Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampdown on TV 'Dodgy Boxes'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭TokTik

They’re making hundreds of millions a year. Take Southampton for example. They’re gone from the PL this season. If they don’t go straight back up, they’ll get about £50m in solidarity payment. Same following season? They’ll get about £33m Third season? £20m.

Players are only worth what people will pay for them. Clubs won’t pay over £100m for a player, they’ll be sold for less or go on a free at the end of contract and club will get nothing.

If they have to sack cleaners etc, the club is being run as a basket case and they’ll probably lose their jobs no matter what when the club goes pop, like Leeds/Rangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Though taking Iraq for instance. I would have thought Iraq would be out of range for receiving all of Sky's UK satellite signals.

All of Sky’s newest offerings are online based.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What harm football has eaten itself. About time the bubble burst a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Theirs absolutely nothing to worry about, sky will still be able to bid more than the others. If someone else gets more matches they will still want to cater to the hungry customer base who can't live without football. The clubs and the public will be ok, they just have to make some adjustments. Sure theirs too much money in football these days anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Indeed. That was why there was a campaign for clubs to pay at least the living wage to staff a couple of years ago.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

As far as I am aware, the only legitimate online carrier for Sky's UK channels is Sky Go. Is there anyone else carrying Sky's channels legally over the internet? Forgive me if there are many others but that's the only one I am aware of. I know alternatives like Virgin media carry Sky content but I wasn't aware they were also streaming Sky channels over the internet as well. The reason I say this is because the illegal IPTV service that I have seen doesn't appear like it's getting it's feeds from Sky Go.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I don't find my dodgy at all

It works perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭batistuta9

He's not totally wrong, the less money the clubs have the less staff they employ. Happens all the time across all divisions when teams are relegated.

From the athletic https://archive.ph/dUpzK

But they aren’t the only people who will be impacted by relegation. Every club employs hundreds, sometimes thousands of full and part-time staff behind the scenes. Ticket office staff. Security people. Waiting staff. Stewards. Marketing and advertising. Media relations. Shop assistants. Receptionists. Administrators.

All of those people will be nervously watching their club’s games, knowing that for them, relegation could cost them their jobs, and there isn’t a damn thing they can do about it

Aston Villa are the big case study from recent years.

When they got relegated in 2015-16, it was not pretty. In the aftermath of relegation, around 130 full-time and 400 part-time staff lost their jobs. Former chairman Steve Hollis told the 1874 podcast a couple of years ago he had to gather staff in the Holte End to lay out what was going to happen: at first, you think that seems like an overly dramatic setting to tell people they might lose their jobs, but then you realise they had to sit there because it was the only place big enough to hold the number of staff Villa actually had

Your partially right too it is **** management, practically all football clubs are geared towards the playing budget & nothing else really matters. PL clubs not paying the living wage when sharing 3 billion a season. Man United with one of the highest revenues in football leaving their fans sitting under a leaking roof

Some of the illegal providers add their own watermark

• Advertisement

A lot of UK reseller recommend using a VPN now for football especially. They reckon the isps are monitoring traffic on their side & throttling it. And passing this info on to sky + pl to go after the source servers. The both of them well aware of piracy, don't agree that neither want to admit how bad it is. all the takedowns are from alliances from the rights holders or broadcasters.

Sky being a broadcaster + ISP quite handy here, all in t&c's about passing info to third parties for illegal content etc .

Some folks have the money to pay for Sky and multiple legal IPTV subscriptions and that's fine, some folks don't. I think it's human nature to go for it if you have basic technical knowledge and you can get something and more of it at a reduced cost. Is it funding hardcore criminals? Do you know for sure? You are being told that but the thing is you don't really know. All you do know is that these providers can offer a much wider variety of content than Sky et al at a much more competitive rate. As much as there maybe criminals behind illegal IPTV, there's a huge media conglomerate behind Sky and they are not giving value for money IMO.

bragging rights or to see if anyone is stealing off them 😂. Though if it's just a white box in the corner it's from now TV

They all have their own apps now, just rebranded for their service.

Have you ever seen a watermark consisting of a small blue circle, usually top right hand of screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Now TV.

Sky own offering is being used by IPTV providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's exactly what I am talking about.

If the money from TV is reduced lots of people will lose their jobs in EPL teams.

It's exactly the same as a down turn in any industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

But some people still want to watch paid content for free god damnit!

But where do you think the hundreds of millions is coming from?

Obviously a few clubs are owned by oil money, but the majority for the others comes from TV rights, which is the golden goose of the premier league.

If piracy kills that golden goose then the clubs no longer have those hundreds of millions.

• Advertisement

They sell the rights worldwide. If I didn’t have a firestick I wouldn’t have sky. They’re losing nothing by me watching.

They need to cut their cloth accordingly. If they haven’t that’s a them problem, not a me problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

feel free to pass on your free sources? thanks

...oh theyre losing from us watching alright, but since they dont give a fcuk about us, dont give a fcuk back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭jj880

Not sure how many there are like me but I can say for a fact if I didnt have an IPTV sub I wouldnt have any kind of Sky or Now TV package anyway.

Id have what I have now without IPTV: Netflix, Disney+ and watch Match Of The Day.

Some of the stuff I watch out of pure curiosity. E.g. Jake Paul and Tommy Fury dancing about like 2 clowns in a boxing ring.

Never would I pay for such a farce outside of IPTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭shmeee

I often see a green and black watermark in top left corner on majority of channels, RTE even. It's been the same for as long as I can remember so the source video/provider hasn't changed and is still going strong.

All the mobile apps are the same app just with a different skin/theme over it. Standard XCPlayer or Smarters IPTV app easily available and just modified a bit is all to receive the channels.

They sell the rights worldwide

Who are they ? It must be the EPL you are talking about because they are the ones who sell the rights.

If I didn’t have a firestick I wouldn’t have sky. They’re losing nothing by me watching.

Who are they ? It must be Sky or another broadcaster because they are the ones who broadcaster the games.

They need to cut their cloth accordingly

Who are they ?

Who is your beef with Sky or the EPL ?

If it's with both and you want to see changes then forget about the premier league as you have known about it for decades.

Forget about the multiple games a week, the big money signings, the European success for English clubs etc.

Because if you want cheaper access to soccer be that on TV or online then the EPL are going to have to charge less for their rights, and less money for rights means less games on TV and less money for the clubs.

Not necessarily, depends on how they market and package it.

I'd say a season pass just for the team you support, like they offer in the US and other countries, would be very popular. That's a product they don't offer at the minute.

They could offer a golf only package, NFL, PL only. Jaysus, when I think about it, there's loads of options and choice they could offer customers.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

nice plan, probably too late though, many are well happy with their current choices, they generally offer much more anyway.....

Yeah, but even on this thread there'd be a market for it.

I was trying to think of a service that offers that and funnily enough, for all the problems and giving out about GAAGO, €89 for the early bird season pass is serious value for money. League & Championship games in both hurling and football. They also show games that RTE or even Sky with the old deal would never show.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Sky sports do that in the UK, but no here.

In UK you can buy say a Golf subscription. This gets you sky Sports Golf and Main Event. Same with NFL when its on, you get the channel you subscribe too plus main event as far as i know.

Pretty sure its £10 per month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Advertisement