Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was it a man or a woman that murdered Raonaid Murray?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It wasn't a thread, it was a one-man stream of consciousness blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭richiestokes_79_79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s really not going to be solved is it… no new evidence to account for, no new witnesses, no changing stories.

better technology for sure in terms of examining DNA then there was then but…. You’d need to link DNA to a suspect and prove they were responsible though… say a hair or blood sample belonging to someone on Raonaid’s shirt can’t really be considered enough…

so unless a person or people who have info, get a conscience and get talking…. This will remain an unsolved crime.

even so ‘info’ at this stage may never be enough….it’s unlikely to get solved…

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭goodlad_ourvlad

I'd imagine from what's described in the thread and documentary, a lot of alibis are intertwined, so if one caves, everyone's story falls apart.

Here's hoping someone grows a backbone one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I think about this case sometimes. It’s just so eerie that she was still alive when the killer left and managed to crawl to her house. Really hope this case is solved one day and she gets justice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

No motive, no witnesses and not really DNA. Probably wont be solved.

Remember in the Annie Mccarrick case how a sighting at Johnny Fox's put the garda off. I wonder in this case was that alleged sighting of her arguing with a man on corrig/gleangeary rd really her? People might not remember but Dun Laoghaire on a weekend night in the 90's was buzzing and many younger people would be walking home from the pubs at this hour up the gleangeary rd.

Who ever stabbed her did not leave her for dead. She was still stumbling after the attack. Which would suggest it was a stranger rather than someone she knew. If you stabbed someone you knew and then ran away knowing you had not killed them you would know you will do time for it. Also a friend of hers told me that she walked with Raonoid a few weeks before she was killed to dun laoghaire and they walked the metals and not gleangeary rd. She believes this was her usual way of walking to and from DL. Also the fact that if she did walk the gleangeary rd she would have just turned on to silchester park and not go on to silchester rd and then through the cut on to silchester park as this would be longer and would also bring her up that dark lane. However if she walked the metals she would have had to gone up this lane.

The metals use to have kids hanging around it at night too back then and was known to be dangerous. Also back in the 90's alot of kids i remember carried knifes. Well in comparison to these days i believe. I wonder did she infact walk back through the metals and get followed by a stranger. They believe who ever stabbed her was not very strong. Her father was the principal of Pres glasstule near by. I wonder did a teenager who hung around the metals and know her from that do it. It does not appear the person struck again and had no or a weak motive to kill her in the first place which i think points to a teenager.

Interesting but Why would she walk The Metals route when Glenageary rd was quicker to DL centre? Also, it’s been said her favourite shortcut option for getting home was via Northumberland avenue onto Corrig rd and then onto glenageary rd. Buzzing in the 90s was it? You were there? Was it flatland around there - specifically Croswaithe Park? Or private ownership?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 OnTheCorner

I wonder how Richies non-existent documentary is getting on?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

In fairness, he'd a lot of info.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

https://www.thejournal.ie/renewed-appeal-murder-ofraonaid-murray-on-25th-anniversary-of-her-death-6478853-Sep2024/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Did she actually manage to crawl or stumble to her own door? I thought she collapsed and died at or near the spot where the attack took place and was discovered shortly afterwards by a relative or friend.

I don't know the statistics regarding perpetrators of knife crime but I would guess the number of females who carry knives for murderous intentions is very small indeed. I think a man killed Raoinaid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

She collapsed and died in a lane, apparently trying to crawl towards her home.

And the police always said, based on the post-mortem findings, that the knife used was probably similar to an ordinary kitchen knife; also that although there were about 30 blows, many of them did not even penetrate her clothing. Which may suggest a female, not very strong or used to fighting, and with an ad-hoc weapon from the house.

Tragically, at least 4 of the strikes DID cause wounds and the unfortunate victim died of blood loss caused by a knife stroke near her heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Caquas

25 years and still lots of stupid speculation around. And people here thank you!

