Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Scotland. Saturday 7th October. Stade DeFrance

• 25-09-2023 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭

Good article .. explains all the permutations ahead of the Scotland match .. lots of them

Listening to some commentary many seem to be bypassing/ignoring the Scotland game and straight to the All Blacks in quarters

"Can Ireland qualify even if they lose and don't get any bonus points against Scotland? Yes, but it is an unlikely scenario."

From Gregor Townsend post Scotland match Sunday:

“Reading a few comments after the game it looked like Ireland were already in the quarter-finals and [there are] even people chatting today saying that Ireland are playing New Zealand, so for us maybe that’s already been decided.

We know we have to win our next two games. It’s likely now that we’ll have to win with a bonus point or deny Ireland a bonus point but we’ve got a game next week to focus on and we have to get maximum points from that one first.” 

Should we be a little more mindfull of Scotland and dont just dismiss them / forget them?

Post edited by Cookiemunster on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Journalists, pundits, the public can say all they want about Scotland, quarter finals and beyond. The only thing that matters is what the coaches and players do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭threeball

Ireland need to trust the depth we're saying we have. No point in bringing a big squad to the tournament and trying to play the same 15 start to finish. Its eventually going to catch up on you. Murray, Henderson, Conan, Bealam and a couple of others need a proper full test game as they'll be needed at some stage if we progress. I don't see those guys dropping the standard by coming in and we should have enough for Scotland regardless. You can always keep our first choice guys on the bench to come in at 60 to 65mins to close it out if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If we went full strength against Tonga we can be fairly confident they're not going to be making multiple changes for Scotland. Saturday was great but lets not lose the run of ourselves. SA went full strength against the Scots and that game was still very much in the balance in the early stages of the second half. We're a better team than Scotland but they're not mugs.

We would be very foolish to think they we can make multiple changes and not impact on our chances at all. Cohesion alone in both attack and defence would suffer. All it takes is one unforeseen incident such as a red card and we're in major trouble and wondering why we didn't have our full strength team on the field.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I'd say Farrell is more likely to do the opposite. Start his first team and if they can close it off by half time (which they will be trying to do, but is far from guaranteed), he can then bring the bench on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,605 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Conan and Sheehan to start, possibly one of Baird and McCarthy too. I think McCloskey and JOB will make the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Would like to see Sheehan, Finlay and Conan start for this. Not rotation per se but because they deserve it and helps with team fatigue. I don’t see their starting as a dip in quality at all. Obviously Sheehan is de facto no 1

would also like to start Henshaw as was impressed with his cameo. Hopefully his form is coming back. However I don’t think you put Bundee on bench. When a player is on a hot streak like that let them ply and I wouldn’t swap him for Ringrose as that might be too big a change to dynamics of backline. So think Henshaw remains on bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

We will make 2 or 3 changes. AF won't take Scotland as a given.

Ireland by 15-18

We are better across the park from 1-23 and I don't see standards in focus dropping at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Wouldn't surprise me if O'Brien and/or McCloskey get runs out - maybe McCloskey in for Aki and O'Brien on the bench.

AF is huge about landmarks and squad togetherness. He can easily keep the majority of the first team team intact while peppering in a few other players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I'm in Boston when this match is on - I trust on an Irish forum that someone can recommend me an Irish bar in Boston? Otherwise humanity has no hope...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

mj o connors is upmarket near the seaport

me Dooleys in downtown, there’s a few around downtown anyway so you won’t go wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I would start Bealham...he 100% deserves it.

Nothing against Furlong, just Bealham has been taking his opportunities every time he has been called upon.

Reward the man.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Bealham wasn't great v Samoa. But, he's been very good for a year or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Samoa game was a warm up and completely irrelevant to now. it was his first/second run out of season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Who?

Nah. Take them seriously. I honestly think the team and management are looking at this game as a knockout one.

There'll be no relaxing.

Nope. Samoa game was about getting gametime into players with an eye on getting ready for the weekend just gone and October 7th

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭noc1980

The Samoa game is the reason we've put our strongest team out in every game and will continue to as long as we're in it. Samoa was a dress rehearsal for the Tonga game, our B side didn't deliver and Farrell had to change plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Homer

I was in Boston the weekend just gone and watched the SA game in the Dubliner and there was a great crowd/atmosphere for it. Plenty of screens and a decent pint of the black stuff if that floats your boat 👍🏻

Ordinarily 3 of our starting 15 would be gone by this stage with injuries. So having 12 first team and bringing in 3 players sounds a good balance.

Hopefully sub some of the 12 if we're doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Sexton needs to be rested………..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dublin49

Scotland are 5 in the world rating,the best available team is required and hopefully Scotland will play to their ranking and no more ,the great leveller nowadays in Rugby is the red card from anywhere ,we are odds on favourites and rightly so but its not a given and will be hard fought win if and when we achieve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Bealham, Henshaw, Murray, Henderson should start.

Murray is really coming back to something like his best form. He was very important in the closing 20min of the game.

It's a big plus. Especially when on with a relatively inexperienced player like Crowley in the half backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭blackcard

There is a fine balance. An 8 point defeat and we are on the plane home. It is do or die for Scotland so they are going to throw everything at us. If Russell has a good game, any result is possible so I expect we will put out a very strong team. Sheehan and Finlay should start along with Porter but If, by any chance, we have a good lead, Kilcoyne to come on early. Henderson and Beirne to start, Ryan to replace Beirne early if we have a lead.

Other than that, the only change to be Henshaw instead of Ringrose. Maybe Conan on the bench too.

The danger is if we do progress but pick up injuries along the way,the likes of Loughman, O'Toole, Casey, O'Brien will have no recent match practice if required to play. Also, you need to keep the fringe players happy. But, the priority has to be to make sure that we qualify for the quarter final

The Scots like a scrappy game, so we must play a structured game. Nullify their out half and they really don't have a Plan B, but never underestimate them and I don't think AF will.

W

Will people stop talking about Russell like he's the messiah! Talented player but so selfish.

Give him the ball as much as possible and close him down. Vdf and o"mahoney.

As for their wings...Great in attacks but...

Exactly, get to him and it makes the whole task easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Isn't it that Scotland will have to score 4 tries and beat us by 8 or more to send us home?

We will go into the match on 14 points, they will come in on 10 assuming they get bonus v Romania which they will for sure.

If it comes down to level on points I presume it goes to points difference, we are +122 they are only on +13 so I can't see them overhauling that to be honest in their last 2 matches.

They will need bonus point win and us not to get a bonus in that case?

On that list of players that might need game time, the only one that there is really the case for is O'Brien (based on the presumption Earls hasn't past him as the preferred utility back).

For all the others there would need to be two injuries in the direct position they're covering, or an in game implosion, for for them to see any meaningful game time. The non-injured player in front of them will be flogged due to the significant drop off in quality from the #2 to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If we are both on 14 and south Africa on 15 then they'd go through on head to head. If we're all on 15 them it's points difference.

The 2 weeks is of great benefit. The front liners will be fresh again.

Hopefully Scotland will prepare the team for NZ like Tonga did for SA.

I know Scotland are better than Tonga. But if we play at all we'll beat Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Oh ok. Didn't realise there was head to head element. I expect South Africa will reach 15 but I doubt it will come down to it anyway.

• Advertisement

I'd say we can't wait to get our hands on Scotland.

I think we're just coming into our peak. Defence has been excellent, our attack has been good against questionable opposition but we found enough to outscore South Africa despite a lot going wrong. Our mental resilience has been excellent, but our conditioning really showed on Saturday. We were well able for collisions and if anything it seems South Africa were almost a bit taken aback by the physicality of the Irish pack.

It's going to come together against Scotland I feel. I think we'll have the BP by half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Not quite; for a 3-way tie the team with the best points difference tops the group and second place is decided by the head to head result between the other 2 teams.

So a loss 5-1 to Scotland and we all tie on 15 points, and South Africa have the best points difference then we’d be out for losing to Scotland in the head to head result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Just FYI, the information in that first article is wrong about what happens if 3 teams tie on match points, but the second article has it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭blackcard

It depends on what you call 'meaningful'. If either furlong or Bealham are injured, O'Toole would be playing for maybe 25 minutes. Similarly, Casey could be playing for 20 minutes. If Porter was injured, best to book flights home

Yes, AP is just extraordinary. Packed down against 22 stone and more than held his own. Full 80 minutes in him every match.

We're on different pages here then.

In the knockouts, I don't see them pulling Furlong off for O'Toole until Furlong's tank is completely empty. Can't see that happening until maybe 10 min to go.

I'd go further with Casey and say I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't come on until around 5 min to go, if at all, in a tight match - like the Crowley treatment against SA. Again, with the caveat that unless the starting SH gets injured or is completely gassed or just playing poorly. If we're chasing the game or it looks in hand that could be a different story but in those scenarios I don't think a bit of extra game time now makes a difference in how he'd perform.

Porter is McCaw esque in his durability and the way he's rarely injured.

Referees should also grant AP the leniency they granted McCaw.😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Seadin

If we have any ambitions of getting past a QF. We will have it dispatch Scotland with minimal fuss. Scotland are good but no way are they good enough to beat Ireland. If Ireland click I reckon we could destroy them.

A bit off topic but I wonder what Johnny Sexton will do post retirement. You'd think he'd make a great backs coach.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement