Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon Race Series 2023

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The weather was perfect for it although I forgot to wear sun block so a little sun burnt now. Route was nice but very narrow at points which was a little frustrating. That hill at about 16k in was an absolute bàstard though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Switch to Sunday 9am

Use some of marathon route and conyngham road like IR 10 miler

Course was a joke yesterday

• Running on the paths is a joke. Needs a scrapping from the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

OPW got what they want anyway. The woke will try to ruin everything that is good in the name of saving us from ourselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The what now? 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

As a first timer, bring directed onto the paths was a bit of a shock. I feel a bit short-changed tbh, having done shorter events in the Park that used less of the Park but were all on roads. Perfect weather though.

The car free environmentalists who don't want any cars in the park. The have already taken out the North Rd, if they had their way there wouldn't be any events in the park at all. It's the reason people were balled onto 1m wide footpaths for a 6000 person race at the weekend.

The same crowd who insist on DCM putting a no parking disclaimer on their event notices despite their being no enforcement of such.

From the looks of what was happening on Saturday morning, it was the opposite - the motor route from the main Parkgate St entrance to the zoo and visitor centre had to be kept open, so no running on the road. And the amount of cars parked on the grass near the Ashtown gate? Seemed to be the opposite of car-free to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I really enjoyed it, weather was perfect.

The paths were tight alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

That makes no sense to be honest. If the "woke" <insert exaggerated eyeroll here> actually succeeded in making the park car free, it would free up more space for running events like this.

• Advertisement

• All cars should be banned from the park. Zero need for them. Motorbikes and bicycles are allowed. I'd ban them all from town too. Dublin city centre wasn't made for this amount of cars. Public transport only. Basically we should be Holland

The race series route often ran the length of the main avenue with cards parked both sides of the road. Didn't hinder the planning then did it?

In that scenario how do you put 6000 runners in the middle of the park for 8:30 on a Saturday morning with inadequate parking and public transport timetables? Let people fill up housing estates near the park?

They used to use Castleknock college 15-20 years ago and abandoned that.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I didn't actually say cars hindered planning. Have a lovely Monday...

You said if it was car free there would be more space for events. There were multiples of cars going back 10 years and the race organizers had the run of the park to plan a route.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

That makes no sense. Where on the half marathon route was there a 1m wide path? And what's any of that to do with being anti-racism or anti other forms of social injustice?

Plenty of stretches on the route on Saturday with narrow paths. Be pedantic so and argue for 1.5m. Should people be running shoulder to shoulder 3-4 people wide on a path when you could have the event on a closed road? Should a road race be using paths for 4-5miles of a half marathon distance?

Wokeism is hand in hand with environmentalism, depends on what side of the argument you are on whether you see it that way I suppose.

You're contradicting yourself. How exactly does leaving the road open to cars and having people run on a path demonstrate environmentalism?

• If you can't get to the park at that time then I dunno. Plenty of options for public transport or a cycle, Dublin bike etc. I'd limit the race to people living in Dublin too. 6000 is too much.

DCM were told to state that there was no parking in the Phoenix Park to get their permit(which was incorrect). They were also told they had to plan a large section of the course with limitations on the roads they could use, hence the paths(decided by OPW policy changes in 2020). OPW long term plan is a car free park, if they were that serious why not make the park car free on weekends? We all know why.

2019 route for same race:

• Advertisement

OPW long term plan is a car free park, if they were that serious why not make the park car free on weekends? We all know why.

Why?

How do people access the Zoo, Aras, Tourist spots like Papal Cross and Visitor Center, Farmleigh? The surrounding residential areas would be in uproar and we don't have infrastructure or planning to either facilitate large scale parking nearby or even re-route traffic around park or to parking areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dissq1

Lovely day on Saturday but I really really dislike the new course. That point through the 40 acre where you have three different timed runners lapping each other is horrific. Running at one stage with people on my left miles ahead and on the right side miles behind was just not a nice way to run, I found it pretty demotivating. Like a conveyor belt just to get around.

That path through the football pitches is just a complete joke. Guy behind me was running so close to me that he was clipping the underside of my feet as I lifted them. Its a miracle there aren't more pile ups! Don't think I'll run this again, there are much nicer half's available.

The old route that used to go around the zoo and then out whites gate and back in down in the furry glen at least had a bit of variation. This one is not a route you'd want to run year after year.

I have never given out about a race before, usually you get more or less what you expect but this route is just not workable for that many people!

I'm lucky I guess that I dont have to worry about parking, I live within 3k of the park so can just there and back but if I had to worry about parking as well it would really send me over the edge!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Conjack76

What made this run was the beautiful morning and atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

The route is a fair/honest route if doing Dublin marathon. The paths are a pain in the backside and no matter what pace you’re doing. I did it last year and coming up the pitches on the second time people coming off the pitches be crossing the middle line but perfectly normal for them but wrong time and easily have someone run into each other. Do the marathon team ask to improve the route or just accept. I remember running along Cunningham road and in the chapelizord game from park gate street doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Switch to Sunday at 9am. Start at Green circle and finish at Red circle. Only need the bit up by ashtown gate for half an hour at a time when the park is fairly empty anyway. Likewise castleknock to knock maroon stretch.

Conyngham Road is usually fairly empty that early on a Sunday too.

Rock and Roll got roads on Sunday outside park in this route, so do Irish Runner 10 mile series.

By time you get into the footpath at the roundabout near Wellington your 16k in, field well spread at that stage.

So your argument is that the OPW are sneaky car-haters who'd get rid of all the cars but they can't - because of all the cars - so they're putting their car-hating energy into encouraging people to use public transport and active travel to get to an athletic event by lying about no parking? Those monsters.

And then they don't even follow through on that car-hating, because hundreds of cars are parked in the Park anyway? Probably a misdirection to throw us off the scent. Lucky we have you to point out that the fact that roads are open to cars and the runners are confined to the paths is because of [checks notes] the car hating.

Sorry, 'woke' car hating. Gotcha.

The OPW and Phoenix Park management committee have a paper out since 2020 on their aims, it's not some conspiracy theory.

The point is that they push organisers to follow their instructions but neither party will benefit from it in the long term. RCOs are now only for events over 1000, limited to 30 per year, it will eventually discourage the larger events from hosting there. Soon it will just be a temporary pass through such as Triathlon or Marathon day. You think Jim Aughney and his team would have chosen the routes they have for the last couple of years without a change in policy?

North Road was entirely open to parking on Saturday as it is for every other event but DCM weren't in a position to advise that, they need to keep things in check for their permits to get granted for 2024.

• Advertisement

And what has that got to do with people running on footpaths?

Advertisement