Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of "Zombie" by The Cranberries as an Irish sporting anthem

Options

Comments

• Yeah, I'd agree with this interpretation. If you look at the version of the video that was originally banned when released, you've got British soldiers walking around the streets, plus shots of republican and loyalist murals in equal measure. The song (quite rightfully) rails against the needless deaths of children no matter who killed them IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Ethonationalist drivel and more Disney history.

What Irish person sings about the "heroic" British Army?

The Provos murdered 1800 people and inflicted nihilism on NI society and elsewhere for 27 years. That's why they're hated.

You're comparing the Provos to the Taliban in admiring tones. Need I say more.

Then you talk about a "cuck" mentality among people who oppose needless slaughter. The similarity to the Trump cult grows ever stronger, even the same words are now used. What will your next insult be? "Soy boy"?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,763 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yeah, it does seem quite shocking that there are so many who want to censor a song that criticises the bombing of children.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The vast majority of people voting for SF in the last few elections do not support the Provisional IRA bombings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Of course there is an anti Shinner sentiment in Ireland. Many people do not appreciate their efforts to airbrush history.

The majority of Irish people do not vote for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I don't think anyone's saying they're against it because it calls out criminal thugs.

Some people are against it because they feel it only calls out nationalist thugs.

Others because they feel it's broadly attacking all nationalists and not only those who committed atrocities, calling them 'Zombies'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

The only drivel here is you. I'm clearly talking about Brits heroically singing about their army's and they've done a million times worse over the years and centuries. Likewise many other armies that are glorified.

By needless slaughter I don't think you realise what happens in war. Every war is "needless"slaughter. And by "society" do you mean the one where there was apartheid against us? Was that going to change without a war? Regardless the Brits are solely to blame for any civilian who's died on this island for a war created by themselves.

Irish people will continue in ever growing numbers to glorify the IRA and there's nothing you Brit appears can do about it.

Anyone who thought at time that Warrington was justified, or who thinks it now, is a certifiable idiot. Calling them a zombie seems like fair comment to me. I don't see who anyone could have a problem with that.

Some people are against it because they feel it only calls out nationalist thugs.

They're wrong.

Others because they feel it's broadly attacking all nationalists and not only those who committed atrocities, calling them 'Zombies'

Then they're idiots.

I'm well aware.

But it seems that at least some people who want to sing the song to make a political point don't make that distinction.

• Advertisement

I thought you weren't going to trade insults with other users here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I better explain to you what the connection is of Damian Walsh and the Warrington boys who were killed by an PIRA bomb. The killing of the Warrington boys was rightly condemned by all both in England and in the South here. Protest marches were organised here at the time.

My point has and is that if anyone should be aggrieved about Zoombie its the families of the catholic children in the Northern Ireland troubles that were killed and completely ignored at the same time as the Warrington boys. Can you understand how offensive all of this is to Damian Walsh's family that his death was completely ignored while suddenly we in the south here developed enough of a conscience to protest the killing of British children.

Anyway, have you watched the official video of the song. Its clearly an anti-war song. Whatever equipment the PIRA had, they were not the ones with the tanks (if you listen to the songs).

What I don't like about this controversy is that some people are trying to turn it into an anti PIRA song, when it isn't just that. I always thought it was interesting that Tim Parry's dad didn't know that the song was about the Warrington bombings until Delores died. There is a good chance that most people singing it at rugby matches don't get it eitherm but I do see how the way that it is being portrayed by some now down here how hurtful it is to the families of those from the nationalist community who suffered losses in the Troubles and no one took any notice of them.

It seems to me that people who didn't think Warrington was justified might also feel they're being called a 'Zombie'.

People can take different meaning from a song.

I see Fields of Athenry as first and foremost a romantic song, others say it's a political song.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

deleted

You've singled out Damian Walsh on an arbitrary basis in order to create a particular bullshit narrative which Sinn Fein want to push. The reality is the names of the vast majority of Troubles victims, regardless of background, are not remembered by the public. Is it an insult to the family of Danielle Carter that her name is not widely known to the Irish public or indeed the English public despite her being a child who was blown up by a PIRA bomb in England in the early 1990s? She died in a similar manner to Jonathan Ball and Tim Parry yet their names are known and hers isn't.

Is it an insult to the other victims of the Enniskillen bombing that Marie Wilson's name is widely known but the other victims' names aren't?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

That CAIN site is a pain in the hole to get through, you seem to know your way around it, so can I ask you a question:

You claim that the PIRA fought a 'cleaner' war than the British side, because the Brits targeted civilians while the provos targeted military targets, for wont of a better word, correct? If this is true, then the question has two parts:

a) How many civilians were killed by the British?

b) How many civilians were killed by the provos?

If b) is greater than a), then it doesn't matter who their targets were, they cannot be considered to be 'cleaner' (which is a terrible choice of word) by any stretch of the imagination. If you could include a link to where you're pulling these figures from, please, as the website is a mess to navigate.

Warrington was the death knell of the PIRA. They lost a huge part of the tiny support that they had, leaving them with little option but to come to the table. Dolores was a part of that, bringing attention to the completely futile nature of the actions of the PIRA. As were the protests against the PIRA that emerged at the time. That day was the beginning of the end for the PIRA, and that is the real reason why the Shinners are up in arms about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭Francis McM

It is also worth remembering that over 99% of the 16,200 bombs during the troubles were planted / set off by Republicans, often with the intent to kill and seriously injure because that is what bombs do.

As an Irish person, none were planted in my name....even though some misguided posters think it was "Irish forces" who planted them.

What users have I insulted? I correctly stated that anybody who thinks Dolores O'Riordan was attacking all nationalists and calling them all zombies would be an idiot. They absolutely would be if they held such a belief. Shouldn't idiotic beliefs be recognised as such rather than indulged? The indulgence of idiotic beliefs is a large part of what has the the world in such trouble at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

its a statement of fact ,

any other position on the subject is delusion

• Advertisement

But if find your views idiotic I can't insult you?

Talk about wanting it all your own way! 😂

Are you of the view that Dolores O'Riordan was insulting all nationalists and calling them all zombies?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,840 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If ye think the anger is bad now lads. Just wait to you see the outrage when Zombie is blaring out in Dublin next July as Limerick do the first hurling 5 in a row.

The only way in which a user could have been insulted by any of the comments or the song itself, is if they thought it was a good idea to bomb children in Warrington. Are you really sure that you were insulted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

No.... but wait for this...

It'll really blow your mind....

I think there's a degree of ambiguity in the lyrics, just as there is in almost every lyric, poem, work of art.

And while I don't think that's what Delores meant, I can understand that others might see it that way.

Just as you see 'Fields of Athenry' as a political song, I see it primarily as a romantic song.

Songs don't have one fixed meaning.

If you don't think Dolores O'Riordan was attacking all nationalists and calling them zombies you have no reason to feel insulted.

• I'd agree. It's a right pain in the proverbials to even navigate to the crosstabulations page which is the one you want to find the relevant data.

Link: https://cain.ulster.ac.uk/sutton/crosstabs.html

As to your question. The BA killed 150 civilians, the IRA 491. So no, they ain't 'cleaner' as a consequence. And yes: it's not a nice term IMO.

I'm not insulted because of that, but I can see why some people might be and I don't want them to be excluded from enjoying the rugby match.

Personally I don't like that some people are now making this an anti SF issue. As somebody who's reluctantly considering voting SF in the next election I find that deeply patronizing.

I'm not considering SF for my vote on the basis of their nationalism, but because they present the only viable option for getting a left leaning government in.

When I watch a rugby match I don't want anyone feeling they have to 'educate' me on choosing the only choice I feel I have right now for my kids to maybe own their own house or go to college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Thanks a million, this is exactly the stuff I was looking for. I was wondering why the other poster kept using the word "targeted" instead of the word "killed". I think we can all see why, now.

Advertisement