Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

That sounds promising…

Did you call or email them? If you called them, did you ask to speak to a particular person or was it just whoever answered the phone? Do they say they’ll contact you again in 6 months or did it just happen to be roughly 6 months whenever they did so?

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@DrPhilG - "Getting into the routine..."

Sweet, innit? 😁

The only thing I have to remember is to stop dumping from battery into the grid when I go to bed. All this is screaming to be automated of course.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

does the sunsynk naturally export a little bit or have you done something to let it export a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭con747

I just rang them, the first 2 times I didn't make a note of who I dealt with so made sure the 3rd time I did. I have the old school reversing meter and just explained to them it was more beneficial to me to keep it as long as I could without refusing the smart meter, the 3 people I talked to were very obliging and had no issue putting me down the list. Ring them and just ask can they put you down the list. I think it's 6 months if they do because I got my first letter around April 22.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

It naturally exports a little bit. You can compensate for this with the "grid trickle feed" option that can be set somewhere between 0 and 500W in steps of 10W. I leave it at zero, which suits me fine with the smart meter and the very generous feed in tariff

What doesn't help me is that I have an enormous length of cable for the CT clamp between inverter and CU. I'm kinda waiting on the Sunsynk long announced wireless CT to become available to buy, couldn't bother tidying up in the mean time

There's also a setting in Sunsynk (and also on the phone app) where you can switch between "limited to home" - the default setting I normally use and "selling first". So when PV dies down in the evening, I switch to "selling first", I can specify "max sell power" i.e. 3000W, then it starts dumping 3kW into the grid. I switch back when I go to bed or obviously before 2AM as I want to max import between 2AM and 5AM and don't want to export anything during these hours 😁

• Advertisement

I think they now recommend a rs485 meter instead of a CT for long runs. That can be made wireless via a TCP modbus adapter and the likes.

Big Lar has just done it with his Solis. There is also loRa adapters too which would be point to point wireless, not via your own WiFi/ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

It's actually constantly importing a little (0-50w while generating) and then it settles down once power comes from the batteries/at night

I'm not really seeing it export anything.

I'd like to move to a meter as well since they now recommend it if the CT cable is over 10m

Wait until you get a sm, that is the most accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Just spoke to Pinergy again.

They said that my account is now showing as provisionally connected on their system, and it should be 100% live within 2 more days. I asked him regarding the Energia claim that my usage would be backdated via the smart meter data to the Pinergy rates from the date I signed up ie the 16th. He checked with a supervisor and said yes but I could tell he wasn't sure. Time will tell. I'm now working to the 2-5am schedule anyway so hopefully it'll all settle within a week. Pinergy app still not showing my usage but he said that once the account is fully live, that will come through.

I have a shelly on the main feed so I already know it draws more than the 50w that the inverter reports (confirmed by the d/n meter also)

I suppose it's not possible to have it exporting a little (like the soafrs) since it would then mean the house load is coming from the grid instead of PV/battery.

I'd say replacing the CT with a meter is the only thing that might improve that, or maybe not at all since it needs to poll the grid all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭snor

are they going to base your level pay on last 3 months usage from the smart meter did they say. Thanks

Level pay for the first 3 months is just a random figure based on average use for a 2 person household in winter I think. It's going to be almost €300 a month for the first 3!

Beyond that they'll get a proper average but since I'll still be using a lot through winter I'd say it'll be the next quarter ie April before it drops significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Got my notice from ESBN saying that they are going to swap out my D/N meter soon, got another letter from them this morning saying that a contractor will be in touch shortly (TLI) to do the retrofit. Decided to call them to get an idea, booked in now for 4 weeks’ time...excellent stuff

Finally will I get full benefit for my FIT and can use the night time boost for charging the EV, should save me at least €500-600 per year.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Thanks. That was what I heard alright and put me off. I have Solar and battery so bills are pretty low anyway.

I haven't paid anything on electric for 2 years so paying €1k in 3 months is going to be a shock lol.

Totally! Do u feel it’s really worth your while - for the longer ev charging window and slightly higher FIT?

I’m in 2 minds myself but just find the 2 hr ev window with my current EI night boost a bit short but do still have the cheap rate night. Need to run the sums 🤣

Well it's not like I won't get that €1k back.

It's just credit and once it's clear that I'm not actually spending that much I'll get it back.

I'm moving from a 9hr window to a 3hr one but there just aren't any d/n tariffs that can compete with Pinergy at the minute.

Can you pick to NOT go for the level pay with the pinergy tariff?

Nope, but what does it matter? 😂

It will adjust down to whatever is a more appropriate level within a few months and then they will pay you the balance if they owe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,394 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The last paragraph is depending on battery bank size surely.

A 2/3 hr window isn't worth much to someone with a small battery bank if they are on 12/14c night rate for 9hrs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Exactly. The pinergy deal only really makes sense if you can import 10-15kW during the 3 hour window, fill up at least 35-45kWh of batteries, and then do not use any day rate because they charge punitive day rates.

I worked it out for my use case (3 EVs, 40kWh of home storage, 6kW inverter) and the flogas deal with 13c night rate and 24c fit works out better for me once the day/night smart meter RM108 is installed, vs the pinergy meter. Before that, I'm not exporting anything and only importing at night rate, so I'd actually need the longer window.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭paulbok

Got my third letter last week about the changeover, got another yesterday from MDE Installations to say they will be doing it.

No date given, my meter is indoors do it'll need to be arranged. Hoping to push it out as long as possible to let my meter catch up, ahem.

Have a look at my 2 posts #271 and #275 in this thread, they had no issues pushing mine back 3 times "18 months" and said they will do so until ESBN start asking questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Just bear in mind that if your clock is running slow and your night rate is effectively running until 10am, you realize also that it doesn't start until 1am. Ultimately if the clock is slow/fast you still only get that 9hrs reduced rate.

Course ultimately even if you push the install back, eventually they'll stop paying deemed export.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭paulbok

Going on last year's grid demand from October on, if I can get it put back to Jan, the meter will have rectified itself.

I'm going to push it out as long as possible! Mine catches up around February.

Deemed FIT stops in October or so ESBN says. Anyone got another confirmation of that?

ESBN says where?

It is unreasonable to stop FIT until the homeowner has been offered an install date for a smart meter.

I have a letter saying that Deemed fit will continue until SM installed. But If you refuse it will stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,394 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Advertisement