Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price gouging by the pub, restaurant & hotel industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Remember that those that own their own homes have much more disposable cash than those that dont, or those that rent, especially.

I think that needs to be called out also as anyone owning property in Dublin and working fulltime is likley to have a lot of disposable cash.

Therefore, a pint moving from 7 to 8 or 9 or 10 euro even is not going to bother you, should you be fortunate enough to be in that situation.

We should also bear in mind that there are lots of people on 6 figure salaries in Dublin.

I think the sad thing is there is a real divide between the haves and the have nots.

Although the bars & restaurants are packed in Dublin, it wouldnt suprise me if its only 10% or 15% of the population that actually goes out to fill them.

So 85% to 90% of the population who rent or are on a lower or average income never get to do it, but that 10% to 15% is 200k people in Dublin alone and they fill a lot of bar/restaurant space.

Then factor in the tourists and business travellers and you soon rack up a customer base larger than cork citys population that can easily afford to go out when they fancy.

A tale of 2 cities, you might say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I wouldn't say.

Your point? Is it jealousy?

Everyone can afford a beer or two on occasion. Its about budgeting and priorities.

Not everyone I dont think.

But true the average worker may be able to go out once a quarter.

I am talking about the people out every week/other week.

I think if you took a straw poll in a busy city centre bar tonight, you would find most customers are in that top 10 or 15% - or are tourists/business travellers.

Whereas 10 or 15 yrs ago, there would be a more even distribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I agree

Good pubs and restaurants serving expensive food and pints will remain

The market is there for that in the cities and always will be

There's plenty who don't care about 10€ euro pints and €50 euro dinners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

What absolute nonsense, typically you have no clue what you are talking about, I own my home but i also have two kids in childcare so im effectively paying the equivalent 2 extra mortgages on top of our actual 1, now I can just about to afford to do that thanks to the income we bring in but it leaves us with very little to spend on ourselves at the end of the day, which is fine thats the life we chose BUT I also work with many people younger than me who earn quite a bit less than me, they rent and from chatting to them they are out at least 1 night a weekend if not 2 which they absolutely deserve to be doing. Basically long story short your "theory" is nonsense because you are painting with an INCREDIBLY broad brush that doesnt consider ANY of the other circumstances beyond home ownership might have on someones finances which deffinitely seems to be based off some level of jealousy or classism mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I'm a homeowner with no kids, money pouring out my ears. I'm still not paying 20 quid for a f*cking salad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭fliball123

I do agree people in Dublin who own their own house with no mortgage and with a great job have a great platform to spend on luxuries. Having said that if it was just a pint moving from say 5 Euro to 9 Euro the footfall might not effected but its in every aspect of living from using a toll bridge, to filling your petrol tank, or from your takeaway to heating your home, they are going start feeling the pinch when it comes to spend at some point remember those working do retire, they also in a lot of cases have multiple kids that they may well try and help financially and of course the question of value for money will enter in to a lot of peoples minds unless they are mega rich. The figures of restaurant/bar closures bears out that your correct regards to Dublin holding up better than the rest of the country. So like I say in 10/15/20 years time the traditional Irish landscape will be completely unrecognizable and Dublin may become the mecca for eating out/night outs for the entire country. Its kind of sad to saee how its playing out and there seems to be a lot of areas in the outskirts of Dublin where the local has closed so it will be more Dublin city center that will probably remain unscathed through the cost of living crisis.

You arent a homeowner. You are mortgaged. I am referring to the folks that own their home (or at least are very close to it)

Do the young people you are talking about rent or house share?

House share people will go out a bit. Sure. But if they are renting on their own, they likley wont be out in the pubs unless they are in the 6 figure salary bracket.

As i said, broady speaking, those that are out are home owners, (not with mortgage) or on high salaries or are tourists. People in house shares will also make up a percentage of the bar flies, but they arent renting, they are sharing.

I agree that the cost of child care is crazy and tha plays a part whilst your kids are in that age bracket.

I dont know why people keep saying I must be jealous. I go out pretty often and thats how I am able to make the observations.

I have no issue with 7 euro a pint.

• Advertisement

Yes. All good observartions and certainly there is a ticking time bomb coming down the line as the high earners retire.

But for now, given that the 30 and 40 somethings are the largest demographics in Dublin by a good way, I think the party will keep fizzing for a while yet. Especially the restaurant scene, due to the age bracket of the wealth.

I agree with you that it is sad to see the impact on rural ireland.

Once the license system is overhauled and the rural pubs cant sell on their license to Dublin/Cork/Galway anymore, I think there will be a further ramp up in rural pub closures, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

24.50 for a Corned beef sandwich with chips and a coffee in BlackRock - newly opened place called "The Fig"

Delicious it was - but obscenely priced. I won't be back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Don't be so patronising. I, and others here, understand that trading conditions have changed. We understand that the circumstances of everyone has changed.

What they also understand is that there are businesses out that are deliberately price gouging too, and we're not willing to make excuses and roll over for them.

Thats the place that closed and reopened recently.

It was the Mellow Fig. Now just the Fig?

Would you know a business which is price gouging from one that has raised prices due to costs with no increase in profit?

Surely you wouldn’t base that assumption on price alone. I really don’t think you have any understanding of how businesses work, your understanding is limited to: Price hike = Gouging.

I'll know when I'm being asked to pay over the odds for something and I won't do it.

You can carry on making all the excuses you need.

Believing that you are paying over the odds is subjective, when you think someone is gouging you, it kinda helps to have some insight into what factors may influence price increases.

As I said, you can carry on making all the excuses you need to.

But everyone reaches their price point eventually where they won't pay because the value simply isn't there.

Rising costs of doing business is a pretty valid excuse for any business raising prices, surely you understand that basic tenet of commerce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It doesn't really matter. Once a business gets a reputation for charging high prices for a poor quality product word will spread fast. A burger costing the guts of 20 euro in a pub is a high price to me regardless of their costs. More power to them if they are getting it and turning a profit but if they aren't turning a profit then look for another line of business. Don't be whinging about the vat rate.

Perception is everything.

• Advertisement

Keep making all the excuses you need to.

The rising costs of living will mean that more and more people will not be paying over the odds for something they deem has no value. It, simply, won't be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I think he they have a valid point re disposable income - if you bought in the last 10 years you would be closer to that posters "renter" category though, vs someone who bought 15-20+ years ago and managed their mortgage well - they may only be paying 500 euro a month vs your 1000+, their kids would also be grown up enough not to need childcare now also.

Don't forget - your mortgage may be 1000/1500 but there is plenty of couples renting for 2K + with kids currently.

That’s a different discussion, poor quality is poor quality, cheap or expensive. Tony’s appreciation of gouging seems limited to price alone, he seems unable to understand that if a service costs more to provide, (which most people understand it does now) then price rises are inevitable. That may not necessarily be gouging, it’s just commerce.

You seem determined to keep banging on with excuses.

You know what's also "commerce"...people not paying rip off prices because it's not worth it. 😉

I'd again disagree. To me a burger that costs 20 euro is too expensive regardless of the quality. It's a burger.

You'd prefer the business to close down, then?

Because that's your current position, whether you acknowledge it or not. Inflation impacts business just as much as ordinary citizens. A restaurant has to achieve a typical gross profit of around 70% on a dish. If ingredient costs go up, that makes an already difficult situation even more difficult. And that's without even considering other costs, such as rent or electricity. Value for money may go down, but that's secondary. The business needs to exist to offer a service of some value to begin with. They don't decrease value for money for the success of a business. Very few businesses could get away with that approach, anyway.

Your simplistic approach that all customers are victims of big business is so far from reality, it's embarrassing.

Oscar Wilde was correct about some people knowing the price of everything and value of nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Thats exactly my point they classed anyone who owned a house as having disposable income which is absolutely not the case. Despite having them on ignore i took a look and they look to be trying to backtrack now and claim anyone who is on a mortgage doesnt own their house but having interacted with this poster before its just their typical refusal to admit when they were wrong.

• Advertisement

Perhaps. But he wasn't wrong on that occasion though. 😄

Advertisement