Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Agnes Wed 27 Sept 2023.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Storm\Hurricane Debbie hit Ireland on 16 September 1961 and killed 18 people – 12 in the Republic of Ireland and 6 in Northern Ireland. It caused £70–80 million in damage in the Republic and at least £10.5 million in Northern Ireland. The storm winds in excess of 120 mph (200 km/h).

Wikipedia

The worst thing about that is he said his friend was in florida at the time and a hurricane was gonna hit there but he thought it would he funny to say what he said ,obviously models weren't as good as now but even with Agnes there's still alot of uncertainty about the exact track

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I think -

• Cork, Kerry, Waterford, maybe Wexford Orange
    • Red sea warning

I don't think the maximums warrent red anywhere.

Remember, according to Met Eireann

Orange = Widespread mean speeds between 65 and 80km/h, Widespread gusts between 110 and 130km/h

Red = Widespread mean speeds in excess of 80km/h, Widespread gusts in excess of 130km/h

Apart from the hoolys of runs from ICON, nothing to me suggests red will happen. Sea warnings are different, I don't really look at those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Your right, but remember Cork and Waterford are right on the coast so a red marine warning is more or less saying both cities will get hit. I do agree a high level orange is best guide for now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Anyone else thing the rainfall totals are in orange/Red territory for cork??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Orange I'd say.

Here is the wind speeds and rainfall that meets the warnings down below, thought this would help

So the Icon 18z is just out.

It's deeper, further North & less of a rounded centre. An upgrade without doubt. If these little upgrades continue in the morning it's going to be quite a storm!! The beeb Met guys must have being expecting this to say they were out the traps early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Some strong gusts for the east coast in some of those forecasts. There are no official weather stations between Dublin and Johnstown Castle so I can only go by those numbers but since I moved here in 2018 the strongest gusts I experienced were during Storm Barra in December 2021 and they came in around 55kts in both locations. We lost power for 5 days and I spent quite a few weekends afterwards cutting up the fallen trees in the forest garden I have. If some of the forecast winds hit here (UKMO has 125km/h gusts for this location) I am expecting some significant damage to deal with on Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Latest ICON which is quite good at rainfall predictions showing possibly getting 40 mm in less than 6 hrs I reckon which would take into Orange Warning level along some Southern counties.

18Z a bit stronger inland, Clare and N Kerry looking stronger later in the day in latest runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Robwindstorm

It will be interesting to see will the center elongate or twin after rapidly deepening which could see the Eastern side of it provide very strong winds

The gfs run is exploding at 30hrs, much deeper than previous run. What it means next few frames not sure!!

And at 48hrs it's basically hurricane force winds into the Southwest!! A major upgrade here with a much larger windfield aswell. If this is showing in the morning a red is likely across the South

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

UKMO HD 18Z just runs to 19.00. Must say in times past UKMO would normally be maybe 5 or 10km/h over the actually gust speeds this far out, maybe more accurate on later runs tomorrow but nevertheless not to be discounted as looking very strong especially with the ECM following its well established track of a few days now.

Very heavy rain being pushed ahead of the wind.

UKMO still out in front, far windier than ECM , not even ICON is near it ! Will see, would think it will come down a bit tomorrow. Or will it 😀 ???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well we have a laid back song to play at the height of the storm; Angie Baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

I propose a motion to ban all Mrs.Brown memes!

All in favour?

Also if any mod would set up a technical thread for this?? If it goes off here we might not see the main contributors posts, ie meteorite and co…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Irish sea crossings will be bumpy Wednesday. Orange Marine warning just out

Status Orange - Storm warning from Belfast Lough to Carnsore Point to Valentia and on the Irish Sea

On Wednesday, Southeast winds, veering westerly will reach Storm Force 10 at times on Irish coastal waters from Belfast Lough to Carnsore Point to Valentia and on the Irish Sea.

Valid: 09:00 Wednesday 27/09/2023 to 19:00 Wednesday 27/09/2023

Issued: 23:01 Monday 25/09/2023

• Advertisement

Orange marine warnings issued for the east southeast and northeast, this to me gives me idea of the east in orange, parts of south, and I still stand by kerry ,Cork ,Waterford and even wexford possibly in red warnings going by current tracks ,infact I wouldn't be surprised to see 6 counties in a red but Agnes hasn't long formed and a weather bomb is on the way infact even a mega bomb that's I think deepens 36mb in 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Much deeper on this run getting down as low as 969hPa ( was 977 on the last run ) just off the coast .Less strong than the UKMO but still showing widespread gusting 90 km/h with swathes of gusts into 100/km/h. One thing about the GFS is that it never overdoes the wind readings. A very strong wind day by the looks of it taking in more of the country too, every where yellow at least.

Very windy in the SW in the morning/ early afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Sorry. Not trying to be Pedantic Pat here, but that song is about Angie. This coming storm is Agnes. That doesn’t detract from the powerfullness of Helen Reddy’s Angie Baby.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

I posted another Angie. I suppose your right Angie would be closer to Angela. I see there are a few Agnes songs on youtube!

Agnes does a lovely cover of 'It Must Have Been Love' with Per Gessle of Roxette. It won't allow playback here but you can check it out on youtube.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

'Living next door to Agnes...Agnes who the..' ok maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭adocholiday

One thing about the GFS run is the duration of it. Looking at 70-80km/h gusts from 10am to 10pm in Wicklow on the last run

Advertisement