Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cattle trailer

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

Is the loading ramp raised and lowered electronically on them too? Just when I saw the two switches behind the flap in one of the photos, and there's no visible springs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

The one I've seen in the flesh the ramp is manually operated but you could be right about the one in the add. I was wondering what the switches were for and it's an arm as opposed to a spring attached to the ramp. The higher spec lorry bodies usually have an automated ramp so that could be a carry over on the trailers too. I've often wished that I had an internal light in my trailer for night work and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the switches was for a light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

It should be easy enough to put a light into your trailer. All Ifor Williams have an internal light. The power is just taken from the wire feeding the tail lights, with a switch to operate the internal light. It means you can't have the internal light on without having the tail lights on, but that shouldn't be an issue in most cases...

I'm not much of a DIYer but I got a lad to put all new lights on a flat trailer during the summer and he seemed to make a right job of it. I was thinking of leaving the cattle trailer to him at some to service the brakes and put an internal light in it but it's in use a few times a week especially from now till Xmas. I've been threatening to order a new 14 foot Porter the last few years but I don't know if my current Dmax would be up to pulling it tbh. I'm not overly impressed with the power of it compared to my previous jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

I pull one of these with a 3 ltr Dmax no bother. It's an older model.

• Advertisement

I've a 161 2.5 litre one and I don't rate it that highly on pulling power. I'm assuming you have the older 3 litre version which had lots of power. I'd a 2.5 litre Ford Ranger and I thought it far more powerful. I wonder could I get my jeep chipped or what's the story? All I know is that the full of my current 12 foot trailer seems lots behind it when loaded without going for a bigger trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Does anyone here have an IW with the wheels underneath? If so, you you take a look at it and see if it is stamped anywhere for 25mph max?

Seen it mentioned on TFF, but never noticed it on one.

Edit: Should have Google it first:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Mate had one, I nearly bought one, he flipped it and said they were too giddy. That's where it ended for me luckily

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Was looking at getting a used 12' triaxle one. Your have nearly the equivalent floor space of the 14' with wheels outside but a shorter body.

Would haul it with tractor mostly but able to use with Jeep too. The roads here are narrow enough that the 6" narrower width would be a good idea.

If you don't have them fully loaded they can swing a bit - even with internal gate as the load is nose heavy. Wheels outside have a lower centre of gravity, but I think not have the load directly over the wheels is the bigger difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

It's very simple the centre of gravity is just higher. Imagine getting a shoulder with your 2 feet planted beside each other. Imagine getting the same with shoulder with your feet spread about 2ft apart., it's just some difference.

If it's sole use is tractor work on a solid paved surface or concrete, you would be fine. Different when it loaded or half loaded and tipping along at 40mph.

• Advertisement
Advertisement