Of course there was a motive. We just don't know it thanks to the keystone cop investigation. She wasn't stabbed 30 times by accident. Importantly, she was not sexually assaulted so that motive can be discounted.

And of course there were witnesses - they heard her cries in the laneway.

Annie McCarrick's tragedy is total red herring. Raonaid was never missing, there were no false sightings, their paths never crossed.

How many times would she have to be stabbed before you could believe she was left for dead? 50? 100? This was murder most foul.

There is no basis for your speculation that she was stabbed in the metals and staggered homeward. That simply ignores the neighbours who heard her cries to "get away". Or do you think her killer stabbed her in the Metals but followed her as she staggered homeward (Just in case she need help dying, like.) And only as Raonaid neared her home she at last decided to cry out "stay away" or "f*ck off"???

Your grand finale is a clincher, Sherlock. You think she was stabbed to death because her Dad was the local school principal? In Glenageary.

I rest my case, m'lud.

FFS

No known motive

No witness of the killer hence the name of this tread title

I never said she was stabbed in metals. Reread. I said if she had walked the metals she would have had to have gone up that laneway. But it does not make much sense why she went up that laneway if she had walked home by the Glenageary rd as the laneway would have been slightly longer and would have ment she had to walk through that dark laneway when she could go a quicker lit up way home from the Gleangeary rd.

People can get stabbed multiple times without dying. She was still standing after the attack so the killer did not know they had killed her for sure. From blood in the laneway they know she walked on from the attack site before collapsing to the ground just past the exit of the laneway onto her road.

Last point about Pres Glasstule?? If you're impliying her dad was the principal of a posh school he wasn't, not that has anything to do with the fact that a kid that goes to any time type of school can be deranged in the head. The evidence from stabbing points to be someone not very strong which makes a teenager more likely.

Post edited by ittakestwo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Caquas

You have completely re-written your original post.

“No motive” has become “no known motive”

“No witness” has become “no one knows if the killer is male or female”.

Your ramblings about the Metals are hard to decipher but you suggested her killer was one of the kids who were hanging around the Metals with knives and who just decided to follow her and stab her to death. Like no one before or since anywhere in Ireland.

Killers don’t have to wait around for an autopsy. If you kill someone by stabbing them 30 times, that’s murder. It’s no defence to say “She was still staggering around when I ran away”.

I merely repeated your suggestion that her murder could be connected to her Dad being principal of the local school. That’s ridiculous in Glenageary and it would be ridiculous anywhere in Ireland. Though not so much in a list of hell-hole countries I could mention if you want to waste time.

Her family say she took her normal route home through that laneway. Why waste our time speculating about alternative routes?

Anyway, none of this adds an iota to our knowledge of this case. It only creates red herrings (Annie McCarrick?) and confusion.

I think 99% of people would infer "no motive" as no known motive and "no witness" as no witness of the killer in action. The 1% who are nitpicking arseholes wouldn't tho

Yes i do think it is possible she was followed from the metals. I know her friend who have told me they walked that way with her to DL thst summer before she died.

Alot of weight was put into a sigthing af Annie McCarrick in Jonny Fox's at the time which now the gardai dont believe she left Sandmount.

I wonder was an alleged sighting of Ranoid arguing with a guy on glenageary rd actually her. Why would she walk down a dark lane if she had just been arguing with a man when she could walked a quicker lit up way home? Why did this person leave her standing after attack when she would have known them. Ie they would not have known they killed her for sure if she was still walking. You dont seem to get that. You seem t believe if a person stabs a person x amount of times then they have killed them for sure regardless if they're standing after it or not. That is not the way it works. She was standing and walking after attack. Killer left not knowing for sure if they had killed her which implies someone she did not know.

Why is it ridiculous to believe that a school aged teenager did this when they belive from the stabbings that the murder was not very strong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodcutting

Gemma says a documentary being made by someone she knows. Anyone knows about that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement