Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of "Zombie" by The Cranberries as an Irish sporting anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jayus that is 30 years ago now. That was the real turning point, the Irish public were disgusted by that bombing.

I remember at school one of my teachers put a photo/picture of Tim Parry up beside the blackboard and left it there all year.

It is no wonder that Delores was moved to pen a song about it, Irish people were sick of at that stage. There was nothing heroic about it the whole thing, and it was achieving nothing but pointless loss of lives. Worse still the 'people' who did it claimed to do it in the name of the Irish people.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

they acted in the name of the nationalist community and many of the irish people who supported the rebellion.

they would not have been able to do what they did without the support they had.

no they won't have acted in the name of everyone the same as the BA and british government didn't act in the name of everyone.

nationalists and catholics were oppressed under the apartheid regime that operated in northern ireland, so yes you were talking about victims families as well, all of who's subjecation you support based on your posts.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Interesting interpretation of an organisation that was riddled with touts, from the very top down. Were they acting in nationalist or British interests?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Zombie could only be offensive to those who are trying to retrospectively justify the Provos' campaign of nihilistic murder.

And sure enough, that's where the howls of offence have come from.

The supposed political aspect to the playing of the song was inserted by Provo lovers. This has come back to bite them and then some, they've spectacularly misjudged things and they're now running away from the very debate they brought upon themselves, just like the IRA ran away in 1994 and 1997.

This thread would not exist only for those toe curlingly cringey howls of fake offence from Provo lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭supermans ghost

aah FFS, will you stop.

Take a trip up to Derry (lovely city) and while you are there, take a walking tour of the bog side and you will see the different locations marked with flowers etc where young kids were shot and killed by the British Army. As a previous poster stated it was a dirty war both sides committed atrocities.

personally I hate the song zombie, it’s depressing , how someone would push it as a sports anthem for Irish fans is beyond me.

Here’s an idea, how about “one road “ by the Wolfe tones upbeat song, great lyrics and all you have to do is change “singin a soldiers song” to “singin Ireland’s call” to appease the northern protestants.

• Advertisement

• "it was actually the british who surrendered if there was any surrender"

Hmmm, yet it clearly states in the Constitutional Issues section of the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement that a United Ireland can only come about with the consent of the majority of the people of NI. Not sure how this can be construed as 'surrender' ........?

They didn't act in the name of the majority of the Irish people as simple as that, unless you are 'partitionist' and only count the warped loo la's particularly in NI, and the odd loo la in elsewhere. Those who Delores sang about the Zombies.

And she was spot on. When they finally copped themselves on, many didn't know what to with themselves and turned to crime instead. These were not people to be lauded and praised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

To be honest with you Snooker Loopy, I grew up in the North and people who come out with views as fervently entrenched as yours tended to be part of the problem — not part of the solution. There is plenty of blame to go around for what happened in the north, but there were plenty of people who crowed about murder and violence but did nothing constructive to actually promote or achieve it — and oft times fell into the same simplistic traps of "murderers this" and "bastards that" which actually probably compounded the problems. You seem to fall right into it.

There are many in the South who gladly milk the moral high ground afforded to them by the fact that the conflict was up North and they could preach peace from their armchairs. Things get a bit more complicated when it's a centuries old division woven into the very fabric of the world around you as soon as you opened the front door.

My advice to you would be to calm down and maybe turn to some other activity for the evening, other than being the arbiter of good and evil.

Self interest is how most of them acted in! 'The cause' was a cover when all was said and done.

I've been to Derry on multiple occasions and I'd much prefer anything by The Undertones to the Wolfe Tones, thanks.

Did the fact Bloody Sunday happened mean Bloody Friday and Claudy were justified?

Did the fact the Reavey murders at Whitecross happened mean Kingsmills was justified?

Did the fact the Castlerock murders happened mean Warrington was justified?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

No because if they were to play an anthem for Northern Ireland it would be 'Londonderry Air' as used in all (or most) sporting events for Northern Ireland, they don't have an official national anthem as is but that one is known as their sporting anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

So when Gerry Adams was covering up his pedophile brother, was that acting in the name of the nationalist community?

I'm absolutely entrenched in my views that the Provos waged a 27 year long campaign of nihilistic murder because that's exactly what it was. Are you saying I should I not be entrenched in this view? This has been posted before and it needs to be posted again - the words of John Hume.

you are incorrect, sinn fein are an all irish party.

they simply take advantage of the uk when they can because the uk owe them for brutalising the nationalist community.

yes, they do the very thing you are guilty of yourself.

you have no moral authority or moral anything to criticise anyone, tbh.

they did, yes.

we didn't come up with it, it is just reality.

1 or 2 individuals who claim to be sinn fein and ira supporters, with the rest crying about it being people looking to have a rant about sf and the ira.

ultimately it's something over nothing like the celtic symphony fo/fake outrage.

the evidence shows that the IRA were not defeated and that it was impossible to defeat them militarily, a fact stated by individuals at the highest rank of the BA.

Are you familiar with “tit for tat” killings, that’s how it was back then.

Get off your high horse, I’m sure if you had been there you would have solved it all with your magical powers of diplomacy and none of those atrocities would have happened. For every 3 examples you have , I could give you 6 by comparison, for example what did the Miami Showband do to deserve their fate.

Also seeing as you’re an undertones fan, did you know that their single “it’s Gonna Happen” (my favourite undertones song ) was written in support of the hunger strikes in 1981.

Does this mean that you’ll be burning all your undertones records now.

• Advertisement

the IRA didn't have access to tanks no.

i would agree the song is more about the british though really.

Are you familiar with “tit for tat” killings, that’s how it was back then.

Get off your high horse, I’m sure if you had been there you would have solved it all with your magical powers of diplomacy and none of those atrocities would have happened. For every 3 examples you have , I could give you 6 by comparison, for example what did the Miami Showband do to deserve their fate.

Also seeing as you’re an undertones fan, did you know that their single “it’s Gonna Happen” (my favourite undertones song ) was written in support of the hunger strikes in 1981.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Daily reminder IRA were a criminal gang who LARPed as a paramilitary organization, their main objectives were Drugs, Protection and Gun Running to criminal gangs. If your child was hooked on drugs or owed dealers money, or your business was being leaned on, you couldn't go to the police, because then you'd be a tout and it's off to an unmarked grave with you, all "for the cause" of course. So anything that irks them or their supporters brings me no small amount of joy.

When you think of it Zombie is an ideal song to be used as sporting anthem, simple lyrics good pumping air to it.

If people some minority of the warped minded are offended by Zombie, maybe it will wake them out of their slumber, and cop themselves on. Otherwise there is no hope for them.

SF's social media strategists aren't stupid, whatever they are. The problem is many of their online boosters are thick as planks. These were the eejits who couldn't hold in their eejitry and ran with this idiotic narrative about Zombie supposedly being offensive to northern Catholics. It has backfired spectacularly and they're backtracking furiously.

The reason it was like that was because the Provos deliberately created that cycle of murder.

That was nihilism.

Was John Hume on his high horse when he said what he said, which I referenced on the previous page?

Every time anything like this raises its head it's an excuse for the warped minded to fall deeper into the rabbit hole of cultism.

The exact same thought processes that are at play with Trump's cult and with Russell Brand's cult are at play with the Provo lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

The Miami Showband were as innocent as the children of Warrington but you should already know that.

When Gerry Adams ordered the murder of Jean McConville did she deserve her fate?

When Marty McGuinness kneecapped teenagers on The Bogside and in The Creggan did they deserve their fate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

When MLMC becomes Taoiseach, she'll tell us what to sing. I presume Zombie started being played in Thomond Park, a local Limerick song. The same as Frank and Walters, After All, gets played in Cork. No other agenda.

Advertisement