Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

The overriding vibe that the LLS has given off for many years is ............ lazy. No new ideas, no interest in making compelling tv, just shove a few nobodies on the couch every week, play those ads and peddle those sponsor giveaways. Job done.

It looks like it will be the same under PK. If that's the case, a wasted opportunity in light of what's gone on. May reserve judgement until he's done a round of LLS staples anyway. A couple of high profile interviews (if he ever gets them) A couple of hard hitting interviews on something controversial. See how he gets on with the specials and the Toy Show. My strong suspicion is it's going to be the same product as the last 14 years but with a different host. He's a 3 dimensional human being at least, so whatever he does will be better than what went before, but I think, more than likely, it'll still be barely notable.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted

Do not discuss moderator decisions in thread

And to be clear I will only engage with the relevant poster over any sactions issued

Any questions PM me - do not reply to this post in thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Why the need for.fair city staff to stay in a 200wuro a night hotel 20 mins from.montrose for a.atory conference?

Haven't they got any meeting rooma there?

According to the Indo this only happened in the past few weeks. Seems our money is being well spent,😕😄

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I don't know. The 24th of November is only a month away from Christmas eve. 30 sleeps. Smyths posted the catalogue out last week.

Santa needs to be sorted out early enough in December*. Leaving the LLTS too late could result in those troublesome situations where minds are changed after the letter has been sent.

*I have past form on leaving it much, much later, and it's not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

November means it won't feel Christmassy and besides they rarely have toys on the show. They just have Tubs trying to make himself look good at the expense of children. Glad he won't be there creeping people out.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

So kids really get that I fluenced by LLTS?

Mine never watched. I couldn't suffer it and I never saw the need to inflict it on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I would love to see the excuse but it is behind a paywall.

It is just part of RTÉ mismanagement.

I suspect that the Exe producer of Fair City is pretty much running her own department with in RTÉ. She's given a budget and she uses that budget with no really input from anyone outside Fair City.

She's given €17m, 10% is given to Admin & Management (Staff, Training and Marketing), 10% goes to actors and 80% to crew (make up, scripting and so on, with in this you also have room for training).

She pays no attention to value, its all about spend. IMO.

My reasoning is the press release for the photographer, I suspect that was call for by the Exe Producer. Really this should come from central costs with in the marketing manager (I guarantee you Mr. Nice But Dim was never made aware of what's going on in Fair City and Mr we assume he is sick also didn't know, head of Marketing and the head of content).

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 Toy Shows were all in November.

in the past 20 years, the toy show has only been held in December 5 times. So let’s not pretend that this is some radical departure from tradition that will ruin Christmas.

And it was always too early and felt all wrong. It hasn't been about Christmas for a long time, it was all about Tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ULMarc

It was mad the way they had the show sponsor, the competition, the ad breaks, the jury's hotel plug (was that the giveaway also?) and the TV license.

A bit greedy for a public funded entertainment show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I said I’d give PK the whole season to get to grips with everything- that’s probably way to generous - two shows in and I’m happy enough with PK- but it’s not PK, you’re right it’s the format of the show- last Friday was his first proper LLS- I was bored tbh - we predicted a lot more NI guests and that’s happening - but NI is a small enough patch of land- it won’t sustain TLLS for a season no less the next few years-what then?

TBH I don’t even know if the audience participation and panel discussion will work anymore- it was fine back in the day but there’s so many more shows now doing that so it’s not a novel thing confined to TLLS. I probably made my mind up this week- TLLS should just go quietly - hate to say it but it’s brain dead, kept alive for some unknown reason that nobody can remember.

Happy to be proved wrong by the end of season but I just don’t think so- you’ll expect a few golden moments as you would with any show but the bleedin country and western show, ah jayzuz no🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The number of media mentions for Tubrdidy seems to have declined. Perhaps even the entertainment journalists are getting tired of the stories about cutting edge studios, Big Podcasts, and offers from big broadcasters?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Tubs out batting for Tony Holohans new memoir...says it all really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

They’ve both had secret deals exposed, can cry on each other’s shoulders about the injustice of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Who’s going to do the toy show this year?

please tell me they will see sense and use the children’s tv presenters rather than trying to get Kielty to do it.

