Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

Being positive was almost frowned upon by some pre season.

It's early days but it's been a superb start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'd love another title challenge but its very early days yet. There's a lot more to be happy with than not, so I'll take that for now.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'm not normally a great fan of isolated stats and, like most, I can see Darwin's flaws as well as his qualities. So caveated, this is pretty amazing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Impossible not to be positive.

Feels like we've had a tough fixture start and now we've spurs and Brighton away, next, if we got through these two games with 4 points... we have a reasonable fixture run coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Kostas signs a new long-term deal. Thought he might look to move on next summer but must be happy with his role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I'm amazed at that. He got 15 goals last season if you include that Charity Shield and if I remember correctly Mane got a similar goal tally in his first season with us. But I'd be delighted if Nunez hits over 20 goals for us this season. 25 would be an incredible season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,673 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I know some of the stellar players are off form , but I honestly think this is a title contender team . Early days , but I don’t doubt we’ll be there at season’s end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

Ok hands up... I didnt expect this start to the season - much better than i imagined .. Come on the Pool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Some people are still missing Henderson and fabinho....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Expected us to be in the top 4 at this stage. Don't think we will maintain a title challenge but will be happy with CL qualification and a cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Surprised but happy with Tsimikas' re-signing. He's good enough to start for about half the Premier League imo.

If we could just get RB cover sorted now. Have been saying that for a few years now. Gomez is fine there, but somebody of Tsimikas's quality there and we'd be sorted.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Great to have a player of his quality as a backup left back.

Robertson contracted until 2026, you'd imagine he won't be getting another, if there is a player I expect to suddenly decline its him, he has ran himself into the ground for 7 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I don’t see a title challenge this season, we should go well and hopefully finish well within the top 3, but I think we’re 1 or 2 players short currently. I definitely think Klopp has the bit between the teeth though and knows he’s got the tools to build something special again, reinforce the defence this January and next summer and I think we can go toe to toe with City next season.

The next 2 weekends are going to be a real test, there’s a possibility we only come away with 1 or maybe even 0 points from both fixtures. However, we shouldn’t let that derail what has been a very good start, both Spurs and Brighton are flying and to have them both away one week after the other is tough. I think that is the difference between ourselves and City currently, forget about City’s current Spurs jinx but if they had our fixtures the next 2 weekends it would take some monumental efforts to deny them taking all 6 points. They look as formidable as ever.     

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We should be beating both, min. 4 points from the next 2. Spurs have had a great start but fairly kind fixtures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭McFly85

Can’t think about a title race unless we’re within 6 points of City after the AFCON.

Hugely encouraged by our start but City without De Bruyne still look formidable. Will take 90+ points to be in the mix.

My personal expectations after last season were to get back into the CL spots and we’ve made a great start for that. A trophy too(particularly the EL) would be the cherry on top!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

The Ange Postecoglou interview with Gary Lineker on the BBC iPlayer (Football Focus) is a great 20min watch. He's a very likeable bloke, no ego and talks a lot sense in his management style.

He mentions Liverpool a few times. Says he's a lifelong Liverpool fan from watching Shankly's teams as a kid. Keen to see how he does with Spurs. If Klopp was to finish on the current deal, he'd be worth a look.

That’s my point, we all feel we should be beating them, but in reality it can go either way, both teams are flying it and we’re still suspect at the back. Whereas we know City would take 6 points and it would take something drastic for that not to happen. That’s why I feel a title challenge this year in unrealistic, but we started very well, seem to be putting together a nice team and I think we should finish comfortable within the top 3. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Brighton is a serious team and the harder of those two fixtures. Spurs break very fast but are softer at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Spurs are actually giving up plenty of chances so we can definitely get at them. Should be a good game.

• Advertisement

I think so to, I'd love to sneaky the win and we might pull it off, but i think this has a high scoring draw all over it. 2-2 I predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

You say we know City would take 6 points, even though Spurs have beat City at home the last 4 seasons or so & beat them at home in the Champions league aswell

If you read my post my post above that you would see I already highlighted the that. My point was that this City team are expected to win every match regardless of the opposition and do 95% of the time, whereas we’re not quite there yet, we need 1 maybe 2 more additions before we can be considered title challengers in my opinion. Especially some defensive reinforcements. 

As another poster said, they'll be up on 100 points again. I don't think we'll be able to match that pace.

I think you're 100% right Otto. City are just to consistent, thanks mainly to incredible squad depth

We've got great results, especially initially when we weren't playing well, but we don't have that inevitability about us

That said, I think we're going to have a very enjoyable season and finish pretty high. I just don't see us finishing top. Obviously I'll be absolutely delighted to be wrong though, come on fate 😉

Guessing something like this for tomorrow, though wouldn't be shocked to see Nunez keep his starting spot.

Kelleher

Bajcetic-Konate-Quansah-Tsimikas

Elliott-Endo-Gravenberch

Doak-Gakpo-Jota

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Long time no post in here, thought I'd drop in.

On this season I'm very happy with how we look compared to the shambles of last season. We can't continue to go behind in games though, but at least unlike last year we have some cohesion going forward and a platform in midfield. I actually think Gomez does really well filling in on the right side of defence, and prefer him there than centrally, although against Villa at CB he was excellent.

City will almost certainly win the league, we can almost all agree on that I'm sure, but I think we are the only team that can stop them winning it. If City are behind or similar points to any team after 25 games, of the possible teams it could be, I think Liverpool under Klopp are the only ones at that point that could go toe to toe with them. After this weekend City have a tough run of games coming up after a very kind start to the season for them. We need to keep being consistent and not let a gap develop, even though 2 years ago we came close after there being a decent gap after nearly 25 games, but realistically we need to be ahead or within a couple of points by Feb to have a chance.

I don't think it'll happen, but I do think it could happen, which is great considering most of last season. I think it is important to stay in competitions as long as we can, and was a point that Lijnders pointed out in the presser earlier today, that while we are in more competitions it keeps the whole squad sharp knowing they will get games, and the squad is very important. A bit of luck with injuries, especially when Salah is at Afcon and we could give things a good rattle this season.

If nothing else, it's nice to be optimistic at least while things are going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

City usually are particularly flawless in the second half of the season.

Its worrying to see them win their first 6.

Then again, a month ago I probably didn't think what City did would concern us so nice to be dreaming for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They haven't really been tested yet to be fair, but I'm not getting any hopes up.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

We need some luck essentially.

• Advertisement

Found a couple (excuse the cursor on screen)

Also as mentioned Nunez' hold-up play was so good, I could do a whole post on that alone but I'll leave it with this one

EDIT: the gifs may be dying nevermind 😐️

Post edited by Osmosis Jones on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I've a feeling this will be it too.

Possibly Trent starting as he hasn't played in 4 weeks and could do with some minutes before being expected to start vs Spurs & Brighton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Jermaine Pennant is on Celebrity SAS boxing the head off Matt Hancock.

What a time to be alive 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

If we start Darwin against both I think we will win comfortably against Brighton and Spurs.

He needs to start these games.

Was just thinking about Gakpo and how he spent a lot of time at PSV playing on the left wing. He created a lot of chances ad got a lot of assists from cutting onto his right and crossing it into the big man in the box.

Could be something to consider with Nunez. I feel like we haven't seen much of Gakpo/Nunez playing together and whenever we have it's Nunez on the wing or Gakpo in midfield.

Obviously need to mix it up for different opposition but my preferred front three is what started at the weekend.

Also a little Van Dijk PR:

Of the 21 Aerial Duels he's faced this season he's won 19 of them, which is the second best success rate in the league and the best out of anyone with more than 10 duels won.

His assist for Jota against West Ham has been our set piece blueprint all season, everyone cross is put in to him to head it back across goal for someone else. He did the same against Wolves I think Nunez' header that was saved at point blank.

It’s a funny one with Gakpo, I think he was originally signed as a left sided forwarded, but as last season’s shi*e show progressed, he was used more centrally for whatever reasons, and he was actually very efficient in the almost false 9 role ala Bobby. To be honest he was probably 1 of our best performers towards the end of the season and was one of the few bright notes on what was an extremely forgettable year. I have no doubt that he would have been Klopp’s first choice No.9 going into this season also, however injuries to midfielder’s kind of screwed him at the start and he was required to play as one of the midfield 3 for the first 2 games. Then Drawin comes on against Newcastle and the rest is history.

Onto your original point, I don’t know if Klopp will be looking at a situation where he wants both Gakpo and Nunez in the same front 3, I think he now sees them as 2 different options on how he wants us to set up. Nunez gives us way more scoring options when he starts as he’s just such a handful, whether its ball into feet or runs off the shoulder and in behind, defenders hate him, Nunez is now also a perfect foil for Salah, whereas teams were doubling and even tripling up on Salah last season they now can’t afford to do that because Nunez is very good at making runs into the gaps left behind. But I think Gakpo will get game time against the teams where Klopp will fancy a bit more control, I could definitely see him starting against City, Arsenal and even Brighton next weekend. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Not sure about the comfortable wins but I agree that Nunez needs to be the starting central striker. He's starting to hit his stride and has to start for as long as his form and fitness holds. Rest him for the cup games but want to see him start in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Can anyone remember the website that shows you the channels worldwide showing the game tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭realrebel

Live on sat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Taken from This Is Anfield, in case it helps. I haven't checked out what works yet...

SuperSport 6 Digitalb, TOD, beIN SPORTS CONNECT, beIN Sports HD 2, beIN Sports English 2, SuperSport GOtv Football, ESPNPlay Caribbean, Star+, beIN SPORTS 3, beIN Sports Connect, DAZN2, DAZN, Moja TV, Arena Sport 5 Serbia, GUIGO, ESPN2, NOW NET e Claro, Diema Sport 3, Play Diema Xtra, Arena Sport 9 Croatia, Cytavision Sports 7, Cytavision on the Go, TV3 Sport, Viaplay Denmark, Viaplay Estonia, Elisa Viihde Viaplay, V Sport 1, V Sport 1 Finland, Arena4, Vodafone Sport, Viaplay Iceland, Mola TV App, Mola, mola.tv, Sport 2, Setanta Sports Kazakhstan, SuperSport Kosova 6, Viaplay Latvia, Viaplay Lithuania, Viaplay Netherlands, MaxTV Go, V Sport 1, Viaplay Norway, Viaplay Poland, Sport TV Multiscreen, Sport TV4, Digi Online, Digi Sport 3 Romania, Arena Sport 3 Slovenia, DStv App, SuperSport Variety 3, DAZN 4, Movistar+, Viaplay Sweden, V Sport Extra, ESPN+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Very strong squad, which is unlike Klopp in the early rounds of the cups. But still lots of rotation all the same.

Kelleher

Jones, Konate, Quansah, Tsimikas

Endo, Gravenberch, Elliott

Doak, Gakpo, Jota

Adrian, VVD, Diaz, Szoboszlai, Nunez, Mac Allister, Matip, Bajcetic, Chambers.

• Advertisement

Confirms Nunez is firming his position as first choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Curtis Jones Captain..

Joe Gomez injured or rested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I'd say rested, which means trent not an option for the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Any chance endo plays right full and jones plays midfield

• Advertisement
Advertisement