Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

That's a great idea. Or another one:

Declare property uninhabitable?

Property will be CPOd:

at 100% of market rate in 6 months,

80% of market rate in 12 months

60% of market rate in 18 months

40% of market rate in 24 months

20% of market rate in 30 months

0% of market rate in 36 months. (You forfeit the property)

The problem is trivial to solve. EZPZ.

But homeowners are enriched by dereliction. And under 30s don't vote in significant numbers so they don't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Hi All, I am bidding on a property that has a BER rating of C2. However the estate agent claims they had insulation work done to the standard of a B3 rating but could not get the certification for it as they “lost the receipt.”

Im really confused by this - is the certification process strictly based on the receipt from the company who conducted the work?

If so are there workarounds? Would a structural survey be able to cover this?

There are implications on this given that green mortgages require B3 or more.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Terrible idea, infringes on all manner of property rights.

Just enforce the taxes we have right now for vacant sites and units - maybe move the collection to revenue instead of local councils who seem to deliberately try not to collect these fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

From SEAI website "It is important that you retain any details and documentation of works done to your home. These could be certifications, receipts, invoices or specification documents. This information is important for ensuring you receive the most accurate BER for your home after the upgrades."

Still though, I feel you'd be able to request a reissue of a receipt/invoice if it was from a reputable provider? Your question might be better in the currently buying/selling a house thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It would be possible yes.

Very hard to get receipts issued for work done years ago. I insulated a house to a very high degree back in the 1990's.

4'' if rockwool in wall cavities, and dry lined inside with an insulated plasterboard. I used a higher quality insulation under the floor as well. There is not a hope of getting the invoices reissued( at least one of the suppliers are gone bust). If it was BER accessed today it would be accessed to the standard build insulation of back then. There is no workaround.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You are goosed unless you can get a B3 BER cert, maybe another assessor would look at it and check the insulation possibly open vent and check inside them. Otherwise you are buying a C3 house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

The much talked about exodus of Irish due to the housing crisis doesn’t seem to be materialising. Irish exiting almost perfectly offset by Irish returning home.

Population materially increasing on back of record post Celtic Tiger immigration, as expected. 98k increase in population last 12 months. Fair few extra houses will be needed!

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-pme/populationandmigrationestimatesapril2023/keyfindings/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,646 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Making BER an even bigger joke than it currently is.

I would not be able to get the same rating now as I got a few years back, as at the time they were able to use the vendor marking on the windows (installers gone) to assess them as what they are. They'd just get marked as generic double glazing now

Installer of my triple glazed door has gone under also so I don't have any docs bar bank transfer records, useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

The taxes we have and what's proposed will not be a deterrent even if everyone pays them

Compare a vacant home worth 300k with a deposit account of 300k paying 3%

The vacant home will pay 3 times the standard property tax which will be 1500 per year

The 300k deposit account @ 3% will pay 9000 which will be taxed at 33% giving a tax bill of 3000

So a person who has excess cash and puts it in a bank to be redistributed to those that need it to drive the economy forward is taxed twice what the person that is willfully denying a much needed asset to the economy

The vacancy tax is a spit in the face of tenants paying nosebleed rents across the country by the government

• Registered Users Posts: 18,488 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I even got caught worse by a BER accessor. I did up an old farm house. I used Kingsman to dry line it. It's a really warm house new PVC doors and windows.

It only got a D1, two bed house tenant uses about 400L of oil a year and 3 ton bags of blocks. To heat it. Sonar panels on it summer hot water.

Now to bake matters worse as there was no eircode the assessor used a neighbouring houses Eircode. He did not inform me of that until after he was paid and told me to get an Eircode and he would change the assessment to the new code.

It took me nearly a year to get the Eircode. When I did the rules had changed and incorrect assessment had to be changed with a few weeks. Now I am trying for the last two years to get him to redo it to the new Eircode ( we have an agreement for 150 euro) and it's impossible to get it off him.

On top of that I think I have got rod of the old building renovation receipts I had.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Blut2

With an average household size of 2.74 as of last year in Ireland (and thats decreasing each year) that population increase would require 35,767 new housing units having been built in 2022 just to house them.

Which means just to stand still, nevermind replace any older housing stock, and nevermind alleviating/fixing the housing crisis, we'd need to be building that number. When in reality we completed only 29,851 units in 2022.

Its not being talked about anywhere in the media that I've seen but our population increasing by approx 100k a year in 2021, 2022 and looking like in 2023 is just completley unsustainable for the housing market with our current construction rate.

The government's press releases can say what they want, but the numbers don't lie - the housing market is actually getting worse, not better, currently, when you consider our very relevant population growth.

There's an obvious solution in cases of blatant dereliction

A daily loitering fine, attach it to the property where its not been paid.

After 3 months the property is seized and auctioned as the health and safety of the public trumps property rights. Proceeds of sale less loitering fines and auction fees held for the previous owner for an agreed period of time

Put the cost on perpetrator not the council

• Registered Users Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭timmyntc

In the case of the deposit account the tax is owed on interest accrued. For house owner the tax is on value of the property.

They are two fundamentally different scenarios

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Former bank on Dublin’s College Green may be converted to social housing

And it looks like top money may be spent on housing social tenants in one of the most premium sites in the city right across from Trinity College. I wonder will clothing be allowed to hang from the balconies here...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

horrible looking building being bought and repurposed at a premium by the state... lolz

Not really, the return on the house is the appreciation which is normally greater than the deposit account

In year 2 the tax increases on the deposit account assuming interest is not drawn down, while the appreciation in property prices is not counted in year 2 taxation

The point being that taxation incentivises leaving a property empty over having cash on deposit

The much talked about exodus of Irish due to the housing crisis doesn’t seem to be materialising. Irish exiting almost perfectly offset by Irish returning home

I'm open to correction but would this stat show exactly that people are leaving because of the housing situation. People leaving for higher wages, lower rents or even any form of accomodation.

The total inflows are highly affected by Ukraine and the UK's immagration stance. This will result in an increase in our youth leaving

The more granular data from the CSO report shows more Irish people left each of Australia or Canada for example to move to Ireland than the reverse.

When you look at the finer details, the column on the far right here:

Australia - 4,700 emigrated 7,700 returned (+3,000 net migration)

Canada - 5,300 emigrated 7,200 returned (+1,900 net migration)

Those are the big two commonly discussed "grass is greener" destinations for Ireland's youth so it would suggest they aren't actually leaving in big numbers at all.

Even for the globe as a whole the figures are broadly breakeven, 30,500 Irish nationals left and 29,600 returned.

Australia and Canada might be yesterday's trend as it was traditionally mining, building, nursing, police, teaching, engineering etc

Today's trend might well be the middle east.

My point relates to the demographic leaving, is it our youth that are leaving and those that have earned enough to tackle the property ladder that are returning,

rent affordability affects new entrants the most, so leaving may well be an easy decision for them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,450 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You think young people leaving, and returning when they have made a few bob is a new phenomenon? I suspect like most, we know plenty of people who are moving to the Middle East, Australia and Canada, just because they want to live somewhere different, experience different cultures and way of life, and make a few bob. I know it doesn’t fit in with the narrative, but not all young people emigrate because of housing, and not all expect others to help them buy a house.

• Advertisement

84% of Irish nationals left to go to the EU/UK/US/Canada/Australia. The entire rest of the planet, including the Middle-East, only took 16%. Today's trend is very much not the Middle East, people are leaving Ireland to go to the same places they always have.

The demographic trends are the same as they have been for 20 odd years since the Celtic Tiger made us wealthy - the vast majority of Irish people leave in their 20s for 1-5 years, then come home.

The reason more aren't leaving, and those that do leave mostly return quickly, is because the property markets in most of the main Irish emmigrant destinations are as bad or worse than in Ireland these days. London, Vancouver, Sydney, New York etc are some of the worst places on the planet for rental housing affordability.

