Advertisement

Just thought I would give an update. All parts arrived safely and on time, the build went very well with the assistance of my nephew who loves this kind of thing. Everything worked first time.

Took ages getting all software, settings and data transferred across, but it all worked. I am still not sure everything is set up correctly to maximise speed etc, but everything works so I am happy. I did some editing in DaVinci Resolve today and it was a breeze, PC flew through he renders.

First time using Windows 11, so that took a bit of getting used too, but not as bad as I feared (so far).

So thanks to everyone who made suggestions or recommendations. If this build lasts as long as the last one I will be a very happy camper.

PS. The only thing that did not work is the LED on the front of the case, as I had already mentioned I was not interested in leds, internally or externally it doesn't matter, but if something was not going to work I am glad it was the LEDs :-)

Advertisement