Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampdown on TV 'Dodgy Boxes'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Then DNS via HTTPS is really going to cause problems for this simplistic approach.

The present "solution" seems to be based on detection of these servers and their IP addresses. That those protecting the services will always be playing catch-up and only those IPs detected can be blocked. Unless a general solution is found, dodgy boxes are likely to remain in use.

The reporting in the media on this isn't good because most technology journalists have no background in Technology and often, as was the case in the flurry of coverage a few weeks ago, only recycle press releases. DNS can be a complex issue even for people who do understand it.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭TokTik

Vodafone is my ISP and I’ve had no issues over the last 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭jj880

Im also on Vodafone with 1 of their gigabox routers. Nothing blocked so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Currently none of the Telecom providers know of a way of blocking these tv sticks and even if they discovered a way the dodgy tv stick makers will just find another way around it

That's one of the big problems in Conditional Access Systems. (The encryption systems that protect broadcasts.) The number of people attacking a system will always be larger than the number designing or defending it. That means that a system has to be designed to be resilient to hacking not immune. This means that a system has to be able to recover from a hack with minimal modifications.

It is essentially impossible to design a widely used system that would be immune to hacking. In reality, it is all a trade-off and though it is not spoken about in the company of technology journalists (I don't consider any of them to have much of a clue about piracy, hacking or the security of systems used to protect broadcasts), there is an acceptable level of piracy in any system.

In the past, it was Grey Market piracy where a smartcard or decoder for a subscription would be used outside the territory for which the broadcaster had rights. The Internet changed all that. The only extremely secure method of protecting a broadcast would be to have encryption straight to the brain. That's not currently feasible. That means that the only option available to the broadcasters is to target the operators of dodgy box networks rather than the users. Broadcasters are also limited by the legislation in various countries in that what might work in Germany, as mentioned above, may not work in Ireland.

Targeting individual dodgy box users can be counter-productive. It is better to try convert these users to subscribers. However, the poor implementation of broadcast rights means that this incompetence creates the necessary vacuum for piracy. This problem is decades old. Getting ISPs to block IP addresses is like a game of whack-a-mole because IP addresses can change. It does make for nice press releases.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Sorry but this is nonsense. A grounds keeper or an office cleaner does not accept lower wages to work in a football club if the pot of money available reduces. Office cleaners or caterers don't get paid higher or have more staff in Apple because they have huge profits than they would in a less profitable company. They are recruited on the basis of the amount of people required and paid a typical market rate, because otherwise they will work in another office in another industry instead. The one group it would impact are those at the top who can't transfer their skills for comparable wages in another industry - the players and managers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Previously the broadcasters put a watermark on the screen to help identify the subscriptions been pirated.

The pirates simply blurred out these watermarks to overcome this

Now a company is claiming it can

use single-frame forensic watermarking technology to protect digital content from pirate streams. The tech is unique as it protects every frame with an embedded watermark so precise that it can work with a screenshot or photograph.

As described this seems tricky to get around depending on what embedded means but I wouldn't put anything past the hacking community.

What do you think jmcc?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm not saying they will get lower wages, they'll get laid off.

If a clubs revenue is reduced they will look for ways to cut cost.

Let's say a club has 5 bars or 10 food stalls on the go at match day.

To cut costs they could reduce that to 3 and 7.

That will mean that x amount of people are no longer employed on a match day.

Lower rights revenue for the league = less money for clubs = less jobs at clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

So to cut costs they are going to take away a revenue stream i don't see that happening.

You don't have to take my post literally, it's was an example of how a team can cut costs.

If you want I'll say they reduce the catering staff by x, but still keep the same amount of outlets open, that a way of cutting costs.

Or they'll have less outlets open but expect to sell the same volume of goods.

They are just examples to counter the argument that IPTV piracy is a victimless crime.

It's not, and the victims are usually at the bottom of the ladder.

Broadcasters pay less for rights = teams have less money = less jobs at clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Hmmmm - I wonder could someone PM me a good provider. Just for research purposes of course, on the possible impact on PL TV rights.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

This really doesn't make sense - these clubs are awash with money. Getting rid of the lowest paid staff has a big impact on efficiency and almost zero impact on profits. Man city are not going to pay haaland a million a week and then have him clean up after himself.

They lower paid are the people they can actually afford to carry, the cooks and the cleaners are barely impacting the bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Again though that's fine. Tell Halaand and Sterling to take a pay cut before trying to make iptv users feel in anyway morally obligated to sign up for Sky.

Any of the PL clubs can easily afford to get rid of a crap player that isn't performing and that will pay for the entire support staff for a year.

Most of the stuff is contracted out like catering, cleaning etc so that argument makes no sense.

Why pick the super rich Man City as the example.

Try look at it from the eyes of Luton, Sheffield Utd, Burnley, Fullham.

A reduction in media revenue most certainly will have a knock on effect down the line for those level of clubs.

These proposed systems are interesting but they have to be backwards compatible with existing systems. That's where the problems arise. Despite all the talk about open standards, the reality is that the developers of Conditional Access systems tend to be wary about adding external protection systems and the company may be hoping for a trade sale (being taken over) by one the big players.

The original idea of putting the smartcard's ID on the screen for a time was intended to catch pubs using personal subscriptions either within the rights area or outside it. Adding a hidden digital watermark may work but it would depend on where in the signal it was added. If it was a few random pixels, it would be more difficult to remove but it could not use fixed position like other schemes. Some of the more naive companies in the field will often patent their systems and that could provide insights on how they generally, rather than specifically, work.

Identifying the subscriptions used is a short-term approach in that it may be easy to replace them. Targeting large networks of dodgy boxes would still be the most effective method. The more users a particular network in a dodgy box network has, the higher the risk of detection.

The broadcasters and the developers of the systems are all constrained by two things: the cost of a countermeasure and the technical difficulties of deploying that countermeasure. There are very few, if any, cheap and easy fixes.

Rolling out any fixes or software upgrades would also have to be done incrementally so as to keep the whole system stable. While the broadcasters might want to apply upgrades quickly, the reality is that the operators of the systems that protect those broadcasts have to be very conservative in order to keep the system operational.

Regards...jmcc

Most of the stuff is contracted out like catering, cleaning etc so that argument makes no sense.

Wow the basics of economics are not great with some on this thread.

So what. If it's contracted out.

The club ask for tenders to renew the contract, the company that has the contract says it will cost 100 units a year, another new company will say it will cost 90 units a year.

The 90 company can charge 90 because they have less staff.

The club, because they have less media revenue decide to go with the 90 company.

If clubs started to reduce spending on players the same people who love sticking it to Sky with their illegal IPTV services will be complaining that their club is losing players or unable to attract players because they are not paying them enough.

It will. And that's where they will have clauses in their big earners contractors. 5 percent a week off lads earning 50k a week will be their first port of call.

Toilets need to be cleaned and burgers need to be made.

Your argument isn't logical. Nobody is losing their jobs because I and many others aren't singing up for sky. There is no direct link between the number of IPTV illegal streams and Sky subscriber number.

You're wrong. Multiple posters have pointed this out to you. Your just being contrary for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Stewball

I would also like some information for research purposes.

When the rights auction come around the broadcasters say to the EPL that an estimated x million are using illegal streams.

As a result the broadcasters are no longer willing to pay the EPL for exclusive rights, because in reality they are no longer exclusive with all the piracy.

Thus the amount the broadcasters are willing to pay for the rights is reduced.

As a result the clubs get less money and have less money to run the club with, so costs will have to be cut, and jobs will be lost.

It will be interesting to see what approach the broadcasters want to take for the upcoming rights deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

"Identifying the subscriptions used is a short-term approach in that it may be easy to replace them"

Would it not be very expensive for the pirates to replenish all their subscriptions if this new technology could identify the compromised subs instantly?

The broadcaster would have to identify the dodgy box network first. While a watermarking scheme would help in identifying a subscription it would not detect the dodgy box network. And it would only work as long as nobody comes up with a countermeasure for the watermarking scheme. Without being able to deal with the problem of detecting dodgy box networks, such watermarking schemes are distractions rather than solutions.

Regards...jmcc

Exactly. Identifying what device to apply the watermark to is extremely difficult if not impossible and very expensive. It just can't be done to any effect.

The watermark would link the subscription/smartcard with the decrypted picture. The broadcaster would still have to identify the network of dodgy boxes that the subscription is feeding. That's the Catch 22 for the broadcasters.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

The Times in London did a fairly big piece on IPTV a few weeks ago.

The vast majority of these illegal servers now are in a few towns in northern Iraq!

Pretty mad stuff.

Multiple posters here telling me I'm wrong does not make me wrong.

I'm just pointing out the fundamental economic facts that if a business have less revenue then then will have to spend less or find revenue from elsewhere, and in this case those spending cuts will now be on the high value assets like the players but in the places and people that are easier to cut.

Oh and expect the ticket price to go up if the media revenue goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

A particular illegal IPTV service that I am aware of seems to be pretty sophisticated in that they have servers across the globe and even have their own mobile app!

I have noticed that the Sky feeds and some other UK based channels relayed by this provider seem to be carrying a watermark. But it's been like that for the past couple of years and so far they have never been taken down. As another poster has pointed out, they must have their severs based in countries like Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Greyfox

You are wrong. Clubs will try to get cleaners and catering staff for as cheap as possible either way. If they cut back on staff thats needed that's just **** management. Another economic fact is if you don't offer fair value for money you will lose customers, maybe sky should think about that.

So can you explain to me how all this will pan out if piracy becomes a big factor in the upcoming rights auction?

How will it affect broadcasters, clubs and the public?

And I don't want to hear what you want to happen, I want to hear what you think will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Those bloody Iraqis and their dodgy boxes, is there anything about another mass Father?

Advertisement