Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of "Zombie" by The Cranberries as an Irish sporting anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

innocent citizens may well have been caught up in anti-terrorist operations. if the terrorists did not exist, then such operations would not have been necessary. in the vast majority of cases due to the professionalism of the security forces very few innocent people were caught up. Loughgall is just 1 example of such a professionally executed operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Zombie never did anything for me. Like a few Cranberries songs like Dreams. I remember reading reviews of either their 2nd or 3rd album way back and they were slated as a band then. Funny how a death can elevate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Do we know they are the same people?

Why does anyone really care?

I ain't a fan of SF but I can see the reality that the other parties have done feck all to improve health or accomodation and that younger voters have no choice but to vote for them. And could many really blame them?

If you want to attack SF you need to step away from this type of thing - it's pointless - a lot of younger voters don't care. Attack them on their political record in the North - there's plenty fodder there to hit them with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Of course young people have a choice not to vote for SF.

Voting for someone just because they are not the current govt is not a good strategy at all.

There were almost 30k homes built last year by the way. How many do you think SF will build if they get into power?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there was no truth to that comment at all.

the reality is that sunningdale was capitulation to beligerent unionism at the expense of the majority, whereas the GFA was a deal based on reality.

the only reason the GFA is referred to as sunningdale for slow learners is that those in support of the sunningdale unionist capitulation agreement were bitter that an agreement was reached that suited the majority at the expense of the minority, that minority being beligerent unionism which was finally sidelined.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

The retrospective justification of a 27 year campaign of terrorist murder should be a disqualifying offence for government in this state.

If a party retrospectively justified the murder of James Bulger, would it be a disqualifying offence for government?

What was the difference between the murder of James Bulger and the murders of Jonathan Ball and Tim Parry?

The difference is the murderers of James Bulger were 10 years old. The murderers of Jonathan Ball and Tim Parry were adults.

Shinners started this whole debate by gormlessly attacking the 30k people singing Zombie on Saturday night.

And yes, most of them are the same people.

If the Provos hadn't bombed Maurice Gibson and his wife to death (likely with Garda help), Nigel Carr would have played for Ireland at 1987 Rugby World Cup. Instead his career was ended after he was caught up by chance in that bombing and badly injured as he travelled south to Dublin for training with two of his team mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Alexander Shulgin

Dare I say , a lucky win ! Bok's missed easy penalties, Irish line out was frightening, anyway , if anthems & flags are going to divide us then let's just do away with them , instead of an anthem a minute to reflect on those who gave their lives for what they believed in & for those dark days never to return !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

lol they are still terrified about who's name is going to come up as a tout as so many were at it, multiple touts in the same unit at some stages all ratting on each other .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

as per usual from this "account " this is dangerously delusional shitposting

some one in the provo press office needs to get control of the bots

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

That was Eamonn Dunphy’s role at the time. He wrote some nasty stuff about John Hume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

That sing has been banned now I believe. No longer sung in Cardiff at rugby games. Was at an Ire v Wal 6N game there in 2017 and it was belted out before the game. Made for an unbelievable atmosphere. But again, the PC brigade and the eternally offended ruined the fun. As if singing that song meant that 80k+ fans condoned domestic violence. Same stupid carry on as the recent furore about Zombie and Celtic Symphony. They're just catchy songs. People sing them for fun.

Post edited by almostover on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

If we apply logic to songs belted out by sporting crowds ,we will more often than not end up scratching our heads. It's all about emotion . If the D.J. plays something anthemic that the crowd sing along to, it stays on the playlist. It only has to be catchy and that most/all know the chorus .

Wales sing "DELILAH" - Logically ,one could say it's tone deaf to domestic violence. Emotionally ,Welsh fans love singing it -Tom Jones is one of their own- and no one thinks they are supporting domestic violence. It just gets the crowd/atmosphere going.

England fans sing "Swing Low" -Logically it could be seen as cultural appropriation - Emotionally ,it gets their crowd/atmosphere going. Nobody thinks they are trying to insult victims of slavery in the U.S.

A lot of sporting anthems that crowds sing seem to have no connection to logic or the sport. Sport is theatre , a roller coaster of emotions and whatever gets a crowd singing with emotion, in unison, to give their side a lift, is about the only logic one can apply as to why " this song" or "that song".

It's all a bit of a storm in a teacup i.mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,099 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Zombie has been a song associated with Munster Rugby for a few years now, nobody quite knows when it started mind, and we are of course happy to share it with the other 3 provinces in the context of Irish rugby... Just like dreams has been associated with Limerick, nobody is quite sure when it started

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

They were. It’s estimated that about half of senior IRA figures were working for the Brits during the Troubles.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Iguarantee

It’s a shite song, like everything the Cranberries produced.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is where I think rugby suffers a massive disconnect issue in Ireland.

There is a large section of the Irish population who simply will not be celebrating if Ireland were to win the world cup and that's sad.

We have had a narrative mostly pushed by the Irish Times and Irish Independent for over 40 years that has been anti-Irish, pro-British - putting D4 type morals on a situation those same people could not possibly understand in what is a partitioned part of this island. A lot of nasty, horrific stuff happened from all directions up there and it pollutes everything.

Look at the arguments here and see how poisonous it is.

Up the Ra is not sung by fans at ROI football matches. I would contend it's better for rugby if it has any hope to grow in this country to avoid all this.

You defend the song as a reminder of what the IRA did. Fine. Where is the reminder of what Loyalist terror gangs did? Or is all one way traffic?

