Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,793 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Aldi Stackers was 99c in 2020, €1.69.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭gipi

Same price for the Lidl variety, and I'd swear that there's some shrinkflation going on too - the last tube I bought seemed to "rattle" a lot, as if the crisps had gotten smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That’s exactly the kind of mad increases I’m talking about- Aldi Lidl own brand stuff is now almost or the same prices as the branded equivalents if you’re smart and shop the offers- I rarely buy Pringles but they’re always on offer and taste way better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,663 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Very easy for them to indulge in transfer pricing to suppress apparent profits here, e.g. how much is the UK HQ charging for use of its brand, marketing materials, Clubcard? How much does Irish Tesco pay for own-brand products sourced via Tesco UK?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭EarWig

They don't want the excessive profits they make here to be apparent because of the backlash. "Treasure Island" they described us as... the reported profit of 120M is low and I don't believe it for a moment.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭con747

They act, unlike the sheep here. Their finance Minister is backing the move as well. What's our shower doing....

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭crayon80

Tesco rich tea up to 69c

They used to be 28c so more than doubled in price.

Dunnes and Lidl are still 54c.

• Advertisement

Lidl chocolate 200g was 99c in July 2022, now 1.69 70% increase, and pro-rata across the chocolate range

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

When are the supermarkets going to adopt the standard Irish pricing technique though where the price remains a total mystery until you queue at the sales point or phone in?

There is little I miss about the UK, but knowing the prices of what is in stock is a major asset to customers. One up to Screwfix although I hate using them.

How nice it would be to see the punter in front of you at Lidl .ie or Aldi pay twice what you do because you can mention that you know "Fred" down the street :-)

Dunnes stores with a voucher I think is working best for me. They’re reasonably generous - €10 off €40 is good. Their food offering is excellent and have good offers on too on branded stuff it’s easily competitive with Lidl aldi for nicer items

Did some shopping in Newry today, here are a few random comparisons

Tesco

Whiskas 40 pack pouches £13.75 there, €19.99 here

Proper flavoured popcorn 6 pack. £1.50 there (clubcard price - full price was less than £2 I think), €3.59 here (!)

Cheapest soya 1 litre (generic brand) 50p there, 85c or 90c here

Lidl

Lidl's version of dreamies cat treats pouch 69p there, €1.19 here (recently reduced from 1.29....i remember them at 89c)

I had a medical appointment in Newry so was up there for more than shopping, so am not counting the cost of travel (45 mins or so for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jaysis, stay away from those Dreamies for cats. Gives them the absolute shíts and they get addicted to them. It's like giving a baby/toddler a can of Red Bull, honestly.

Thanks @callaway92 , there'd be ructions in the house if I didn't have dreamies 😄

Thankfully, I've never seen any adverse effects, other than "addiction", lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

A few weeks ago you could buy 183 pods for €30 on a flash deal. This week you can only buy 116 pods for the same money 🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Fresh mozzarella balls have hit 74c..used to be 55-59-65-74 !!

Dunnes, Aldi, Lidl choc digestives 300g was 45c 49c 55c 59c 67c 74c

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭EarWig

Depressing.

Dunnes were quite good at keeping the prices down on a few items like this one. I'm now anxious about the Custard Creams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I hear you.

Dunnes haven't had their own Bourbon Creams in months. Or the nice round Shorties in the green pack.

Caller, next time you are using the oven, throw this in as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I've started making a lot of things from scratch lately including bolognese sauce. Can't justify paying the money for it anymore when its so easy and cheap to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Monster Energy all cans €1.90 in dunnes I usually buy the sugar free ones which should be a few cents lower a few months ago it was €1.60 for the sugar free and €1.75 for the sugar cans.

4 pack are 2 for €9.50 that's gone up by 50c again all version are the same discount price which again the whole sugar tax thing has me confused as to why sugar free are not cheaper.

This is the ripoff page so no need for oooohhhhhh those things aren't healthy type posts. 🧐🧐

No own brand frozen sprouts for weeks on end, then they came back and it was peas, then they came back and now it's sweetcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭horse7

1€ increase in Aldi for 7.5kg potatoes, now 7.50€

Needless to say, each 'disappeared' thing had a 40-50% markup when it reappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Same with all supermarkets, it's crazy, we are being told prices are going down, but they are not, I shop online and my history from Dunnes Stores, Tesco and SuperValu is readily available to me, I can see the price increases, sometimes something drops in price for a fee weeks(items not on offer) and suddenly go back up, my history shows me how many items I purchased in the past, my income hasn't changed in the last few years, so I've stuck to the same budget, €170 main shopping + €30 goes to the local village shop, milk etc, or if necessary, buy products that didn't come with delivery/out if stock, anyway, pre 2021 €170 averaged 100+ items, now it works out just over half that figure, 55 items, so I spend the same, and get less, less quality in some cases, and as many other posters echoed less quantity, I've became more savvy on what I buy, multi packs on offer, some may remember that there used to be 3 for €5 or even 5 for €5, now 2 for X and 3 for X, sometimes for higher monetary amounts, so sometimes that filled my trolley, so that's a factor also...

Wonder what % of that the poor farmer who does all the work gets? Cereal prices are well back this year so I can guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jj880

Aldi chicken / beef / curry noodles up from 20c to 64c in last 2 years. Then out come the headlines about grocery price reductions a few weeks back. Into Aldi and the noodles are 62c. Whoop! Whoop!

Now I see they're 69c!!! Theres just no end to it.

Advertisement