Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Didn’t we have a 1 billion quid underspend by the housing department in terms of building new social housing etc?

They can’t spend that money building houses for Ireland but seem happy enough to green light an extra billion euro in spending to accommodate new arrivals…this could go on forever - the very simply economic concept of Opportunity cost appears to be lost on our government

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

Even if the will was there, at this pace of increase, how many housing units realistically need to be built?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Do we have the people to actually build the houses if we had the will?

The kids of Ireland are moving to Australia and Canada for a life.

If you were a skilled tradesman then why would you stay here living at home.

Imagine building houses for people who contribute nothing while you are at home because you can't source accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Heard another one of those retiring FG politicians on Pat Kenny this morning who thought it was the extremists that were failing to appreciate the "democracy" being served by our govmt. The old fool didn't realise it was also his extended family, friends and neighbours that are objecting to unchecked immigration and the housing crisis. Not a peep out of Pat either, 'atta boy Pat!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

She's just a clueless (or worse, dishonest) populist politician. Uncontrolled immigration is not an existential threat, but it is a symptom of West's decline. West used to be the one doing the invading, not the one being invaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I remember a few years back just as the big increases started to happen,I suggested illegal migration was invasion by stealth (big uproar)but it's nice to see someone bring up invasions,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Well If you what to compare yourself to a gormless UK politician, that's up to you.

Oh look,

Must be new excuses time 🤣🤣🤣

Not comparing myself to anyone maybe try spec savers 👓

But you're slapping yourself on the back for coming up with the same rhetorical bullshit - have the number of small boat crossings reduced since she first referred to it as an "invasion"?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

So Ireland is facing the consequences of conquering and oppressing other peoples around the world?

please do elaborate. Maybe needs a new thread as a bit off topic.

Another warped headline from the IT. The Irish public already told Minister Roderick to stop this Govmt's undemocratic immigration policy. So whom exactly is being "warned" that there's no beds?! 

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/09/26/ogorman-warns-on-bed-availability-as-thousands-of-extra-refugees-expected-to-arrive/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Cordell

No, that's not what I've said. My point was that the West, meaning both countries which conquered and colonized, and countries who haven't, is losing its strength and its capability and its will to defend itself and this is what lead to losing control over its borders. Uncontrolled migration is not a cause, its a symptom.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, the main reason Britain became multicultural in the 1960s and 1970s was directly as a result of its imperial / colonial past. What does Braverman think the Commonwealth is and how does she imagine it came about? (Answer: by brutally invading and oppressing all those countries).

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

Meloni and braverman are using the same language.

It's not an invasion in a military sense. The British and Italians have no problem dropping bombs and bullets on Russian invasion forces.

They are simply people looking for a better life. They wouldn't endanger the migrants lives.

Will they change our societies though? You bet. There's already a defacto anti blasphemy law on mainland Europe were you will face deadly consequences if you don't respect their prophet.

Imagine my surprise that this continues to be an issue for O'Gorman. He found accommodation for the lot in the summer and now he is soon going to be scrambling for the next lot. The reality is the more you welcome the more will come.

Irish people unfortunately are giving tactic approval to this insanity by voting mainstream parties such as sinn Fein, FF, Greens, FG and labour.

I get why people don't want to vote IFP. What meager assets I have are in Euro. However this is going past the point of tolerance. The bigger countries could even call time on this project because of the absolute uncontrolled immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

She really is scum that Braverman one. The language of "invasion" is only usually used by right wing folk and their sympatisers, who take it on themselves to spread disinformation.

Good article here, people aren't falling for those Tory tactics.

"But years after the referendum, we are moving to a political era where migration is no longer of particular concern to the British people. In 2013, the British Social Attitudes survey suggested 77% of Brits wanted immigration reduced “a lot”. By 2019 this was down to 19%, and more recent surveys suggest that most believe immigration has a positive impact on the nation. By 2022, inflation/prices (54%), the economy (34%) and climate change (23%) all far outstripped immigration (11%) in the British public’s political priorities.

With this in mind, Braverman’s rhetoric of invasion could be an attempt to reignite debates about the border, to deflect from some of the economic problems that her party has struggled to address. Following the Tories’ disastrous flirtation with Trussonomics, claims about the threat of migration are a convenient smokescreen. They suggest the nation’s current travails are caused by “illegals” who take British jobs and homes."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

This is another one of those weird takes I've seen on here. I don't see any country in the West "losing its strength and capability to defend itself". That's nothing more than tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

Just had this pop up on my feed and while i've heard of Simon Coveney mention this is, It's nearly never played. Immigration is good(Skilled) but not unskilled labour that is being imported from outside the EU to keep wages cheap. We're told only of the benefits of freedom of movement is people moving around for jobs. There's about 446 million EU citizens, and yet they want to grant visa waivers to people outside the EU because of a "Labour shortage?".

Importing more unskilled labour works against the working class and prevents businesses from raising wages. I don't understand why some left parties are all for total immigration, Don't they see that also works against their voters interests?

Post edited by Scipri0 on

• Advertisement

No evidence that unskilled working class Irish people are being kept out of jobs by migrant workers. The country is literally at full employment - anyone who wants a job can get one. Frequently, companies hire migrants as locals simply don't want to do the work and are not prepared to fill the vacancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

Large scale immigration can make certain jobs unviable for Irish people. For example, refuse collection is almost exclusively performed by non-Irish now. It's not a job that offers an Irish person a chance to own a house and so on. It's not that Irish don't want to do it so much as it makes no real sense to do it. The availability of a huge pool of workers allows employers to keep workers terms and conditions down. It's why the parties of the left were traditionally against mass immigration. While there is full employment, many of these jobs don't offer anything above a meagre existence. Which might be attractive to someone from a much poorer country who might have the intention of returning home at some point. But most Irish people don't see a future in these jobs.

These arguments were used by the Brexiteers to justify Brexit. They claimed EU citizens were responsible for driving down wages for the poor, keeping working class people out of jobs etc. Now that they have succeeded in keeping new EU workers out of the country, there doesn't seem to have been even the slightest improvement for the working class (beware of shysters making false promises).

We all know that large enterprise made loadsa $$$$ from immigration (cheap labour). Govmts received loadsa $$$$ to enable it (NGO's normalising the "immigrant farming"). 

What's always been less clear is the benefits for citizens. We were blasted with the "diversity dividend" but that only resulted in a "so what" response from the public. That was followed by the inscrutable "moral obligation" that demands we allow unchecked migration from peaceful lands. Most recently FFG are increasingly weaving in climate crisis bs to get the anxious kids on board, LOL!

But that's all irrelevant now as we've reached the Shut-the-f***-up-you-dumb-Racists phase. FFG have instructed us that we need to accelerate the infrastructure build-out so we can bring in more immigrants and faster. No further explanations will be necessary. 

There you go, democracy in Modern Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

"Locals simply don't want to do the work"

No - "Locals" don't want to do the work for minimum wage and awful conditions.

Do you have evidence of this at all?

When did "The Irish public tell Minister Roderick to stop this Govmt's undemocratic immigration policy."?

Immigrants / refugees are not responsible for either the minimum wage or awful working conditions : not sure why this would be discussed in an immigration thread. These are solely matters for the Irish government and employers.

Of course they are related, I think you know that though. Less people willing to do a job forces the employer to improve the conditions. Import labour with lower expectations and you can keep your conditions and minimum wage.

I will ask again - do you have any evidence suggesting Irish people don't want to do certain jobs? Irish people as a collective that is, "the locals" as you call them.

The government could set the minimum wage at €20 an hour if they wanted : employers could pay them more. Saying that immigrants are the cause of low wages or poor working conditions is misleading. According to this narrative, low paid immigrants are running the country, not the government or employers.

• Advertisement

"Saying that immigrants are the cause of low wages or poor working conditions is misleading"

Please quote where I said that.

"The government could set the minimum wage at €20 an hour if they wanted" - they cant, the minimum wage is based off this concept called reality. There is commissions, debates etc.

More workers = more competition for less jobs = less need for employers to raise wages or improve conditions - Its very basic economics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement