Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Nice to see them joking about it now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Daniel Ricciardo and Yuki Tsunoda confirmed as driving for Alpha Tauri next year, with Liam Lawson as the 3rd driver.

Confirms to me that red bull haven't a clue what they want with the Alpha Tauri team. If they wanted the lineup that offers the best to the overall red bull project then they should have gone with Daniel and Liam (it's clear now that they will never put Yuki in the red bull), if they wanted the lineup that offers the best for the Alpha Tauri team only they should have gone with Yuki and Liam. This is a weird halfway house.

What I could see happening next year though is if Daniel impresses and Checo continues to struggle that Daniel gets moved to red bull mid season, Liam takes his seat and Checo is without a drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭oceanman

there is no way they are ever going to put Daniel Ricciardo back in a red bull, he is well past his best at this stage...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Depends on how well he goes next year in the Alpha I guess. If he consistently gets the maximum out of the car and Perez continues to struggle, they might promote Danny in 25 to grab more points for the constructors. They might will need a more consistent points scorer if their car advantage is smaller next year.

Bit of a shame for Lawson though, maybe he can stay in the picture until Yuki buggers off with Honda to Aston.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It's very harsh on Lawson not getting seat, Williams would have been a good choice for him. Baffled to why Williams are keeping Sargeant for next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Red Bull need a driver to replace Perez in 2025. Tsunoda and Ricciardo don't look good enough to step up to the main team. Lawson needs more seat time to prove himself. He's going to waste another year on the side-lines by the looks of it. It would make sense to loan him out to Williams for a year or two.

Williams must be on the lookout for a new driver for next year. Sergeant isn't confirmed as far as I know, and he is doing a Mick Schumacher on it this year, not fast and causing a lot of expensive crash damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Harika

I read today that Williams asked Mercedes for simulator data from Mick and after reviewing decided not to offer him a contract.

Sergeant causing another crash not helping himself by today's crash. But no other Americans available. FIA really should have upgraded IndyCar superlicense points to get access to the drivers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭thefa

Agree completely. Ricciardo is a popular driver who beat Max at one stage and has race wins. Feels like an age in racing terms since he had form though. The win in 2021 was a big exception in a year Norris had the better of him. His confidence seemed shot at McClaren in 2022.

Looks past it as you say but given the longevity of some drivers these days and the ability of some in the lower half of the grid, don’t see why he can’t earn a place on the grid for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

And ironically, it was his old McLaren that put him back out in Zandvoort.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Along time ago since ricciardo was in the red bull but he was successful in Renault.

The mclaren was a write off but he looked OK in the AT until his injury so jury is still out.

Post edited by mickdw on

• Advertisement

Riccardo would be a great driver for Aston Martin. A bit of a missed opportunity

The thing with Ricciardo isn't so much if we think he's good enough for red bull, but there does seem to be a belief in the red bull team around him.

A reason in alpha Tauri (who is rumoured to be using way more red bull parts next year) will prove or disprove this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

I presume Riccardo is in the AT next year to keep him fresh enough should RB need to pull the trigger and boot Perez out mid season.

Lawson will then slot in beside Yuki.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

So max can win the title in the sprint race in 2 weeks time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Eff it, just put Lawson in the other Red Bull, he could hardly do worse than Perez. They have the Constructors now so nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I've looked it up now, the last time someone won the title on a Saturday was at the '82 Caesar's Parking Lot GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭klose

Can't imagine Sargent will be driving for Williams next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,261 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You'd think that but the second red bull seat is a bit toxic. If you look at the drivers who have failed in that seat but we they're good drivers because they do well elsewhere after being dropped in ignominy. Gasley and Albon spring to mind form recent years. But then there's Ricciardo, Vettel and now Perez.

Who was the last driver who actually excelled in the second seat? Webber is probably the last one.

Ferrari are poor in lots of regards but they are getting decent results from both drivers. Sainz was probably behind Leclerc but he's done well to get ahead of Leclerc as this season progressed. Mercedes are getting good performances from both drivers. Same with mclaren.

I think red bull need to look at their own systems and how they can support both drivers. I'd say Lawson would be swallowed up if he went to the Red Bull second seat, no matter how good he is or how much potential he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭thefa

Only watched the extended highlights. There’s been some nice development this year for intra team rivalries. Happy that most of them are confirmed for next year again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

How come Red Bull were allowed send there second car with Perez back out after retiring it? Surely this should be illegal and not allowed.

I am sure there will be a lot of teams not too happy that they done that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

They said on sky's coverage that it's legal, but FIA aren't happy, so will look to tighten up any loopholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I guess they are unhappy the for reasons about serving the penalty, but I wouldn't have thought that sending a fixed car back out is beyond the realm of possibility.

I thought that happened back in the days of high dnf where you could get back in the points by finishing.

Will see how they address it anyway.

You still need to be within 107% of the winner to be classified. And yes perfectly legal to repair a car and send it out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The 107% rule relates solely to qualifying no? Not sure if it also impacts the race but don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 23,662 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

As above thats only for qualifying.

I'm surprised as this has happened before a few times, its niche sure but it happens.

Perez and Raikkonen unretired in Baku's first grand prix after a red flag. Raikkonen retired a second time iirc.

And Coulthard and Salo both made late-ish reappearances after retiring in the late 90's wet clusterfùck of a Belgian race. They were I think 7 laps down there were only 6 runners left and the top 6 got points so while Coulthard eventually finished 7th, one more retirement and he had a point.

It was doing it to avoid a future penalty that will likely be clamped down on/he'll get a grid penalty next race anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭kksaints

Think you have to complete 90% of the race distance to be classified. Remember in the 90s you'd often have nom classified finishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I think that Belgian GP was what I remembered re the unretiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,261 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I take your word for it on the 90% rule. I'll the 90s and 00s you also had cars classified who retired a few laps from the end. How that worked was always a mystery to me (and the commentators as I recall)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

62) RACE CLASSIFICATION

• 62.1 The car placed first will be the one having covered the scheduled distance in the shortest time, or, where appropriate, passed the Line in the lead at the end of two (2) hours (or more under Article 5.5). All cars will be classified taking into account the number of complete laps they have covered, and for those which have completed the same number of laps, the order in which they crossed the Line.
    • 62.2 Cars having covered less than 90% of the number of laps covered by the winner (rounded down to the nearest whole number of laps), will not be classified.

From the sporting regulations. - https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/fia_2023_formula_1_sporting_regulations_-_issue_1_-_2022-07-19.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,662 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thats simple, they got classiffied by virtue they could have done say 68/70 laps yet you could have cars finish the race 3 or 4 laps down, thus finishing only on their lap 66/67.

So the car that managed 68 laps would have to be classed ahead of the ones that only did 66/67

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement