Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price gouging by the pub, restaurant & hotel industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Do people really just pick somewhere and not take any notice of the prices?

In my case theres one restaurant that we have always used for the likes of communions, confirmations, meals out for anniversaries etc. for the last probably 15 years.

Used to be fairly reasonable as in meal for 6 with starters,deserts, couple of drinks would be €100 - 150 or so. Last time we went in the prices had risen by almost 40% - over €200 euros plus for the same as we had gotten 6-9 months previously so its not a case of just picking somewhere- its a case of places that people used regulary gouging the fook out of people.I used to get a steak for 22 euros - now its €40.00

Burgers used to be around 8-9 euros now the cheapest is €15.00 , starters were always around 7 euros now the same starter is €12.00, battered cod and chips was €12 now its €20.00

So this restaurant through their price gouging will loose this year alone - My wifes 50th celebration dinner, my two daughters birthday celebration , my oldest daughter is moving abroad and we were going to book a table for that - they`ll lose upwards of €600.00 euros.

Im voting with my feet. Decided to book a week in Lanzarote which cost me €1100 euros - would have spent over half that on those 3 nights out alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

This.

Plenty of people dont bat an eyelid at 20 euro for a burger and fries.

lots of people have large budgets and fair play to them.

• Advertisement

It's the standard nasty Irish begrudgery attitude; to try and take down people who are doing - or who are at least trying to do - well for themselves.

Far easier to do that than to actually work harder and make more money to deal with any cost of living issues.

Yes, I agree.

There are so many opportunities for people in Ireland. Work harder, work smarter and stay above the waterline.

I know its easier said than done, but if you take that as an attitude rather than "woe is me", you've a better chance of rising above the storm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭enricoh

Very few places to eat where I am Mondays and Tuesdays now. No staff so shut those days. Even bank holidays places close now as not worth their while paying extra wages.

I think some posters have their head in the sand to the tsunami of extra costs since COVID. With petrol heading back towards E2 and interest rates sky high for punters I wouldn't fancy heading into this winter as a restaurant owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭nachouser

6 people eating out, granted some might be kids, with a few drinks for 200 quid. Yeah. Seems about 30 a head. shrugs

Not gouging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭893bet

I think I have said it before. I will say it again. It’s not even the cost that’s the issue…..it’s the terrible sevice and sometimes substandard ingredients.

A 25 euro burger…..if the service is good, and the food is good…..is far cheaper in my eyes than a 14 euro burger with cheap frozen chips and a bit of side salad that was fresh a day ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭893bet

That’s the problem. Just to stay above tThe waterline and stay still you have to work smarter and harder. That can’t be maintained by everyone.

No idea what the alternative is but I think a tipping point will be reached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Exactly what I was getting at earlier.

It's not about price. It's just reverse snobbery.

• Likely due to VAT increases. The sandwich net them about €20 after that alone, not to include the food cost, staff etc etc.

and if it’s in blackrock rent and rates will be wonderfully high.

No.

It's about a mediocre, every day, product pretentiously presented so the price can be jacked up.

"reverse snobbery"

🤣

FFS.

For those that can understand, no explanation necessary, for those that cannot, no explanation possible.

If you think that the only factors at play are pretentious presentation and profiteering, whilst ignoring the inflation in costs which must be evident to you in just about every facet of your daily existence, then no explanation can be given which penetrates that thought process. The effect all the other price rises you must experience, if they effect you in the same way as beer and food prices seem to, must be infuriating constantly.

Oh just stop. 🙄

Your empty excuses and snide sensibilities are just nauseating at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Greyfox

What a load of nonsense, your ignoring what this thread is about. If a customer has extra money price gouging is still wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Rmgblue

I was in the Olympia last week. Asked for 2 glasses of Prosecco. Bar man rooted around in the bottom of the fridge. Found an already opened bottle and went to pour from it. Before he did he turned to me and said that’s €15. For two? says I. No, one, says he

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Not sure if you were replying to my post. 4 adults, 2 kids - exact same meal 6-9 months ago €120 - €150 depending if I was driving and having more than one pint - now €200 plus - actually just checked my bank statement and last time I went it was €245 almost the exact same meal as the last time we ate there for a confirmation in May and that bill was €159 - It is gouging.

Its not about the €200 euros its about the increase over what it used to be. Its 40% increase - last time I checked inflation was running at about 12% for food based services. Its gouging and this restaurant has lost my future business now. No problem paying an increase in line with inflation but when that increase is multiples of the current inflation rate then its time to spend elsewhere.

Dominos pizza is 20 euro.

20 euro isnt expensive anymore for food in a bar.

• Advertisement

whereabouts is thst place, if I can ask?

Agree that it is an increase out of kilter with inflation.

That’s interesting, where did you get the 12% figure, is it the CSO site? It doesn’t really give a breakdown nationally on why costs/prices are higher in higher cost urban areas than elsewhere. I have seen articles saying food wholesale inflation can range up to 18% (food and veg) but that would not reflect the accumulated costs involved in the service.

Also, I’ve got to ask, why did you go, or indeed stay there if you weren’t happy with the price?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Would you think those higher end tour companies and five star hotels should be given tax breaks though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭downtheroad

People said that last winter. The restaurant association of Ireland said we'd see loads of businesses close. It didn't happen, and prices continued to increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭fliball123

Its coming this winter with the tax bill coming for the taxes that were parked during covid a lot of businesses will not be able to pay them

Iirc our hospitality rate at 13.5% is the third highest in Europe? 9% which it was reduced to is probably the average in Europe.

Our normal vat rate of 23% is 3% more than the UK. It all adds up and makes us dearer.

There is a coal buying from the north thread. Artic loads are coming down here every day as the north has miles lower carbon levy.

We are a dear country to do business in n that is due to government taxes, Levy's, inaction on compo payouts etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

How much does a price of Guinness zero compare with regular Guinness in pubs roughly? Or other non alcohol beers?

(I'm uk based so not up to speed on prices)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭fliball123

The issue is when the rate dropped it wasnt passed on so no whinging now when it has gone back up to what it was the idea was for it to be passed on.

I think disposable income is getting a hammering from increased mortgage rates, E2 petrol on the way, shopping trolley inflation. Last winter was fairly mild n people out n about more.

ESB prices are dropping which should help keep lights on in places. A lot of tourist towns had a bad summer and there'll be a lot of casualties. Dublin will still be hopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Yes, Id imagine our room rates, menu prices and other services are vastly more expensive for the most part vs the 4.5% difference in the VAT rate though.

I worked in the hotel industry when they brought in the first round of vat reduction - back when 8.65 was minimum wage.

No additional hours for staff, still worked to the bone and never had enough staff to do what was required.

Menu prices stayed the same.

And of course nobody got a few cents extra on the hour.

Customers saw no benefit, staff saw no benefit, the balance sheet did though and the owners got a nice profit off the back of tax payers. I'd imagine the same is playing out again, maybe even on a bigger scale.

I don't think hospitality should be treated any differently to any other business at all generally, maybe in niche cases like B&Bs of a certain size or maybe as a mechanism to encourage new business opening i.e here's a reduced rate for your first year.

Advertisement