Well aware they are leaving and returning, plenty of examples in my extended family

What's different is the nose bleed rents here and how new entrants suffer the most from it. This was not so much an issue in the noughties, it was far more balanced with rentals much closer to affordable

Don't get me wrong, if alot of the "help" to buy a house was removed. We would all be in a better position

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭hometruths

Not much chance of that, today the IT is helping vested interests fly a few kites in advance of the budget.

On HTB specifically:

Lisney:

Extend the Help-to-Buy (HTB) grant for first-time buyers for at least five years and increase the amount given in line with current new-home prices. Lisney notes the current HTB threshold of €500,000 has not increased since 2017, while house prices and construction costs have risen substantially in the same period.

DNG:

Extend the Help-to-Buy scheme until 2026 and amend its terms to increase the applicable tax credit from €30,000 to €40,000, and its price threshold from €500,000 to €600,000.

Plenty of more subsidies being touted.

This is a good one from Hooke & McDonald:

Create a taxation climate that will encourage Irish and international pension funds and institutional investors to support and fund a large proportion of the nation’s housing-supply programme.

Which rather begs the question as to what taxation climate Hooke & McDonald think the government have been angling at over the last decade.

This is a quote from the head of Research at BNP Paribas regarding Government policy on the Irish Times inside business podcast posted last week.

Sums up the situation

Its completely true. This government very clearly wants a slow, steady increase in housing prices.

The government's big problem with the housing market from an electoral point of view though is rental prices. They want house prices to keep going up for both the vested interests, and for home owners - who most of the FF & FG vote base are. But the problem is rental prices being out of control, which hits young middle class people in their 20s and 30s.

This results in a double whammy of forcing people to live at home / damage the lives of older FF&FG voters, and reducing/greatly delaying the numbers of people in their 30s becoming home owners (ie, FF/FG voters who want house prices to keep increasing). Both of which are driving votes to opposition parties in large numbers now.

During the Celtic Tiger we had steadily increasing house prices, but rental prices were largely low/stable, so it wasn't an issue.

The biggest mistake was not restarting a social housing building program in the mid 2010s, a choice made purely for ideological reasons. The funding, the capacity, and the need were all there. If the 60,000 households we have now on HAP as a result were in social housing instead of in the private rental market it'd make a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭danfrancisco83

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/apartment-16-manor-place-ongar-village-ongar-dublin-15/5427998 13.6% yield on this rental property bought a couple of years ago. Make hay while the sun shines I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

True that a lack of social housing programme is a main driver.

But the other major factor is population growth.

30k homes were built last year and similar number will be built again this year.

Yes. this number should be higher, but its still a pretty good return.

Realistically, how many homes could be delivered per year, given our planning system, building industry capacity and all other factors?

In other words, whats a realistic capacity for new home building annually if we threw all resource into it and shut down commercial construction. 40k, maybe 45k?

If thats the max number, its still going to tale a decade or so to catch up as our population is growing faster than can be accommodated.

5.3 million as of April.

Dublin over 1.5 million.

Both values now ever higher, as of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I've been trying to relocate that video clip from circa 2014 which had Michael Noonan saying something like "of course we want house prices back up"..

Think Ireland has also reached the stage at which the RPZ has done its long-term damage. It kept rents down for a few years (I certainly enjoyed it while it lasted) but now the cheaper end of the market has sold up and anyone entering the market knows they need to front-load rental levels.

We only built 30,000 units last year, with a population of 5.2mn or so. In the mid 2000s, when we had a population of only 4.1mn, we hit 90,000 units a year.

It wouldn't be easy, and it would take a few years to ramp up to, but we could be building 100k+ units a year now if the political will was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,450 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m open to correction, but having been burned by the finance given to developers to build too many houses in the mid noughties, banks no longer provide finance to developers. Where would that finance come from, if the political will you speak of existed to build 100k units? Also, where would you get the labour to do so?

Advertisement