Although I get the impression that Kielty would have the sense not to do what Tubridy did, actually dressing up with the children and trying to sing, god that was sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Holohan was PK’s first opportunity for a newsworthy interview and he blew it.

It was an embarrassingly soft interview of a man who had just locked horns with the Taoiseach, whose opinions dominated our lives for over a year, who tried to block the Cervical Check inquiry and who then tried to get a tailor made job for himself in Trinity with €5 Million of our money.

PK didn’t get him to say anything of note.

Contrast that with the other PK, who knows how to conduct a serious interview.

Listen to Holohan condemning our nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Gavan Reilly has stepped back from doing his sunday show on Newstalk.

He was excellent at it, he emphasised that it was his own personal decision to step back from the show.

Tubs a possibility for that slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I think Kevin has made his point at this stage. It’d be sensible for him to announce Ryan will be back on the morning show from the start of January. And give serious consideration to bringing him back on a one off basis for the Toy Show. It’s be a great move, very popular and more people than ever would watch. Of course if that is done it might have to be on a partnership basis with Patrick, Ryan could start off and then Patrick take over a bit later maybe.

RTE not using what would be their greatest asset is really self defeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I honestly don't think tubs toyshow was anything more than hype , nobody is excited about it outside the media and I've never seen a kid last longer than 30 mins before boredom sets in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

You are just trolling now. Greatest asset ? I am definitely mixing in different circles to yourself as I honestly have not met one person who would want him back.

What is completely wrong on RTE’s part is not taking this opportunity to tackle the other waste in the organisation. The assets have been shown up in the PAC interviews to have questionable contract values based on a complete lack of competition for these stars. Nobody wants them and certainly not at the cost RTE is willing to pay. The advertising revenue is static regardless who is in the seat.

Although truthfully, it would turn a harsh spotlight on the board itself which has serious questions in regards to their own packages and exit packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Or tiredness ! Utter nonsense to put it on at 9:30 pm when its aimed at young kids

Can anyone answer me this...did Coveney or O'Leary get a redundancy package to leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

But was he fired? If he was fired he'd have a severance package. Neither RTÉ nor Rory are going to announce that he was fired. Firing someone looks bad, twice as bad when you have to pay severance.

______

Yesterday

I am going to take this at face value.

PK may have lost 50% of his audience following the first show, but that would have been expected. I was surprised it was not more, I didn't think much of the show myself.

I think the morning show is doing fine, but I would move to a more lighter news programme, hosted by 5 reporters, each hosting on alternate weeks, with local / soft news reports surrounding the show, I think just more of the same you'd consider just keeping one of the current guest presenters. Call the show Radiowide.

I think the ship has sailed on Tubs and RTÉ. It's up to Tubs to move his boat forward. I'd go back to the advise

Retire - Rest - Return

______

Yesterday

This is the kind of shitetalk that RTÉ personalities are allowed get away with in the media, as the RTÉ rehab continues

I'd say we'd not notice if RTÉ took a 4 month holiday much like the Today show!

Budget ---- how much ?

Audience ----- how big ?

Safe it for someone else!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Many, many years ago, the Toy Show was a national event when youngsters were allowed to “stay up late” and see the latest toys they could only dream that Santa might bring . There were cringey performances by showbiz kids and privileged kids who demonstrated the toys. Gaybo played the bambozzled grandad and then Pat Kenny played the awkward uncle but somehow this show was an annual highlight. (PK introducing the creator and star of the most successful show in the history of television as Gerry Seinfield is TV gold 😂)

Then, everything changed for toys. All the kids wanted was a PlayStation (and later, an iPhone) and they didn’t need Santa to get the fanciest toys (Scalextric!). Of course, RTÉ ignored the market and they were never going to give up an actual “hit show”, even if its entire raison d’etre was gone. So they transformed it into an ego trip for Tubs, who can almost sing and sort of dance. And those showbiz kids😫. Soon, normal kids were begging to go to bed while parents tried to recreate the magic of their childhood. It all ended with Toy Show - the Musical.

If Bakhurst brings Tubs back for a Toy Show, he will destroy any credibility he has created as a new beginning for RTÉ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I always thought of the Toy Show with Tubridy as "The Nightmare Before Christmas" just couldn't watch it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement