Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Bay shed

Options
  • 24-09-2023 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Needing to do a open shed for storing a tractor and maybe some calves.

Would the old railway pillars be a good job? Was thinking 2 bays of around 5.5 metres wides.

Priced shed kits on donedeal and at ploughing but very pricey

Anyone build something similar recently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Doing one here myself but it's and extension to a simple existing portal frame, but following the length of an existing shed. Only difference is has a clear 31 ft opening in on the front. Steel cut to size and timber has cost €2k Inc vat. Haven't looked a sheeting yet but a rough back of the fag box calculation will have it sheeted for about 1k. Concrete will have to be added and a few rings of blocks. Hoping to have it done for around the €5k mark. That is doing everything and absolutely everything myself, putting in pads, welding, etc. It's something I enjoy doing a few hours here and there and you would be amazed at what you can get done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Railway rails are tough work. 8*4 rsj were just under €30/ metre and 7*4 were €25.50/metre. All plus the vat. Easier to work with clean steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Railway girders were €10 per foot plus VAT when I bought them last year. I like them for hanging gates as very strong and a lifetime job.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Silverdream

I see a good few selling kit sheds on the dungdeal, 20f*40F sheds steel only for around 1600-1800. Timbers and sheeting is gonna set you back another 1500. Then you have site leveling,concrete floor and walls which would be another 2.5k. So materials alone is over 6k. Would make a cheap shed if you can do the labor yourself but if you have to pay lads then you'd be looking at 10k all in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

8x4 rsj was €7.7 a foot plus vat a few weeks ago. I’d be using them instead of railway girders for a shed. Ideal for hanging gates with thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Railway griders are grand until you have to go tying into them with rafters, and handballing them around into holes in the ground.

They will outlast any 8x4 I beam but IMO they are not worth the hassle, especially now they have gone dear.

Advertisement