Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

But it is fixed and settled. As far as the EU is concerned, Brexit is done, GB is out of the club, the NI situation is stable, and right now there's no particular reason to change anything in the TCA when it comes up for review, seeing as it's working fine for the EU.

That said, whatever Labour might want to do in the future, they'll have no chance if they don't win a working majority in the next election, so their priority for the next year/two is to avoid rocking any boat that might lose them voters in swing seats. They don't need to attract committed remainers/rejoiners - they need the votes of unhappy leavers, or at the very least persuade them that Labour-In-Government won't be any worse than the current Tory farce so they can stay at home on election day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's a bit of stretch in fairness. If he says it is down to Brexit, he's reopening that can of worms for no benefit. I don't think France and Germany are exactly miles ahead of the UK at the minute either. If EU countries were growing significantly faster, it'd be a different story but covid, Ukraine, fuel, etc are affecting everyone. There's more than just Brexit at play. It's not disingenuous to want to put it to bed and move on, at least until public opinion becomes openly favourable to reopening the Brexit debate.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But it has become a gigantic elephant in the room. Everyone outside the Daily Telegraph and GB News knows Brexit is a disaster, that the British public royally messed up in voting for it but the thing has become so toxic that nobody can have an honest discussion in public about it, not even the opposition parties.

I wouldn't disagree with any of your points. Personally, I've come around to the belief that Brexit is a great idea - for the EU and Ireland. Brexit UK and its media are totally dysfunctional and the current version of it would be a terrible fit for the union....it's actually good news that they are out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Define "disaster". Most people are doing alright. I've personally not noticed any real difference except for the cost of living going up and incompetent Ryanair staff failing to understand my rights to live and work here.

Most of this country's problems are down to Tory party policy. Rejoining won't fix that.

It's true to say that unilaterally embargoing oneself is an act of utmost stupidity but for most people, little to nothing has changed. I'm personally more concerned with housing and healthcare than rejoining the EU as it's not practical at the moment.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

Easy to define a disaster in this instance. They were assured by Vote Leave that Brexit would improve their lives using numerous different metrics - in fact there were no downsides whatsoever to leaving according to these shysters. None of it has come to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

UK GDP down about 5% of where it would be if they didn't leave is a disaster is it not, considering the benefits that Brexit was meant to bring. Imagine that happening over here on top of all the other crap that's happened over the last few years.

Did any of the Brexit promises happen? Pretty much all of their promises of benefits turned out to be exactly the opposite. If you did that in your work what would your boss define it as?

And they haven't even fully implemented it yet. They haven't set up checks at the borders as even Rees Mogg has admitted itd be a significant cost to consumers.

I'm not sure if most people in the UK are doing alright too like you say. The poverty increase is not all down to Brexit obviously, but did it help in any way at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

and 5% less GDP is only a starting point, if i remember correctly 10 to 20% was touted as the amount to be lost once brexit is implemented in absolute full.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The UK burnt the "EU Lite" status bridge when they left the EEA EFTA (Free movement is one of the major red lines) and Euratom.

Noises about the European Court of Justice and the European Court of Human Rights isn't helping.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Most UK chatterati do not realise that the ECHR was set up by the British and also it has nothing to do with the EU.

It is just inconvenient for the Tories that it requires them to treat everyone, including foreigners, decently and with humanity. Of course that sentiment is missing within the Tory political sphere.

The bizarre thing is that the vast bulk of the ECHR is taken up with trying to protect the rights of British citizens from their own government.

The debate around refugees has become so toxic though (and deeply racist of course) that the only part of the ECHR they want to discuss is how it impacts on the rights of refugees arriving on their shores.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭swampgas

Agreed. I was imagining a best case scenario following 3 or 4 terms of a pro-EU government. The current trajectory is very much in the other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It isn't a disaster — more of a permanent slow puncture.

Per the opinion polls, it has been settled for some time that a majority in the UK think that Brexit was a mistake, and that a majority would vote to join in a new referendum, but also that a majority don't want and don't expect a new referendum. A chunk of those who in principle want to join just can't face re-entering the toxic politics of Brexit again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

... found primarily that people were not interested in Brexit. ... The focus groups reported fatigue with the subject ... More than one person referred to having to lie in the bed they made.

Brexit isn't an election issue.

... even among Leave voters most believe that so far Brexit has not been a success - only 18% of them believe it has gone well.

Most of them - 63% - blame the politicians for not getting a good deal.

The complete mess that was made of it might be. But there's no fix. So there's no solution to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I love that so many Brexiters still can't admit they were wrong and are just blaming the politicians for not delivering fantasy land Brexit.

And yes it's a dead end as an election issue and will only bore people into switching off.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

To be fair, that's pretty standard. People who vote for a political party on the basis of various promises made invariably blame the party for not delivering on those promises rather than themselves for accepting or relying on them in the first place. Voters should evaluate promises made by politicians on the basis of likelihood, credibility, deliverability, feasibility, etc, but they very rarely do.

Further thought: In this case, the tendency not to blame themselves is reinforced by the desire not to revisit Brexit. If (a) you think Brexit has not gone well, but (b) you have no desire for another Brexit referendum, there's a tension there that you can resolve by telling yourself (c) it didn't go well because the politicians stuffed it up and (c) given more competent politicians, it can still go well in the future. Therefore, you tell yourself, there is no need to reconsider the Brexit decision.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

Tragedy + time = comedy.

We're probably a couple of election cycles away from EU membership being back on the agenda, UKIP started in 1993, just over four election cycles to Cameron promising a brexit vote.

The rejoin cohort is now much bigger than the UKIP fringe back then so as a movement it could be back to a referendum by 2034.

Another global recession could accelerant the process.

The 17m Leave voters have gotten away with a lot though. They made an idiotic decision, spurred on by obvious racists and shysters like Farage. Brexit wasn't something that had a 50-50 chance of success....the odds were heavily stacked against it. I suspect there was a lot of badness behind many of the votes too, they were deliberately trying to screw other people over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

However, the europhobic attitude that UKIP latched onto basically dated all the way back to accession; I don't think you can rid the UK of this resting cultural presumption the bureaucrats in Brussels aren't up to their old tricks of bendy bananas, helmets for trapeze artists and whatnot. It'd require a sea change in how the tabloids - the right leaning ones who had cultivated that aforementioned hostility in particular - report the EU or indeed promote the idea of closer ties with the Union, let alone reentry into the EU itself.

Plus Brexit fatigue might make even hardened proponents to re-enter balk at the voting booth, given what happened the lat time. Better the devil you know n' all that.

• Advertisement

The bizarre thing is that the right wing press were strongly pro-EEC in the 1970s (and it was actually left wingers who were mostly opposed). I suppose it's indicative though of the rather schizophrenic attitude they have to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

They were until they saw the EEC become the EU and start getting involved in areas like workers rights, environmental standards, and the final straw, the taxing of billionaires. That could not be tolerated.

Don't forget the bloody immigants. The EEC had the "right" types of foreigner that the upper classes could relate to and mix with over some now cheaper wine & cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

The central plank of brexit was controlling immigration, and the perception is that that's actually gotten worse since leaving the EU.

At the time of the referendum there were as many voters over 55 as there were under, and older voters vote more often. The demographics that mostly voted remain in 2016 will be greater in 2034 and the cohort who staunchly voted leave will be reduced by simply dying off.

That older voter in 2016 at least had a memory of the UK being a wealthy country with a strong purchasing power, whereas the purchasing power of some former eastern bloc countries are projected to surpass the UK in coming years. That's where going it alone will wear thin with the younger cohorts.

Your assuming when the Remainers are older that the tabloids won't find a bogey man to scare them into being anti rejoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That older voter in 2016 at least had a memory of the UK being a wealthy country with a strong purchasing power

Not so sure about that, there was rationing well into the 1950s and strict post-war austerity for most of that decade, the UK had a protracted sterling crisis in the 1960s and after a few years of turmoil was forced to devalue its fixed exchange rates. Then in the 1970s it all went to pot again and the IMF had to come in in 1975. Oddly I never heard anything said about the latter when it was UK commentators talking about Ireland's economic strife...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Brexit benefit: Fine art business shifting to Paris from London.

"The New Darling of the European Art Trade? Paris."

(https://archive.ph/wGrGH)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It is ironic the Steve Baker, SoS for NI, is suggesting a super majority for a border poll on NI - I think 60%-40% when he was enthusiastically running with 52%-48% for Brexit, and could see nothing wrong with the fact that both NI and Scotland voted against Brexit.

It is good to see that he can change his view so radically when he sees what a total disaster Brexit has turned out to be.

That's one interpretation.

The other, less charitable one is that he knows that both Brexit and the Union aren't sacred cows so he's trying to buttress them against referenda. He got what he wanted via a referendum so nobody should be able to have one that might enact something he disagrees with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Economics101

Brexit: the gift that keeps on giving:

I'm sure that he Authorities in the R of I would not have taken any action, so mayne its down to pedantic jobsworths in the NHS administration.

Advertisement