Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Agnes Wed 27 Sept 2023.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

I’m on the coast in Kinsale, should make for an interesting day tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The people of Cavan and Monaghan can count themselves lucky

Looking like it. This could be a storm with a few surprises I think. Just the nudge of the centre northwards, trees are in 90-95% leaf, ground is saturated.

We need to listen to updates and be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭feargantae

I'm in Galway at the minute. Was heading down to south Kerry to visit family tomorrow. Not a chance of that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

We could see red yet, an early morning red has happened once before and immediately shut schools. I'd say Met Eireann are very close to it now, watching Gerry on rte he seemed a lot more concerned than at 6pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭minibear

I'm really hoping we get a red in Waterford. Driving home from the school run the other day I was counting all the dead and dying ash trees right on the roadside. Dreading the school run now.😩

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I was just about to mention Gerry Murphy being on the news at nine, this is just what he said. It will be further north than they anticipated so stronger winds further inland. He also mentioned that trees could fall anywhere due to them being in full leaf

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Looking like todays oranges will be red on the 6 am RTE radio news report in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Status Orange - Wind warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Kerry, Tipperary, Waterford

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I fully expect to lose some trees tomorrow now, I have some fairly close to the house that are always a worry. Going to be a very scary few hours here in South Wicklow I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I think they are very very slow to issue red with the impact on work/schools etc. tough balancing act.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Just posting tweets, sorry if it's not allowed (remembering to replace the x in the link with twitter to make it unfurl)...

It's interesting to see a rapidly forming storm close to our shores. It's not rare, but doesn't happen that often either, so I find it fun to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

It always amazes me how limerick escapes the orange warnings well most of the time. I definitely think limerick will be upgraded by the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Agreed. The wind can shoot up the estuary at speed. Limerick was very badly affected by Darwin.

Already deeper at 6hrs on the Icon!! Let's see what next few frames do..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Is this not going abit quicker than usual it seems alot closer to Ireland than I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

This storm could surprise a lot tomorrow, with trees coming down with school runs. They should call red at 6 am for the south and east and more if needed. One life is way more important than work or school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Question

How come the system is way further North on the satellite than on windy?

Deeper and stronger by the Icon. I would think if the gfs follows a red will be a certainty for the South. Whether a red is called or not, this system is now looking very dangerous when you consider time of day, trees in full leaf etc. We are in a different place this evening than we were earlier

Also Icon has it moving through slower, what looked like a fast moving system yesterday is looking like being a full day event now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

They'd want to call red tonight so places can actually get organised. Leaving it last minute if they are is stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I unexpectedly have tomorrow off and was told Monday and honestly I initially said okay it’s going to be windy and I can avoid the rain but I might have lucked out it seems from what the experts here are saying. This might catch people out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I've been watching with interest from the sidelines the last few days and must say Agnes has the Hallmarks of Darwin written all over it. We all know how that turned out. I know Met Eireann have a hard job but i feel they were late with those Orange Warnings. The Track, wind direction and timing make this serious to say the least especially for Southern Counties that normally don't get the worst of these storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

What about trees coming down during the busy daytime hours.. and folk possibly getting stuck or not being able to collect their kids from rural settings come 1.30, 2pm, 3pm.. just thinking out loud. Power outages and kids needing collection during the worst of it.. Anyone else thinking similar after looking at the Arome for example? I do have concerns as we have kids spread out in various places during the day. One of which has special needs and finishes earlier and don't fancy being on backroads during such conditions if they verify. The system looks to have quite alot of energy to offload in the S/SE. Schools won't close unless a Red warning is issued. Same goes for work. Trees are in near full leaf and the ground is saturated after the torrential rain early this am. I feel this one is going to make more of an impact than we have felt in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

If a red was issued. People would still be complaining that schools are closed when they did not need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Because one is a forecast and the other is a real time satellite image?

Maybe that's why the forecasters here upped their warnings. The further north it is the more of the country is impacted by the storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’m in similar position. Have a boy with special needs that travels 12 km to school on a bus. Lots and lots of roadside trees. I think I will keep him home. Not as worried about the other boy that goes to school nearby.

Advertisement