Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Scotland. Saturday 7th October. Stade DeFrance

Comments

Murray is really coming back to something like his best form. He was very important in the closing 20min of the game.

It's a big plus. Especially when on with a relatively inexperienced player like Crowley in the half backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭blackcard

There is a fine balance. An 8 point defeat and we are on the plane home. It is do or die for Scotland so they are going to throw everything at us. If Russell has a good game, any result is possible so I expect we will put out a very strong team. Sheehan and Finlay should start along with Porter but If, by any chance, we have a good lead, Kilcoyne to come on early. Henderson and Beirne to start, Ryan to replace Beirne early if we have a lead.

Other than that, the only change to be Henshaw instead of Ringrose. Maybe Conan on the bench too.

The danger is if we do progress but pick up injuries along the way,the likes of Loughman, O'Toole, Casey, O'Brien will have no recent match practice if required to play. Also, you need to keep the fringe players happy. But, the priority has to be to make sure that we qualify for the quarter final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Scots like a scrappy game, so we must play a structured game. Nullify their out half and they really don't have a Plan B, but never underestimate them and I don't think AF will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

W

Will people stop talking about Russell like he's the messiah! Talented player but so selfish.

Give him the ball as much as possible and close him down. Vdf and o"mahoney.

As for their wings...Great in attacks but...

Exactly, get to him and it makes the whole task easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Isn't it that Scotland will have to score 4 tries and beat us by 8 or more to send us home?

We will go into the match on 14 points, they will come in on 10 assuming they get bonus v Romania which they will for sure.

If it comes down to level on points I presume it goes to points difference, we are +122 they are only on +13 so I can't see them overhauling that to be honest in their last 2 matches.

They will need bonus point win and us not to get a bonus in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

On that list of players that might need game time, the only one that there is really the case for is O'Brien (based on the presumption Earls hasn't past him as the preferred utility back).

For all the others there would need to be two injuries in the direct position they're covering, or an in game implosion, for for them to see any meaningful game time. The non-injured player in front of them will be flogged due to the significant drop off in quality from the #2 to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If we are both on 14 and south Africa on 15 then they'd go through on head to head. If we're all on 15 them it's points difference.

The 2 weeks is of great benefit. The front liners will be fresh again.

Hopefully Scotland will prepare the team for NZ like Tonga did for SA.

I know Scotland are better than Tonga. But if we play at all we'll beat Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Oh ok. Didn't realise there was head to head element. I expect South Africa will reach 15 but I doubt it will come down to it anyway.

• Advertisement

I'd say we can't wait to get our hands on Scotland.

I think we're just coming into our peak. Defence has been excellent, our attack has been good against questionable opposition but we found enough to outscore South Africa despite a lot going wrong. Our mental resilience has been excellent, but our conditioning really showed on Saturday. We were well able for collisions and if anything it seems South Africa were almost a bit taken aback by the physicality of the Irish pack.

It's going to come together against Scotland I feel. I think we'll have the BP by half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Not quite; for a 3-way tie the team with the best points difference tops the group and second place is decided by the head to head result between the other 2 teams.

So a loss 5-1 to Scotland and we all tie on 15 points, and South Africa have the best points difference then we’d be out for losing to Scotland in the head to head result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Just FYI, the information in that first article is wrong about what happens if 3 teams tie on match points, but the second article has it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭blackcard

It depends on what you call 'meaningful'. If either furlong or Bealham are injured, O'Toole would be playing for maybe 25 minutes. Similarly, Casey could be playing for 20 minutes. If Porter was injured, best to book flights home

Yes, AP is just extraordinary. Packed down against 22 stone and more than held his own. Full 80 minutes in him every match.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

We're on different pages here then.

In the knockouts, I don't see them pulling Furlong off for O'Toole until Furlong's tank is completely empty. Can't see that happening until maybe 10 min to go.

I'd go further with Casey and say I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't come on until around 5 min to go, if at all, in a tight match - like the Crowley treatment against SA. Again, with the caveat that unless the starting SH gets injured or is completely gassed or just playing poorly. If we're chasing the game or it looks in hand that could be a different story but in those scenarios I don't think a bit of extra game time now makes a difference in how he'd perform.

Porter is McCaw esque in his durability and the way he's rarely injured.

Referees should also grant AP the leniency they granted McCaw.😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Seadin

If we have any ambitions of getting past a QF. We will have it dispatch Scotland with minimal fuss. Scotland are good but no way are they good enough to beat Ireland. If Ireland click I reckon we could destroy them.

A bit off topic but I wonder what Johnny Sexton will do post retirement. You'd think he'd make a great backs coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

He's already rul3d out coaching. Spent some time working with a business 1 day a week prepping for retirement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

No doubt about Porters ability, but he's played 50, 40 and 74 mins so far in the tournament. His minutes have been managed in the early games.

I know we're pundits and fans, not players and management.

But the draw is done and dusted and futile to give out about it. We just need to focus on the next game. Hopefully there'll be 4!

We can beat any team in the world. We seem to be having luck this tournament. Let's enjoy the ride 😀

If we've as much possession as the Boks v Scotland we'll win by more than 18-3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭dublin49

There is a lot disrespect being shown on here to the mocker Gods,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Luckily they don't actually exist, so we'll be fine.

Crowley was putting out the right message in an article on RTE today.

"We go back in on Wednesday and the preparation begins for Scotland," said the Bandon man.

"I suppose they are going to grow throughout the competition. "We have come up against them in the Six Nations and they have been one the toughest competitors you come up against

And Sheehan.

Asked how much pressure beating the reigning champions takes off the Scotland match, Sheehan replied: "None. The job’s not done.

"We have a bit of luxury now that we have two weeks to lead up into the Scotland game but we can’t afford to take the foot off the gas at all.

"The Scotland game is going to be massive. That’s obviously a massive win for us but nothing’s guaranteed at all so all eyes on Scotland now."

The players know well that they've have a match to win, but lets be honest, it would almost be the shock of the tournament if Scotland win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I heard the Sheehan part of the interview and I liked how quickly he answered the pressure question. Not even a beat missed. Focused on the next task and that's beating Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭joficeduns1

The mentality is incredible from the group. There was so much chat about the intensity of the game and word about the Boks camp was that they were surprised how Ireland matched them. Tadhg Beirne said post-game that he's probably played at similar intensity in test matches before (heard on The Left Wing podcast). Mental stuff, he's a machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Suppose we have to talk it up and pretend we are worried about the Scotland game but honestly if we can't beat Scotland quite comfortably we have zero chance further on in this tournament. Of course it ain't won yet and being professional, avoiding cards and executing still has to be the order of the day but barring something utterly bizarre happening I just can't see anyway Scotland can win. They are inferior pretty much everywhere and while a decent team we are on a different level at the moment.

Personally looking forward to an evening of entertainment and not worried in the slightest. Hopefully injury free.

• Advertisement

Should be a great game now. Much people from here going over to it. Be my first time to a world cup game after years of attending six nations urcs and Heineken cup games so looking forward to seeing a world cup game in the flesh. Hopefully plenty of green In the stands again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement