Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hurt Locker: Ireland v South Africa. Saturday 23rd September. Stade DeFrance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's a credit to the team that they dug in and went toe to toe with the bokkes. To me, the difference is Farrell! He's a vastly better man manager than Schmidt. Farrell has self belief and instills it onto the team. There's no quit in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Not ENJOYING a victory over the reigning world champions in a nail biter of a match makes you a bit of a doom merchant (of sorts).

I enjoyed pool wins in 2011, 2015 and 2019, only to watch us get embarrassed when it really counted. I'll enjoy it when they actually go and achieve something at the World Cup. It was a good win, but it doesn't really change anything. SA are looking to peak for the knockout stages. The real test is still to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭irelandrover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

Fancy going through life worried about things you have no control of.

I for one are enjoying the moment because whatever happens next will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,685 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If we don't beat Scotland well, we deserve to come home. No business proceeding to the QF's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Absolutely. For me it's like watching the Cork hurlers. I still can't look at Hansen's try - I was convinced he went over the dead ball line.

Bring back the days when we were well beaten after 20 minutes. Far more relaxing :-)

A still from the video posted a while ago should let you enjoy it. Ball was down well before the elbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lunarhog

ladssss, would ye all relax. We are winning the whole thing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I didn't particularly enjoy the pool win over a poor Scotland side in 2019 and losing against Japan most certainly "really counted"

Try to stop forcing your pessimistic, history repeating narrative on different events. But look, if you want to be a curmudgeon and not enjoy the win suit yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Long time doom merchant here -

Unreal performance and what really stood out is the calmness with the exception of going to the corner a few times when maybe 3 points was the right call.

Very few missed tackles and very few silly penalties. Sexton led by example and fronted up as best he physically could and that rubbed off on everyone else. Aki was immense.

I think if the fixture is to be repeated, Pollard at 10 could do damage however it will be a battle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I didn't particularly enjoy the pool win over a poor Scotland side in 2019

Ah, doesn't that make you a doom merchant?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think the issue a lot of posters have is that you constantly move the goalposts.

For example, we’re also looking to peak for the knockout stages, but you were happy to criticise our “poor” form in the warm-ups.

That’s just completely contradictory. And there’s plenty more examples.

After the 2022 6 Nations, I’m fairly sure you criticised our attack. We had just scored the joint-2nd highest ever number of tries, 7 more than the next team.

After the 1st Test in NZ, you criticised the mentality of the team. We went on to win the series.

For the 2023 6 Nations, you said anything but a Grand Slam would be a failure. We won it.

You keep saying “we’ve been here before” when many posters have pointed out the circumstances are very different.

And tbh, that’s all without even mentioning your posts about Leinster.

If anything, your negativity is giving me even more hope for the QF tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No, because we went in as a dysfunctional team and that wasn't a particularly indicative result over a bad Scotland team. It is not remotely the same as a win over a SA team, fresh off a hammering of NZ, in which we counteracted their major strengths.

I enjoyed our win over France but was exceptionally worried about the injury toll it wrought.

I enjoyed our win over Aus but the fuckery with the team afterwards was a concern.

I enjoyed the win over SA, am thrilled to come out with no injuries, and think we will be favourites in every game we go into from now on. We have the bad fortune of having to play NZ in the QF, but I intend to enjoy our continued reign as the best team in the world until it is no longer true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Judging new Zealand I think we would be hot favourites and the confidence boost we could get from thumping them might be exactly what we need to take home the cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Knocked us down to 3rd place in the rankings in the process.

I will now proceed to use a term which my Irish wife reserves for the mosquitoes...

Wanker Bastards.

Still want a SA vs Ireland final.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ha! If that was the only time we’d seen the miserable attitude then you might have a point. This one incident is one in a long, long list of incidents. You’re being judged on them all, not just one. And it’s a fair judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

One of the things that farrell has brought to the team and shows on the pitch is consistency.

We do t have ups and downs. There are mistakes but they are forgotten about.

We dont have bad days. We have some days where we are excellent and other days we are very good.

NZ have problems in their pack which could lead to a terrible day out at some stage.

England have discipline problems which will count against then at some stage.

Ireland are far more well rounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Looking to peak by losing in the group stages

Got ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Think we were unlucky not to get a penalty from the Aki turnover at the end. Perhaps we could've been cuter buying one there, instead of kicking the ball away hurriedly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

There's some kind of narrative forming about SA getting Ireland later and they'll beat them, it'll be different next time etc.

I am thinking the opposite, we could beat them by 10-15 next time, to me it looked like we were the rustier team coming into peak form and they were the waning team, trying to carry their peak for a few more games. I think timing suits Ireland better, we will be fully battle hardened by the knockouts.

Very true.

Defeat at this stage and in that game in particular could take a heavy toll. It certainly looked like it had on the final whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Surely, policing the lineout gap should be a relatively straightforward matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

Whatever about timing peaks, SA will wonder where their improvement comes from. Obviously a solid kicker helps, but they sacrifice something significant in their attack bringing in Pollard. A bigger issue for Rassie is that the SA pack did not do a number on Ireland and the bomb squad fell flat. Maybe they can up their intensity but Ireland can do that too, and counter more effectively. Ireland's discipline held tight while SA were definitely getting into card territory at some pints in that match. Add a functional lineout, and maybe taking points off the tee earlier in the match while going for the corner later on, and Ireland for me have more headroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I can’t process positive Awec. It doesn’t make sense to my brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It was interesting that we barely challenged their lineout, only two jumps from memory? I'd say POC and Farrell will be very happy at how well we defended the maul. Could stand us in good stead if we gave England in the semi.

I have utterly no understanding of that post. Zero.

Positive thinking, man. It got me where I am. You think living in a swamp hundreds of miles from anywhere happens on in its own?

• Advertisement

More of a Stoicism man myself.

Advertisement