Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of "Zombie" by The Cranberries as an Irish sporting anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭standardg60

I had a good chuckle when Hickey said on TV last night that he had no right to speak on behalf of Northern nationalists, completely destroying his own argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

It is also worth pointing out that pre WW2 and the 1941 Atlantic Charter, there was really only the concept of might is right. Article 3 of the charter which the British agreed to gave people the right of self-determination, which didn't exist in 1916. So while violence may have been the only way in 1916, possibly, we can never know, it certainly wasn't the only way in the 1960's. For all those who say the IRA campaign was right, look at the mess it has made of the country and society up there.

Naturally people will be judged by the lyrics of the songs they sing. I am happy to be judged for singing the lyrics of the Cranberries song, I wouldn't sing the Celtic Symphony lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,054 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I dont think anyone singing it at a sporting event even understands the lyrics, its just a belter of a tune. Doesn't everything have to be **** broken down and analyzed, its so tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, I think people are totally overanalysing the song. If you heard it on the radio for the first time, the only thing you would be able to deduce is that it is some sort of anti-war song / anthem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Sorry 'to deliberately offend anyone' is probably the wrong term.

It does seem though that the song now has a political message for some rugby supporters.

Read this thread and you'll see plenty of examples.

I get that the vast majority of fans are just singing in to have the craic, enjoy the moment, honor Delores.

I just think singing 'Dreams' allows all that without the political stuff, and also the crass/tasteless stuff where people are some people are singing the song to wind up the opposition (again see the thread)

Personally I quite like the song, though it's not their best, and I support it's message in the right context.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,209 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To be fair, everyone should know about the atrocities committed by both sides.

I think it would have been a huge hit worldwide no matter what the lyrics were about - it's easily The Cranberries' best known song. I'm surprised there is any controversy around it....I saw a video yesterday of it being sung at Feile in Belfast and everyone was singing along at the top of their voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,769 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

How can singing a song that condemns terrorists bombing and killing cause offence unless of course you celebrate terrorists who bomb and kill?

100% correct. Sadly, I am not surprised by those who are criticising the playing of Zombie. As Gerry Adams said, they haven't gone away, you know.

• Advertisement

Yes, but as Irish people, we need to be particularly reminded of the shameful actions of those who claimed to be killing people on our behalf. There has been no proper atonement for the actions of the PIRA, and that has to be something that every Irish person is ashamed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,209 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

And even if we assume that an armed campaign was right, was it right to pursue it in the way they did? Some might argue that targetting the state infrastructure was ok and also targeting soldiers for example. But bombing civilians wasn't.

And that's besides the punishment beatings and kneecappings that were performed on their own community for anti social behavior. The youngest victim was 12 years old.

It's worth remembering that by the end the nationalist community were the ones that were in favor of the GFA and an end to the armed struggle. They wanted the IRA to go away.

My point was really simple, there is often this canard brought up where IRA supporters say would you also have disagreed with 1916. I am pointing out that the situation was objectively different at the time, there was no concept or right of self determination at that time. Obviously with the second world war, the Americans rightly pointed out that if it is wrong for European countries to invade and annex other European countries (Germany), surely it is wrong for them to do it elsewhere (UK)

IRA supporters ignore historical context when comparing 1916 with 1969 or 1993 when the Warrington bomb took place.

First off I corrected and said it's being used 'politically' but anyways....

A) It could be offensive if used to only condemn those who committed atrocities on one side of the conflict. I get that, see the outrage when Tr**p claimed there was wrong on both side in Charlottesville. Same logic applies here.

B) It could be offensive if it's perceived to be referring to all nationalists as 'Zombies'. People might support nationalism and be anti-violence. People might identify, or be identified as nationalists, because of their background and still not feel atrocities were carried out in their name.

I don't think at all that these were Delores' intentions, but I can see it.

Again, just play 'Dreams' and leave the politics out of it. I'd imagine the IRFU has a say over what songs are played at Ireland matches, 'Dreams' works better as a sporting song anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

your knowledge on sport is the same as your knowledge on irish history....poor. There is no comparison with the soccer team of the 90s/00s being ranked consistenly in the top 10 in the world and winning a world cup in rugby - there are 207 international teams in soccer, it is the worlds largest team professional sport by a country mile. Rugby which i enjoy very much is a niche commonwealth game played professional by about 12 teams - just look at the world cup some of the matches are ridiculous (france winning 96 -0 against namibia ffs) and you could basically reduce it to a 10 team tournament from the 16 at the moment. we are always ranked in the top 8 in the world in rugby guess why because thats the amount of teams who play it. Anyway, anyone against singing zombie which is a terrible song has thin skin same as anyone offended by up the ra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

But see, you're going for the theme you want to go for here, even though the reality is much more nuanced. Hume didn't set out on a mission to deligitimise the militant Republican struggle, he never pushed the same agenda of the Unionist parties that Sinn Fein or the IRA's participation in the peace process should be contingent on them renouncing violence or the justification of their struggle. Southern establishment figures like Garrett Fitzgerald were critical of his interactions with the IRA and the Unionists did not want to accept participation without contrition from Republicans.

Hume ploughed on regardless — he was after all a Derry man who, unlike some of the sanctimonious types in the South, had a real and intimate understanding of the injustices of the Northern state, Loyalist violence and the role of the British state in exacerbating and contributing to the violence.

Hume succeeded (in the long run) because he was capable of doing precisely the opposite of what you are doing. You would have been one of the people, alongside Fitzgerald, lambasting him back in the 80s, and yet here you are waving his legacy around, in full ignorance of the fact that (in actual fact) Sinn Fein's place in the political system today is part of Hume's legacy — even if he might not have foreseen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

What a load of shite all of this is.

Its a great, famous tune, that's easy for people to sing along too. That's the reason it's popular.

No ones singing it to annoy people. They're singing it, as it sounds great with a crowd sing along.

If people want to be offended, good for them. The real reason that most are offended, is that they don't like rugby, and aren't happy to see people having a great time while at the rugby

I don't think Dreams is as catchy and anthemic as Zombie, it's more of a lightweight airy pop song : Zombie is a big stadium rock number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Ireland played five matches in 1990, won none and scored two goals. This is commonly thought of as the height of the soccer team's achievement. If you think that's better than winning a Rugby World Cup would be, you'd be an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

It was the walkon song for some mma fighter in Dublin recently. Really milked it and fight was over after 20 seconds.

I agreed with everything that John Hume did to work for peace. The bad faith position you've taken is you've to try and portray me as basically the DUP. That's a common bad faith position taken in opposition to people who tell the truth about what the Provos were.

You know you can agree with John Hume deciding to talk to Gerry Adams in an effort to stop the murder, and also recognise that what the Provos did was nihilistic murder, right?

I don't think it started as political. I think it started as a sing-along but unfortunately has that meaning now.

See all the 'In your head shinner' taglines here for example.

Also not a song to be singing to goad the opposition either, it's about murdered kids.

But these things happen, pick a new song and move on.

The only people that Zombie goads are idiots who think that killing children with bombs is a good thing.

Why should we care if it offends a few Shinner cranks online who haven't been able to come up with a coherent reason as to why they're offended by the song?

If Ruth Dudley Edwards and Eoghan Harris objected to the singing of The Fields Of Athenry, would that be a reason to bin it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If you do something that triggers angry meatheads freaking out online then you've done something right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

As I said your knowledge of sport is the same as Irish history.... poor. Do you know you have to qualify for a soccer world cup, European championship etc. Winning a ten team international sport which you automatically qualify for because only 10 teams play it is no comparison. Very trump like if you to dismiss an indisputable fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Nonsense. Maybe some people think it's better to keep politics out of sport. I don't support the Wolfe Tones being sung either.

I know 99.99% of Rugby fans don't give a shite about the lyrics and it's not done to rile others but the fact is it has triggered debate particularly in the north.

I don't think that's a good place for any sport to be hanging around in.

If Rugby is above all that then stay above it.

Otherwise get in to the trenches of Irish politics.

• Advertisement

Not nonsense. There is no reason to be offended by Zombie unless you believe that killing children with bombs is a good thing. If there are a few people up North offended by it, all that proves is that the IRA mentality of violent republicanism is alive and well.

Advertisement