Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ionity charging network

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Crap, didn't think of that 😬

There were two QR codes, bottom one was direct pay and worked with the app.

Top one wasn't recognised by the apl but I can't remember the error. I think it might be for starting it via a partner network like We Charge

They were all in one sticker, and it didn't look like another sticker had been slapped over it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Also, many of the ionity stations had the wrong QR code and stall number on them. (e.g. In city noth, that'll 1 had the QR of stall on it. Similar in Athlone and Kill, if I recall)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Try chargepoint, they also ship a free card and are 73c/kWh on ionity (vs 79c from shell)

Yeah I'll probably give them a shot as well, didn't realise they had a card now

Wouldn't it be great if there was some magic plastic card that let you pay for anything which you could use on the chargers 😒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,760 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I’ve a ChargePoint card and it’s the only card I’ve ever used for Ionity…. Twice in Lithuania and twice here….

Or if you could select how much you want to buy on a touchscreen and pay by cash/card at a self service terminal, similar to numerous petrol/diesel facilities already in existence in this country

Your single card for every provider is a good one but would probably require legislation at a national or EU level to be viable

I was talking about a debit card 😉

The good news is that the new EU regulations around fast charging requires "simple" payment methods and specifically calls out credit and debit cards

The Irish EV charging regulations also recommend having card terminals, although I left feedback that this should be the default payment method and apps/RFID cards should be secondary

I would recommend other people to say something similar if the public feedback is still open

I do like the idea of a set spending limit. Makes it easier to not run over budget in case one of the kids needs an emergency bathroom break while the car is charging

It could even open up the possibility of using some sort of cash payment (dare I say it). You'd probably want a seperate cash terminal since it'll inevitably get robbed and nobody wants the chargers getting wrecked in the process

Corri-door in France had a neat system where you could buy vouchers in shops if you didn't have an RFID card. Could be useful in a pinch

The one that springs to mind is the Tara petrol/diesel station on the dock road in Limerick. Each pump set has its own touch screen,

Step 1: You start by selecting your fuel.

Step 2: Select the amount in € you wish to fill by.

Step 3: Either pay that amount in cash or your credit/debit card will hold that amount.

If you don't use the full amount you originally selected your card only charges you for the amount you filed and you subsequently get the hold back or in the case of cash you get a voucher for your next visit

Benefits

Cash and Card are accepted - no old people complaints

Card holds match the amount you initially wanted to fill by rather than a fixed amount. Not looking at anobody in particular Cough APPLEGREEN Cough

Corri-door in France had a neat system where you could buy vouchers in shops if you didn't have an RFID card. Could be useful in a pinch

Not a bad solution either I'll admit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

I have an Elli card which is supposed to give me ~50% off at ionity. It hasnt worked for the last 6 months and apparently wont work until the end of October. Elli have told me it is an issue on the Ionity side. So it could be linked to this.

I would be interested to hear if any other Elli users have experienced this? They are unwilling to refund me despite me paying a monthly amount to access this discount.

• Advertisement

I was with We Charge (Elli rebranded for VW) and they stopped taking Revolut. I responded with an email saying they're idiots and I'd report them to the CCPC

So now I'm hunting for alternatives

Tbh, starting it via the Ionity app was straightforward enough and was able to use Google pay, so I might just use that

It's just handy to have a card in case the phone is dead or doesn't have signal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭innrain

I have elli from last year. I have 35c at Ionity and works without any problems. It also works with ESB and ePower which I tested. It also claims access to EV box and Liikennevirta units although never tried them. I used it in the UK at some BP charger again no issues. Can't you start charging from the app?

Shell Recharge and Chargepoint (-charegpoin+) offer free cards that work on ionity. Easygo cards work also but the cards are not free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭cromelex

The freshmile card works on Ionity, and it only costs 5 euro to get the card. They charge 0.30€ kWh + 0.45€/min on Ionity.

This has worked really well for me.

That's not bad... The faster your car charges the less it costs you... Quick bit of maths suggests that at that price if you charge at 100kW you'd be paying 57c/kWh equivalent

The only issue I have with freshmile is that you have to top up an account to use whereas chargepoint will come directly off a credit or debit card

I have a Kia EV6 so on Ionity I will always charge at >150kW,and have been able to max out quite a few times at 236 kW. If you car charges fast, and if you can pre-condition, it saves you a bit.

I did a few charges in August at an average of just under 0.50 eur, and almost 180kWh in September at an average of 0.4522 eur.

You don't have to top up - they will put a hold of 50 EUR on the card and then debit for the exact amount, which typically happens in less than 24h, often less than 6. This has worked fine for me without the need to top up.

• Advertisement

You don't have to top up - they will put a hold of 50 EUR on the card and then debit for the exact amount, which typically happens in less than 24h, often less than 6. This has worked fine for me without the need to top up.

This I did not know... Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

Ionity City North now showing 3rd CCS availible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

I am another Freshmile convert after seeing a post here been using them mainly on Ionitys over the last few months never had an issue

I do have my account linked to my credit card as well and it just seem take the amount in question

I recently stumbled across www.chargeprice.app - game changer for me to see all the tariffs listed for all providers in one place!

Toppy

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭crl84

All 4 new ones still showing as unavailable in my app.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dsandson

After seeing Kevin101's post I had a look myself. Saw 5 & 6 available first, then number 3 available with 5 and 6 unavailable. So likely in testing. I guess it won't be long now

• Advertisement

I spotted 3 as occupied earlier, so it definitely looks like testing is going on

However, why enable them one at a time? Could be that the grid connection hasn't been upgraded yet and they didn't want to risk pulling 2.1MW by accident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

2 guys were working on the 4 new units yesterday so, should be up soon. 2 of the chargers look like they have longer reach cables so if you have a tow bar mounted bike rack you can still charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭crl84

Only charger 2 showing as available now.

The 4 new chargers in city North are all powered already (their screens are on) but they still have the "coming soon" stuck on them.

Can't be long.

They're still not on, just saw a guy in a Porsche try to start one before unplugging, going back to the car and moving to one of the 2 original chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭vinniem

Showing charger 1, 2 and 6 up and running in city north

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There’s a lead time of about 2-3 years for transformers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

33k for a graduate engineer.

ESB can’t keep young engineers as their competitors are paying far more

Agree, that's a sh!t wage for a graduate engineer these days, particularly considering many of them are coming out with a master's now

Graduate software engineer would probably get closer to €40k and not have to truck around the country in a van, commute is the distance from bed to desk

All of the chargers in city North are now online.

They're showing up on my Kia Charge, the "coming soon" notices are gone, and I just saw someone successfully charging on one of the new ones.

Woohoo, M1 is no longer a SPOF charging disaster

I wonder if Applegreen are going to feel the effects of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭vinniem

Yayyyyy

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eltoastero

I hope they do, they've had plenty of time to get the finger out and develop solid charging hubs at any/all of their sites on the M1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭denismc

It's great to see this up and running, in 5 years of EV driving this is the only place I have had to queue for any length of time .

A major bottleneck eliminated thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭gar

Athlone was very busy today at about 1:30 /2 today. Space opened up when I arrived and plenty circling after that. I was only 10 mins but still there was one still parked for 25mins when I left

Have had an issue trying to get freshmile card starting a charge twice now on ionity.

I had a card associated on it the first time but no joy. Topped the account up with e50 for the next time and still no joy.

Card is activated.

Changepoint worked without issue

Hopefully Ionity see how busy the sites are getting and queue them for the next upgrade

Was in Gorey one Sunday a few weeks back, site wasn't particularly busy but 2 chargers were always being used

Still no sign of locations for Cork, Galway and Limerick. I suspect they're still struggling to get deals with tenants

Any error on the screen? Freshmile has worked for me without issues, except for s single location in spain (Arrigorriaga) - which was a brand new ionity, like a couple of weeks old, which wasn't yet showing on their app.

This happened to me as well at the weekend in Kill North Ionity - error was a verification error if I recall right. And I have used the same card at Kill North a few weeks past. Wondering if something is going on there regarding Ionity access and Freshmile :(

Gonna give this a go again tomorrow and take a pic of there is an issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭traco

Picked up a new Model Y Friday and headed for Kill North to use the Ionity. Had card set up and verified from Thursday. Three attempts again to verify BOI MasterCard, push notification came through each timr and verified but no joy.

Fourth time I selected Google pay and it went through on Revolut. Mrs Traco very unimpressed as it's her car. Have to agee with her as it was rubbish. Plus side it charged quick but not cheap.

Hopefully will only need them if really stuck going forward cos that was very very poor. Guy in a Taycan said he could only get it working using his RFID card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Had a similar issue last Tuesday there with Freshmile. Tried 2 different Ionity Units as it was quiet and got same error on both. Rang Ionity support and after at least 10mins of disconnect, reconnect, tap card etc. eventually the charge session started. The support agent didn’t seem to have a clue as to what was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Kill North (Circle K). I tried Stalls 3 and 4 and 4 eventually worked while I was on the phone to Ionity Support.

Thanks thats good to know!

On a different note as I had to do an ionity direct instead of freshmile for last Saturday I noticed on my invoice that they had charged me 73c including Vat!!

I have pointed out to them on the support site that their website says 71c including vat

Just incase anyone anyone else gets caught..

Toppy

Used Kill North again on Friday - Freshmile card worked this time!

Happy to pay 27euros for 50kwh instead of 35! (although Ionity is charging Vat at 13.5 and Freshmile is charging at 20%)

• Advertisement

Went to Athlone today and there was an e2008 parked perpendicular to bay 4 and occupying another parking spot. Had to laugh.

Then some electric Audi, could have been some hybrid came into bay 3 at about a 45 degree angle. They hadn't a clue how to connect. Moved to bay 1 beside me, tried again and then headed off.

Mad Ted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭wassie

Athlone Ionity has really turned into a sh!tshow since the summer. Used to use it weekly, but avoid it now because of this and general congestion. ESB at Kinnegad is a much better option on the M4/M6 route now ESB have been able to actually design a decent hub.

That's actually remarkably good parking by Audi standards, usually they're halfway across the kerb as well

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

Thanks Wassie, this site isn't showing on my app 👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Theres now 6 fully functional HPC plugs at that site, the Ionity Athlone, 4 Ionity and one dual headed Circle K 350kW with 2 ccs plugs

• Advertisement
Advertisement