Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

I think one of the issues is that drivers appear to be unaware (or totally ignore) the fact that the 60km/hr speed limit is still in place in the tunnel and remains from the roadworks on the M8 right through until you approach the Mahon exit heading west on the N40. I think the signage is pretty poor and could benefit from an additional 60km/hr sign at the entrance to the tunnel as a lot of drivers assume once they enter the tunnel they are basically "clear" of the roadworks and so back to normal 80 km/hr speed limit.

I do agree the design leading all traffic from the M8 South and N25 East (traffic from Cork City) into Lane 2 of the tunnel without a reasonable chance to get into Lane 1 might be a challenge for true slow moving vehicles (i.e. heavy tractors etc) but these should be the exception and everyone else should be able to move along at close to the limit whether it be 60 or 80.

I think the no-overtaking is going to remain in the tunnel from a safety point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

I think people are fully aware that the limit in the tunnel and out towards Mahon is 60 km/h, they just ignore it because it's entirely pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

>>I think one of the issues is that drivers appear to be unaware (or totally ignore) the fact that the 60km/hr speed limit is still in place in the tunnel and remains from the roadworks on the M8 right through until you approach the Mahon exit heading west on the N40. I think the signage is pretty poor and could benefit from an additional 60km/hr sign at the entrance to the tunnel as a lot of drivers assume once they enter the tunnel they are basically "clear" of the roadworks and so back to normal 80 km/hr speed limit.

Agreed I used take the link from little island west most mornings and I could be very wrong but I believe there is still an 80 sigh at the start of the tunnel heading west (I usually drive with adaptative cruise on and let it pick up the traffic signs for limits) I know I have certainly being going through the tunnel at 80 and being puzzled at the 60 sign after the the tunnel.

Cheers

Toppy

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gooseman12

Is 80 a given for that movement?

I don't know the answer or if this was included in the design.

Looking at similar junctions on the M50, nearly all movements bar the m50 mainline are somewhere between 30 and 60.

My expectations were that all movements at Dunkettle, maybe bar the n25 east west, would be 60 or below.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Here's how to better handle and reduce the queueing on the N40 eastbound in the evenings, or at any time. Also useful at other locations subject to regular queueing. https://mobility.tamu.edu/mip/strategies-pdfs/active-traffic/technical-summary/Variable-Speed-Limit-4-Pg.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

A Variable Speed Limit system was deployed on M50 as part of the gantry upgrades in 2021. I haven't driven on M50 since 2019, so I don't know if it's in active use yet.

The same system was considered for N40, but don't know what became of it. The first element - average traffic speed measurement - is already in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

My understanding was that we were now waiting for legislation to allow for variable speed limits to be rolled out, with the technology in-place on N40 and M50. I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

They are on the M50 at the moment but only "advisory".

Yes they work, but we'd need a network of speed cameras backed up by the penalty points system to automatically fine everyone speeding.

Because we all know how good Irish drivers are at following any kind of dual carriageway speed limit, 60kmh at Dunkettle being a case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Any time I've been on the M50 with the variable speed limits displaying 60/80 km/h, everyone just continues to cruise along at 100. If anything, it feels unsafe to actually follow what they say given how fast everyone else is going.

This is in both cases of leading up to standstill traffic, and where they were deployed due to torrential rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

That's all in place, technologically speaking. The traffic speed measurement system works by ANPR.. it scans the plates of cars passing one gantry and sees how long it takes for those plate numbers to reappear at the next.

Currently, all numbers are erased from the system after a short period of time, but it's not difficult to get the system to flag any plate numbers that show up too soon at the next gantry.

Gardaí already have the ability to be notified if a specific plate number is read by any gantry, so extending that to include speeders is relatively simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

That’s to do with average speed checks though. I thought it was about introducing variable speed limits to reduce jams at pinch points.

Yes, but you need both otherwise people will simply ignore the variable speed limits. This is happening in Dublin and I have no doubt that the same thing would happen at Dunkettle.

So you do need average speed checks also.

Well, and general enforcement to stop people driving terribly in every other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

I think its the law around speed limits that needs to be changed which then has a knock on for enforcement. Speed limits are set well in advance and are well documented. So there must be some wording that needs amending so they can be enforceable when they change as circumstances dictate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The M50 is not a road works situation, if they are using these lower speedlimits when it is possible to cruise at 100 kph then they are not using them appropriately. They should use them then the road is busy and you can only do 100kph briefly (if at all) to the end of the next jam.

That said, this country is plagued by laws being introduced and not the least effort being made to enforce them. When initiatives like this are introduced they should be enforced from day 1 and then most people will respect the limit making it easy to enforce on the small number who do not.

This type of automated enforcement is going to be very difficult to implement.

One for another thread but we currently have a reasonably large push-back on the provision of a garda portal to report illegal driving behaviour. The line you'll hear on "drive time radio" is something to the tune of "we don't want to create a stasi-like environment where everyone is spying on everyone, so we shouldn't allow automated reporting of illegal driving". The various motor lobby groups are really pushing the "surveillance state" angle quite hard at the moment. No idea which way it'll go.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Norteño

People ought to think about getting their own house in order before condemning others. That is why so many people behave the way they do, particularly when it comes to driving.

I honestly have no idea what you mean by this post. If you wouldn't mind humouring me, could you clarify whether you are in favour of the provision of a law to allow the automation of speed limits, or against it? Or neither, perhaps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

This is not what is happening in Dublin. There are no variable limits on the non-tunnel M50, just variable advisory speeds.

Thats really splitting hairs though. You know as well as I do that those variable advisory speeds should be variable limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

WTF, is there any accounting for stupid?

I've just spent a few minutes looking at the feed from the N40 NORTH OF TUNNEL camera and watched quite a few vehicles, including an artic, diving across from the left lane at the last minute and up the M8 exit 😴😲

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

Seeing a few examples of this. Real risk of collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

The signage getting to the M8 and N25 is much clearer now, but still says Cork instead of City Centre

Yeah I've seen it loads on the camera tbh. Luckily haven't encountered it in person.

Is the solid white line and no overtaking in tunnel exasperating this problem.

I doubt it, its very clear on all the gantries and its been in place for some time now. This is just thickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

I know no such thing. An advisory speed has a different meaning and leaves discretion with the motorist. The current usage of advisory speeds, though forced by the lack of legislation for binding variable limits, is also a pilot, and there are many occasions where a lower speed is advised a lot further back than you would need to actually slow down (sight lines are very good on that section of M50). It's a nice advance warning to drivers to be ready to slow down and certainly to leave even more braking distance than usual. As a rule, an advisory speed will be a lot more conservative than a binding limit for the same section of road. They exist for difference purposes.

Once there is a change to variable limits, there will be some rise in the number of cars choosing to abide by them, along with some level of infringement. Only time and enforcement will tell (but I do have a nasty feeling average speed detection will be a part of that).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

Do Not go near the Dunkettle today.

Rain = Mayhem

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

There was a collision after Junction 9 Westbound on the N40, the infamous pinch point which has been mentioned here for a long long time.

The traffic is backed up from that incident all the way back to Dunkettle and beyond

It is only effecting West Bound traffic, East bound is not at all effected anymore thankfully by these incidents.

Ireland is well known as a wet country, how rain has anything to do with anything at Dunkettle is beyond me.

Just further to that, a broken down car added to the issue Westbound at Junction 9, currently in the inner lane immediately before the N28 slip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

The aggressive merging by those coming from the N28 continues to cause these backlogs to the tunnel and beyond, as we knew already.

There should be a single merge lane off the N28 into the N40W instead of 2.

Advertisement