Whilst sucker is given to Unionist/Orange/Loyalist supremacy which, believe me, exists to this day many rugby supporters will then go on to compound this by explaining why our own national anthem can't be played at the world cup in further deference to those same people, for example.

The way this thread is - it shows no other way but that rugby will always be the afterthought it is for most and that's sad because I love the game.

The reality is most won't care if Ireland win the world cup.

And it's not just the undertone of aloofness, sort of soft pro-Britishness - it's other issue but it all feeds in to why rugby stuggles to get the traction it could in this country.

Anyway keep the politics going.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The reality is most won't care if Ireland win the world cup.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby-world-cup/2023/0925/1407206-irelands-win-over-south-africa-draws-1-2m-viewers/#:~:text=Ireland's%20thrilling%20win%20over%20South%20Africa%20draws%201.2m%20viewers&text=A%20total%20of%2073%25%20of,of%20those%20being%20live%20streams.

Ireland's Rugby World Cup Pool B win over reigning champions South Africa in the Stade de France on Saturday night saw an average audience of 1.2 million watching on RTÉ2.

A total of 73% of those watching TV at the time were tuned in to RTÉ2's live coverage which peaked at 1.4 million at 9.47pm.

Meanwhile, there were 267,000 streams on RTÉ Player with 243,000 of those being live streams.

I see your spectacular track record of terrible predictions continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

They should do the Icelandic chant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They have at times. It's a bit crap.

Ultimately it's completely impossible to "force" or select anything to penetrate the zeitgeist. These things happen naturally or not at all. The idea that the song was chosen for some political reason is both historically illiterate (As we know the origins of its use) and just generally idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

It is a terrible, irritating song. Grates on the nerves worse than Wonderwall. No accounting for taste however.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,769 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Why do the Irish need a reminder of what British loyalists did?

We do need to be reminded often and clearly about the horror and terror that the criminal thugs of the PIRA claimed to do in our name. Forever ashamed.

Why the hate for a world class 32 county Irish sports team? Plain old Irish begrudgery, pure and simple.

I'm primarily a GAA and soccer follower (and I love snooker obviously) but I'm open to pretty much all sports and if Ireland were to somehow win this Rugby World Cup it would comfortably top anything our soccer team have done.

The childish anti-rugby mentality among a minority in this country is summed up by that ghoul Ewan MacKenna - a terminally miserable crank who hates everything. It's the sporting wing of the anti-vaccine, anti-immigrant loons.

Bono wrote Sunday Bloody Sunday.

He's still absolutely hated by the Provo loving brigade because he correctly called out the Provos for what they were.

Now let me tell you something, I've had enough of Irish Americans who haven't been back to their country, in 20 or 30 years, come up to me and talk about the Resistance, the Revolution back home, and the glory of the Revolution, and the glory of dying for the Revolution. Fcuk the Revolution! They don't talk about the glory of killing for the Revolution. What's the glory, in taking a man from his bed and gunning him down in front of his wife and his children? Where's the glory in that? Where's the glory, in bombing a Remembrance Day parade of old age pensioners, the medals taken out and polished up for the day, where's the glory in that? To leave them dying, or crippled for life, or dead, under the rubble of the Revolution — that the majority of the people in my country, don't want! Say "no more!" No more! No more! 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

It's been an anthem at Irish MMA event's for years now. Personally I think 80% of this country don't give a **** about it being played likewise rebel songs. The moaners need to give over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I get where you're coming from but I don't think the argument that 'that's how it always was' holds up.

And from the comments here it seems Wales fans no longer sing Delilah.

On top of that both songs reference older historical events, whereas there are rugby fans or potential fans who may have been directly affected by the troubles.

And if that wasn't enough, I don't think anyone is singing Delilah or Swing Low to deliberately offend anybody. It seems that some at least are with 'Zombie'.

The IRFU should just put 'Dreams' out on the Tannoys instead, aside from the politicization, it gets away from the other crass, tasteless idea some 'fans' have that they're singing this song about murdered kids to goad opposition coaches.

These things are not the same.

It is correct to object to people chanting Up The Ra, because Up The Ra is the equivalent of singing Up The UVF. It's a far right ethnonationalist sentiment which mocks the likes of Jonathan Ball, Tim Parry, Marie Wilson and Bernard Teggart.

There is no reason to object to Zombie other than that one supported the blowing to death of Jonathan Ball and Tim Parry. When that grifter Tadhg Hickey who comes from Cork feigns offence on behalf northern Catholics, what he's actually trying to do is bestow retrospective justification on the murders of Jonathan Ball and Tim Parry and many other grotesque Provo crimes like it.

He'll claim otherwise of course, but then lying about your true aims is a hallmark of grifters.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,209 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Tell me, in 1916, did they throw bombs into packed resteraunts? Did they place car bombs in packed areas?

I do actually think the leaders like Pearse were bastards. They knew they had no chance of success but went ahead with it anyway because they believed blood needed to be spilled. But to their credit, they didn't explode massive bombs in shopping areas. They didn't throw or place bombs into packed pubs.

And yet again, you've got nothing but whatabouttery. You will never address the atrocities that the IRA committed and I think it's because you know they're wrong. You know some of their actions are indefensible. SO you don't defend them, you just use whatabouttery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

No evidence Irish rugby fans are singing Zombie to offend anyone at all. It was voted Ireland's best song in a big poll that went on for weeks on RTE 2FM last year (beating Fairytale of New York and The Boys Are Back In Town).

Advertisement