Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of "Zombie" by The Cranberries as an Irish sporting anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

As far as I can see the majority of objections are coming from southern based online Shinner cranks who can't provide a coherent argument as to why they object to the song.

What is the objection? Do the cranks who are claiming offence even know what they're offended by?

Why would anybody be offended unless they supported blowing up children?

"As I said", lolz.

I'd say your knowledge of sport could be written on the back of a stamp. By your logic Christy Ring is a nobody in the Irish sporting pantheon because he "only" played hurling, which is only played to a high level in at best nine counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Again you miss the point completely.

The mere fact that there has been radio and TV discussion on this in the north, in the print media here, even this thread should tell you that this not a good route to go down.

It only deepens division, it's not good for Rugby or any sport to be intentionally or otherwise getting in to these trenches.

It helps no one.

I said the exact same thing when the Irish women's team stupidly were singing 'Up the Ra'.

It's all toxic.

Who is doing the dividing here?

Up The Ra glorifies a terrorist organisation. Zombie is a protest song against the murder of children.

Why should we be worried about people who are offended about a song which protests against the murder of children?

Who is it offensive to? Supporters of Ian Huntley?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭Francis McM

You say "Zombie" has triggered debate particularly in the north. You are wrong there. The debate was triggered in N.I years ago, when the like of "Fields of Athenry" was sung. Fields of Athenry is subtly racist and anti-British, it is dragging up old bitterness against the British, British brutality in sending starving Irish to Oz etc. If I was from a British background in N.I. and a resident and taxpayer in the UK ( and under the terms of the G.F.A. people there have a right to identify as they want ), I would not be impressed with what could only be perceived as a depressing anti-British ( British bad, Irish the victim ) being chanted / sung. Northern prods may not want to put their heads above the parapet and criticize it but I do not blame any of them for feeling uncomfortable when it is being sung, as the people who sing it loudest also sing celtic symphony loudest. The famine is long over, nobody that is alive now was alive then (by a long shot), time to stop singing about it.

The good thing about Zombie is that is not about politics, it is anti-terrorism.... as someone else said, it is a protest song against the murder of children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Do all of these southern 'Shinner cranks' support violence?

I'm interested to hear your take on this, especially with SF polling as they are.

You don't seem to allow that anyone could be nationalist or vote SF without supporting violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,763 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Why is it a problem that we have all been reminded of the atrocity committed in Warrington?

What divide is the song deepening? Between those that believe killing children is good and those that believe it isn't?

The question is not whether they support violence now.

The question is whether they justify the Provos' 27 year long orgy of murder. I've yet to hear one of them say they think it was unjustified.

To call the Provos' 27 year murder orgy out for what it was is an absolute disqualifying offence in terms of being a Sinn Fein member. The central core "value" of Sinn Fein is the justification of that 27 year long orgy of murder.

You conveniently forget the partition of this country, Loyalist pogroms against catholics in the north in the 1960's and early 70's, all those burned out of their homes, and certain events involving the British army etc...always conveniently ignored by those who have zero comprehension of what it was like up there for people, many of whom had to flee to this state.

How far do you want to go here?

Do you condemn the rugby fans for singing the Fields of Athenry?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭goodlad_ourvlad

I like Swing low sweet chariot... it would be a great Irish song

• Advertisement

How does that any of that justify blowing up English children?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A few people on twitter mentioned the Song, I doubt if any SF rep even talked about it outside of general chat during leafletting and at that it wouldn't have been a 5 second conversation.

Some people support their country's army. Some don't, there are cafes in California that will not serve US soldiers etc, often with much of the same reasoning as cited here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭Francis McM

A lot of the younger SF cranks have been brain washed in to a revionist view of the troubles. During the troubles, S.F. only got 1 or 2% of the vote south of the border. No TDs.

No we have the SF leader in N.I. still proclaiming there was "no alternative" to IRA violence. She still attends and gives speeches at commemorations of terrorists. Would it not be unreasonable to suggest a lot of SF - and more than likely most - would take their opinions / views of the troubles / pira from the SF leadership and their supporters, and would agree with the leadership of SF on same?

Yes I know there are some people who vote SF because it is a housing or protest vote etc, but I would still imagine some of the propaganda of SF has soaked in, in most case of "Shinner cranks" as someone called them.

I'd say you don't get out and about much.

But anyways.

I guess you think it's important then these people hear 'Zombie' to be reminded of the unjustified atrocities?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭standardg60

You keep going on about goading and it's absolute nonsense.

You do know the South Africans played it themselves after the URC final don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

As was common in the past sfira have blown them selfs up with this one , going after a stadium full of happy people out of spite is a big mistake by the provo press office .

but if the future of Ireland with sfira in charge is only talking about the history they allow its a warning to us all

also its just a song and a load of drunk people ,

This is a genuinely frightening view of the world. First of all it claims that a terrorist murder gang are the legitimate defence forces of this state, not the actual Irish Army.

This view says that the "real" Irish Army are now in fact dissident terrorists, the sort of scumbags who murdered Lyra McKee.

Secondly it holds that everybody should support their country's army no matter what. That's a view that holds that any British person who opposed Bloody Sunday was a traitor to Britain.

It also holds that any Russian who opposes Russia's barbaric war against Ukraine is a traitor to Russia.

It's genuinely scary that there people with this kind of worldview out there.

You're resorting to childish personal insults now.

Have you ever heard a Sinn Fein member or supporter say that the Provos 27 year murder orgy was in fact a disaster and that John Hume and the SDLP had the correct approach?

What is the hissy fit over Zombie over? Do you know?

Go back to earlier in the thread and you'll see people were singing it as a message about being in the oppositions heads.

In my view that's poor taste.

Never said it did and you try to escape inconvenient truths by constantly saying that in an effort to shut down debate. I have nothing but contempt for the IRA and Sinn Fèin.

I'm one of the most anti SF posters on boards.

To be specific the one line that I find problematic in the song is "it's in your head".

The reason I have an issue with that is if I were from one of those many families who were victims of the Loyalist pogroms, murdered or torched out of their homes in the 60's / 70's, for example, I'm essentially being told it never happened - you imagined it...it is insulting. I would find that insulting.

I think I would be right to be insulted by that by people such as yourself with zero comprehension.

• Advertisement

They'll probably try to censor Paul Brady's "The Island" next. Brady of course was a partitionist free state bastard from Strabane.

They say the skies of Lebanon are burning.

Those mighty cedars bleeding in the heat.

They're showing pictures on the television.

Women and children dying in the street

And we're still at it in our own place.

Still trying to reach the future through the past.

Still trying to carve tomorrow from a tombstone...

They're raising banners over by the markets

Whitewashing slogans on the shipyard walls

Witchdoctors praying for a mighty showdown

No way our holy flag is gonna fall

Up here we sacrifice our children

To feed the worn-out dreams of yesterday

And teach them dying will lead us into glory...

Now I know us plain folks don't see all the story.

And I know this peace and love's just copping out.

And I guess these young boys dying in the ditches.

Is just what being free is all about.

And how this twisted wreckage down on main street.

Will bring us all together in the end.

And we'll go marching down the road to freedom....

Freedom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭standardg60

I've read the whole thread, the only person continually bringing it up is you.

Can you answer my question about the URC final. Were you aware of it or not?

What has that got to do with singing a song that condemns blowing up children with bombs?

I apologise for the insult.

I was thinking out loud and I find it hard to understand your extreme black and white view of the world.

Yes some things are absolutely wrong.

But you seem happy to assign this violent worldview to people with the most tenous connection to the actual wrongdoers.

Why is being in opposition to the murder of children by terrorists in poor taste?

Yes, it is important that people are educated about what the PIRA did and how vile they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,829 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'd go for Christy's '' Crazy World ''. Brilliant chorus too.

I don't have an extreme black and white view of the world.

I have a black and white view that the Provos' 27 year long murder orgy was exactly that.

And I'm teasing out the logical consequences of people throwing a hissy fit over a song that was a protest against murdering people and what it says about the real worldview of those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

• Advertisement

Because they're not singing it in opposition to the murder of children. They're singing it to goad the opposition.

Words, and songs, and actions, can have different meanings based on the context.

I don't want to insult you, but it seems that either you struggle with some fairly obvious things, or you're willing to bend logic this way and that in your crusade against the 'shinner cranks'

Advertisement