Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

What a weekend, my nerves were gone watching the last 10 minutes of the Rugby. It was nice and stormy in the South East all day today really got into it!

Although like others here I've held off on touching the heating just yet 😂

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That rugby match despite the result was not enjoyable at all the stress!!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Definitely not I'm glad we've some time to recover next weekend with the break! Don't think I've even been as stressed watching Ireland play

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not sure if true but apparently Elton John dislikes 'Step Into Christmas'

He's definitely coked out of his mind in the video

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

From a 2020 interview

”Written one morning and recorded the following afternoon, Elton John’s Step Into Christmas is a perennial festive favourite.

The first song written by Elton and Bernie Taupin to be a stand alone single, it was something of Christmas present to thank fans after a successful year for Elton.

He’d already had hits in 1973 from albums Don’t Shoot Me I’m Only the Piano Player and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road when he decided to do something a little different.

“The Christmas single is a real loon about and something we’d like to do a lot more of,” he explained in an interview with Melody Maker.

Along with the interestingly titled B-side, Ho, Ho, Ho (Who’d Be A Turkey At Christmas), the Christmas record was all one day’s work – that day being Sunday November 11 1973 at Morgan Studios in London.

“We wanted to make an homage to Phil Spector. Part of what made Phil Spector records were the rooms, the musicians and the ambience,” said Elton of the song, which also features Kiki Dee on uncredited backing vocals.

The video sees Taupin cameo playing tubular bells and Elton proudly holding his Watford FC supporters’ card aloft (he’d become the club’s chairman just a few years later, and now has a stand named after him at Vicarage Road.)

The song was released just a couple of weeks later on November 23 1973.

It peaked at number 24 in the UK charts on a seven week run and reached number one in the US Billboard Christmas Singles chart.”

Doesnt seem much hate there. Maybe he’s sick of hearing it all these years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

One of my favorites, we went to see him play just before Christmas one year, sadly he didn't play the song.

Picked up this little guy at the lego store over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

What a weekend! I need a weekend to recover from the weekend lol! We had a sporting weekend (outside of all our normal sports activities); we went to the Aviva on Saturday to see the Ladies match! First big match for us & holy moly, what a match! It was just brilliant, our eldest plays soccer & really loves it, so she was in her element. I'm a firm believer in "if you can see it, you can be it" & seeing the delight & awe on her face was pure magic! Then we had a tea party for my Mam's birthday & we all stayed to watch the rugby. Mother of God, the stress of it! Poor kids didn't know what was happening us all screaming at the telly! Glad we have a break before Scotland!

And in between all that, we got the Smyth's catalogue so lots of conversations about what the Big Man might be bringing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I think I need to join your group!

I’ve spent the last week planning my Christmas theme and started buying items online. B&M have their stock advertised so woke up yesterday morning and counted the hours till homesavers (Irish name for B&M) was open only to find when I got there that the Christmas stock was still on the delivery pallets!

I was so disappointed and I have this irrational fear that it’s all going to be sold out before I get the chance to go back later this week 😂

Welcome :) You're definitely one of us with the planning like that :)

Can I also point out how the heck is Wednesday 89 days to go. The decades do not hang around for long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Had a hectic weekend here too. Spent Saturday making my brothers's wedding cake, then off out to the pub to watch that hair raising match. That bit was great though as we brought the 11yo out for his first evening pub match. He declared it next best thing to beingvat the match itself and said "you know it's a good game when you make the 2nd best team in the world cry".

Then we had the wedding yesterday which was fab, the bride and groom were gorgeous and so loved up. And it's always great catching up with all the family. Extra fun cos the bride and her family are from South Africa 😆😆

Sounds like a great weekend! I think I'm still feeling the stress from that rugby match.

Surprisingly mild last few days including today, weather app is showing it as 3 degrees above the average temp for this time of year. I really hope it's not going to be a mild winter again, like having clear seasons and to wrap up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Yes, very mild, was at football last, still running around in shorts & tshirt at 9.30pm...would normally be in to the leggings at this point in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

With energy prices going to be sky high this winter and our government not giving a toss, I don't know if I want the freezing cold winters I normally like!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Was at Aldi they have Stollen @DvB.

They've also party food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I might get some of those Mince pie, not for christmas of course, heated with cream and custard lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Must try the aldi one so, I really love the favorina one in lidl but happy to try thrm all 😉

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yep, bring on the mild please!

This evening I was looking at an old electricity bill from this time in 2021- 0.1924 a unit, compared to 0.3970 one year later. It's actually sickening.

We're being gouged, there's no excuse for it anymore looking at international market rates.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oh my GOD, that chocolate orange slab looks AMAZING! It's so hard to stay on the straight and narrow with food!!

Yep! Big time, everything looks so good, love the chocolate slabs as well.

How there isn't an energy price regulator is beyond me, how energy companies are allowed to post record profits while people struggle to heat their homes is beyond me the government needs to step in big time.

Another mild morning, the wind is warm out there today so far.

89 days to go today... yikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

House across the road from me put up their Christmas Tree Last night.

Way to fuckn early......

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Ah look you never know what is happening in a household. Locally here a family celebrated Christmas last Sunday because their young child is very sick and may not make it to Christmas. They asked people to send them Christmas cards and all to make it feel real. I'm not saying that is the case with your neighbour but it might be, unless they do this every year. If it's just a regular old Christmas though, it is a tad early. And by 'a tad' I mean about 2 months!

Down in westport on site today, rain when driving down was biblical and has now reached here too, wind starting to pick up significantly too, the drive home should be fun so.

A few on here like this!

• Advertisement

Airtricity have just announced a 12% reduction in unit price for Electricity and 10% reduction in unit price in Gas from 1st November, who knew Airtricity were such big Christmas Forum fans.

Advertisement