Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price gouging by the pub, restaurant & hotel industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,140 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Would you think that someone charging 24.5 euro for a corned beef sandwich, a coffee and a few chips was providing good value?

Customers have a choice, and can choose not to consume the product.

Customers don't have a right to demand that the business lower the price. They can vote with their feet and go elsewhere.

Nobody is forcing anyone to pay 24.50 for a corned beef sandwich. It's a choice, a choice made by the consumer.

Not answering the question though. Do you think this was good value?

It depends on the quality of the product / ingredients; the place in which you dine, sides, and so on.

If I determine it's not sufficiently good value, I just won't buy it.

I wouldn't complain on the Internet that the business wasn't lowering their price for me.

Some say that a Ferrari is a waste of money, but some people choose to buy one. Other rich people determine it's not good value. It's a subjective choice that everyone makes for themselves.

Or that they were raising their prices to screw you. You are right in your point that people can vote with their feet. Many are doing just that.

• Advertisement

Let's assume you're correct, and the business deliberately raised the price to 24.50 for a corned beef sandwich to "screw" the customer.

Why would you still choose to dine there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Of course it's not. Even if you say the chips and coffee cost 8, there's a lot of gymnastics needed to get to 16.50 being good value for some cheap meat and bread.

100% agree with @[Deleted User] on people voting with their feet, which they are, but I don't see anyone demanding businesses reduce their prices here. Yes, there are some unfair examples in the 34 pages, but plenty of good examples too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Depends. If you go in and sit down you're sitting in a rented premises, with staff, and bills. The food itself needs to be cooked and prepared.

Breakdown probably something like 13/14 for the sambo, 6 for the fries and 4 for the coffee. Saucy enough but its in Blackrock. Rents would reflect that too. Say its two people, thats 50 quid. Could've been there an hour. Restaurant gets maybe 35 quid of that after tax before costs - food, labour et al. So maybe 15-20 quid profit all in. For an hour.

Again, the prices would've been on the menu. You don't even have to go. Just look online first.

I find it bizarre people walking into a place, ordering food, eating it and then complaining that it was a rip off. Just don't go!

Then I just don't see what the issue is.

These days you can check a website, their menu etc. online. You can read reviews to establish value for money. You don't even need to do that if you turn up at the time and read the menu outside an establishment.

If everyone decides to vote with their feet, nobody can complain. The business didn't force you to buy their product, you made that conscious choice.

I find it bizarre people walking into a place, ordering food, eating it and then complaining that it was a rip off. Just don't go!

I agree, I cannot get my head around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,267 ✭✭✭✭rob316

While I might curtail my dining out with the prices, in my experience people always find money for drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

They'll, more than likely, not go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭CONSI

Was out as a group on Saturday. Got the set menu as 24 of us. Nice duck liver Pate starter, steak for main, cheesecake for desert...nice presentation on all three courses, plenty of veg and extra chips to go with Mash on the main, 2 different sauces options with steak...€40 set menu (€5) extra for steak...thought thatw as good value considering it was in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I don't see what the issue is either. Some will complain, some will counter. I'm sure most folks do an online pre-check, I know I do, but then there may be circumstances where people are forced into giving their custom. Not by the owners but by being invited to whatever social event. That's where I would imagine at least some of the post-meal complaints are from.

There's plenty of good value in Dublin if people take the time to find it.

Too many people just want things cheaper because they can't afford it, more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Good value in early birds as well if people are price aware.

Plenty of good restaurants in Dublin doing cheap 3 courses up until 7PM.

and I don't get how people are shocked when they get the bill. Every eatery has a menu with prices before you go in, if its not in your budget move on to the next place. Do people really just pick somewhere and not take any notice of the prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭fliball123

Do you expect people to forgo essentials to go and pay 20 euro for a burger that's not logical. All wage increases over the last 12/13 years have been eaten up by inflation and wages are not rising so in effect the working population has seen a wage decrease in real terms. The idea that you want people to make really unrealistic decisions like leaving the heating off for the evening and then they might be able to afford a 20 Euro burger is really pie in the sky stuff the essentials have gone through the roof for the standard worker. If someone is running a business that's not viable then its up to them to cut and run or charge a price point that is more affordable if they are not making a profit then they hit the wall that's how it works. You can bet that with the looming taxes that were parked during covid which have to be paid soon may well see a lot of businesses closing.

Which business is forcing people to enter their establishment to pay 20 euro for a burger?

If people cannot afford to pay that rate, then they are under no obligation to enter the premises.

There are plenty of cheaper alternatives where you can easily pay 10-13 euros for a burger and fries in Dublin.

I paid 9.50 for a cheeseburger in Bunsen last week. Really good burger.

Probably could've went into a fancy hotel and paid 20 quid but I decided not to.

• Advertisement

I accept that but a company asking for a higher price point from people who are facing a cost of living crisis and then moaning when they are struggling to stay afloat is not realistic the government should not be intervening and if you cant survive due to how things are then the tax payer should not bear the brunt of this and the business will simply have to hit the wall and hopefully someone with a better idea/business model can step in and try and make a go of things. So by all means try and get more on your profits but at the end of the day people are being strangled financially for the basics in the country and as night follows day luxuries are the first to go.

9.50 you could of have bought 4 burgers, baps, bag of spuds, bottle of minerals and had a family dinner for four of burgers and chips and a drink and not having to tip for same price. I didn't bring the 20 Euro burger into the discussion by the way some other poster did.

I recently spent 15,000 euro on a holiday. That included private tours (approx. 1,000 euros each), 5-star hotel suites, luxury restaurants, and business class flights.

I consider that good value and within my budget.

Most people don't budget and consider that incredibly bad value for money.

In other words, value for money is invariably in the eye of the beholder, what they can afford etc. The argument that, "Well, there's a cost of living crisis..." is a pretty dire excuse. Whether we want to acknowledge it or not, most people don't budget and wouldn't know how to budget. When bad times inevitably arrive, they blame everyone else apart from themselves for the state of their current life standards.

Perhaps if they made better decisions in the past rather than blaming businesses responding to inflation today, the situation may have proven more positive for them.

Or about 20KG of flour. Imagine all the good you can make with this?

Thats another thing about value that annoys me. People moaning about supermarkets prices but they dont cook, just buy pre made stuff. Thats for another thread.

The country is absolutely awash with cash, the good pubs and restaurants are out the door. Cost of living is been offset with wage inflation. Population is booming

The hospitality industry is probably the most reckless industry out there, if you don't know your arse from your elbow you'll go to the wall quick. They always have the paw out looking for the next dig out. The price of a pint goes up 20c they are crying in the media, most of the products in my business went up by 70% in the last 12-18 months, who can we cry to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"Cheap meat and bread" is a very antiquated view of a sandwich.

I often pay 10 to 12 for sandwiches in Limerick and they are way tastier and more intricate that many "dinners" I have bought for those prices.

Same attitude all over this thread about fish & chip and burgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Well if I went in before they started ripping people off and had a good experience and now I've went back thinking the place values customers, I'd then have a choice to make. Most likely I'll go elsewhere but their is a chance I'd still dine their, it would be for the last time and I'd make sure to tell people afterwards that they are now ripping people off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Excuse me.

They're artisan, hand cut, potato slices...

...and they'll set you back 13.99 for a bowl.

15.99 if you want the salt condiment added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I'm a good Catholic lad. Using condiments would be a sin!

Advertisement