Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Depends on your connection @DrPhilG

Some houses are worse, some houses are better and I am envious of the houses with 3ph connections. But it's probably safe to say that the majority of homes of people reading this thread are 12kVA. Like mine, a cheap 3-bed semi built in 1999-2000

This means the ESB box likely has an 80A fuse. And your consumer unit a 63A fuse, so the max load you can have is a bit under 15kW

You and I are lucky that we have the myenergi system in. Tell it your home is limited to 63A and it does all the work. So you set your inverter / BMS to take 4.6kW. Then your zappi takes 7.2kw (presuming you have it higher priority than eddi) and your eddi takes 2.9kW. That's in total already too much because you already have your base load and someone in the house might put on the kettle.

No need to worry, the system does as designed and lowers the draw from eddi / zappi

I have been maxing out the draw from the grid for many parts of many winter nights for many years now. From the start of my Pinergy contract, I max it out every single night. Buy at 5c, charge everything up, sell at 25c

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

12-14 kw

But it's easier to talk in amps, 63 if you set a supply limit of 60 on your zappi/myenergi it will load balance

Will heat water and charge car at full rate, then if any other loads come on they will throttle back as needed

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Depends on your Maximum Import Capacity (MIC). It will be listed on letters which you periodically receive from ESBN (on change of supplier?). Unless you have specifically requested a higher MIC, you'll likely have a 12kVA supply with a 60A or 80A fuse in the service cutout and 63A fuse/main switch in your consumer unit.

It's a matter of personal choice how close you want to fly to that limit. Some here advocate "15kW o'clock", but ESBN state that a 12kVA supply is only rated for 52A continuous load.

If using MyEnergi devices during the high load window, you can set a grid limit and they will dial themselves back to stay below the limit while the dishwasher element is heating etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

So here's my view:

The dishwasher and washing machine don't use a whole lot of electricity, so just run them off what you have stored in batteries in the morning

The Eddi probably won't be running at night anyway

The house battery is probably the most important, since that avoids the expensive day rate

The Zappi will throttle to the grid limit anyway, so the big question is will you get enough range to meet your needs

Could you run the heater on a lower setting to ensure there's grid power available for everything else?

If all else fails, there's always the option of upgrading to 16kVA

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I take it a 16kVa upgrade would be very expensive?

I would run the Eddi overnight for about an hour as it would be my only method of heating the water.

Car won't actually need to be charged every night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,394 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The 4 hr EV window with Energia might be another option?

These short windows are annoying. Why not 6 or 8? I'd have no problem paying a bit extra if the windows were widened

about 2k + whatever house upgrades is needed, eg new consumer unit, new cables from meter to consumer unit (25mm2)..

But with the myenergi you can load balance automatically (suppose theres a use for the eddi after all then!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It ain't cheap, just under €2k including VAT

The trick might be to charge the car for 1-2 hours every night instead of giving it a big charge every 2-3 nights

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Scoopsire

So my 8kVA MIC would be approx 30 amps at that rate, pretty rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

12 to 16kva upgrade is 900 quid plus VAT. I had networks out to quote and they advised it's just a change of fuse. The additional costs are only if you need new tails etc.

Your fusebox has a 63A fuse, and the incoming supply likely has an 80A fuse. There is no issue with 15kW o clock. 15kW is 62A at 240V and I often see higher voltages than that. It's better and more precise to talk about amperage limits when dealing with supply as you can have varying voltages and this may increase or decrease the kW. 12kW at 208V is taking a lot more amps than 12kW at 259V.

• Advertisement

It's gone up since you got the quote! Latest one is 1900ish Inc vat(pulled directly from the price list above)

I got mine changed at 900+vat a few years ago now.

Yeah it's just a change of fuse on the esbn end, but no Electrician will change the house fuse/mcb to 80 amps until the main cables from the meter are 25mm2.

Because of change of voltage, its better to talk amps, 32 for the car, say 20 to the batteries and then 12 to the eddi.. 64 amps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Can that EV Window only be used by EVs, or can you just do anything during those 4 hours? Can you charge your regular batteries, or does the Smart Meter know you aren't charging an EV?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭championc

It "the grid not smart meter" has no idea (nor cares) as to what you are using the power for.

You can do what you like, nobody knows. I max out the 14+kW for the full 3 hours I have every day. EV, battery charging, hot water, mining rigs, the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thats what I thought. But I don't have an EV or an EV charger yet so wasn't sure if that plugs into a different part of the smart meter somehow and it would "know". Brilliant, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

ive 20 panels & 10kwh battery going in next month. On the flogas day night plan at the moment.

In summer house consumes circa 20kw per day (Busy house, family home all day) during winter thats closer to 30kw with the heat pump going. I do run the heat pump overnight and it works quiet well for me.

Heat pumps runs the hot water, usually less than 2kw per day so thats fine I think. But I need to get that timed.

Only other consideration is an EV (60kwh) but 70% of my charging is free at work. Perhaps 25-30kwh charge per week at home

Would you say at 10kwh battery you would stick on the flogas or consider pinergy smart? Also if I was to run heat pump, charge EV and charge battery in the same 3 hour slot is that feasible?

Hard to say, but your heatpump needs to run most of the time, you can't just run it in the 3 hour night slot. Also if you have free work charging, there is no benefit charging it at home, no matter how cheaply. And you use 30kWh per day in wnter for the house alone, 10kWh from the battery would help, but you would end up buying the majority of your electricity directly from the grid at peak rates

So my gut feeling is, it wouldn't be best for you, but try do the sums for yourself.

Cheers,

Due to the fact we're in office 3 days a week. it just means Thursday Charge won't get me around till following Tue. And driving 15 mins for a piece of a charge there doesn't make a pile of sense. So I will always have a certain amount at home, Works out at Eur 4-5 per week so again not a deal breaker.

Regards HP, ive been running it by night for last 5 years. releasing heat during the day. Working for my house really well. I know everyone is different and installers will see leave it alone. 3hr window is a bit tight compared to what ive been doing. Must look at the stats from past years. Night rate would give a bigger comfort zone than 3.

I'll see how system works out this winter on D/N and that should give me that data I need for next year. Could bump battery size if it required.

For it to work now id have to at least be getting 15 out of my 30kwh usage in that 3 hour window at cheap cheap rate (and charge battery), 10kwh from battery during the day and the remaining 3-5kwh peak but perhaps bigger battery eventually to cover that.

Any comments on growatt AXE batteries , easy to add to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭DC999

I reckon the cheap smart rate is your friend as you can move a huge amount to the cheap rate. Comes down to the % you can shift to night rate. Looks like you're closer to ~20kWh a night on the cheap rate – numbers are below based on what you suggested (ignoring the heat pump generating heat). You can do the maths on the different rates with that % being on the cheap rate and the rest on the night rate. And include the 100% of your PV getting the FIT (as a credit). 

Back of envelope maths:

So 4kWh per day for the car (excluding your free charges in work).

Hot water – 2kWh you said

Plus dishwasher - assume uses 1.5kWh per cycle (more if you use hotter temps).

Assume under 2kWh a day between washing machine and tumble dryer.

Fill battery and run it empty each day (plus 20% losses) = 12kWh

Washing machine running 4 times a week, assume uses 1.5kWh per cycle (more if you use hotter temps) = 6kWh a week.

Tumble dryer eats juice, it 3kW+ per hour when drying (drops way down when removing creases). Assume it runs 2 times a week on average (would be more in winter, less in summer. We personally use it rarely / as little as we can) = 6kWh a week

Setting up timers: Disable car charging during the day. Don’t let the battery drain until the cheap rate ends. Get a smart plug to turn devices without timers into smart devices. Works on many devices I have, but not on tumble dryer. 

I think you're right and thanks for that, roughly how much battery can you fill in 3 hours 10/15/20 kw? (New house so wiring all good)

Also will powering all of those during the 3 hours have an impact on pull rate for the grid then in fact limiting power going to EV or to battery etc.

• Advertisement

Depends on your connection and on your inverter, most hybrid inverters can charge your battery at up to 6kW, so 18kWh in 3 hours. Most houses in Ireland seem to have a 12kVA grid connection, this means in practice you can draw a bit over 14kW. This is my usage graph pretty much every single day since I got my smart meter in. I get 100% of my electricity from the 3 hour slot, even more than I need for my own use, I then export all solar PV to the grid and I dump from my battery what I don't need, before charging up again at 2AM. My electricity bill for the coming 2 years will be negative and that includes 2 EVs, heating all my water and running crypto mining rigs in the night slot too (profitable at this rate and also providing free heat to the house)

Great, that gives me a bit of context, it's a Solis hybrid inverter going in. As you said they are limited to 6kw. Would love to get to a neutral bill.

Also makes my thinking of changing the current car charger to a Zappi redundant if priority is to export and charge on EV rate. Saves me over 1k.

im paying E2200 per 5kwh battery from the installer, might be overpaying but don't think id go down the DIY route. Love all this stuff but not to that level!

No point changing your current charge point for a zappi, would be a waste of your money. Just keep using the old one and use a timer (in the car) to charge in the night hours

Also €2200 is insane for a 5kWh pack, that won't have paid for itself by the time it reaches end of life. Unless the delta between night rate and feed in tariff gets substantially bigger (can't see that happen)

As for the Solis, that would be about the only hybrid inverter I wouldn't recommend. The 6kW version says it will do 100A charging (5kW) continuous, but in practice it only does that for a short period, then throttles to 60A

Actually looking back on my quote its states : ' Growatt / Solis Hybrid Inverter'

If you were in my shoes would you push for a Growatt hybrid inverter. I hear Solis being mentioned all the time so it appears to be popular brand used by installers?

As for the 2200 being insane, look I think it's the going price for a solar installer battery or maybe even lower than many of the quotes people throw up on FB/Boards. Obviously way more pricey than DIY.

Is there much to connecting that up and having it work on inverter app etc. Im guessing I rock up with my own battery the solar installer won't touch it...

The bill arrived just now.... Should have been £385. Still too high for summer

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

They seem to be really pushing this smart meter install program - I must have received 3 or 4 letters from ESBN (& MDE) in the last fortnight advising that “over the coming weeks we’ll be replacing your electricity meter.” So much for all the talk that this could take years! I wonder how easy it is to push an install back? Deemed export really suits us at the moment, as does the fact that our current meter runs 2hrs slow, therefore night rate currently running till 10am.

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Getting into the routine...

Going to have to call Pinergy again tomorrow. 10 days since sign up and still they haven't contacted Energia to switch me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭con747

With MDE I have postponed it 3 times for 6 months each time and they had no issues doing it without me refusing a smart meter. I dealt with a couple of people there but only wrote down the last contact who was Hillary. Just be certain they know you are not refusing it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement