Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

People in the right hand lane don’t realise they need to yield to people in the left hand lane on the N28 merge. So when they do realise, they try to shove into the N40 lane

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

The merging is done by some where the 2 roads first meet, by others halfway down beside the hotel and by others nearer to the Douglas flyover.

If the merging was done properly and at the correct point from a single lane we wouldn't see tailbacks this large.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

As has been said so many times, the Douglas flyover is a serious pinch point.

The slip from the N28, Jct.9, needs to continue as a lane through to the on slip at Jct.8. Some ANPR recordings might prove that a significant amount of the traffic from the N28 exits at Jct.6 therefore the extra lane between those two junctions would alleviate the merging and volume passing over the existing two lanes of the Douglas flyover.

Building a third westbound lane, from the end of the existing merging lane of Jct/9 to Jct 8 shouldn't be overly expensive or disruptive if it were to be built using stilts and a prefabricated deck instead of widening the existing earthen embankment which carries the existing two lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It is poor design to have the right lane have to merge to its blindside, together with the short distance merging arrows are on the road (more than likely invisible in heavy traffic) only adds to the potential for confusion.

The inconsistancy of some locations requiring the left lane to merge to the right (as when joining a main road from a slip road) and other locations requiring the right lane to merge to the left (as here) doesn't help either.

Introducing mandatory zip merging would help avoid confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wexcap

hi does any one know the range of the go safe vans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Merging lanes on bends are also a problem (N28 and Mahon junctions) as you get an optical illusion that the lane is about to end. I don't think they go for curved merging lanes on modern roads, but the N40 predates any of it.

Overtaking lanes should ALWAYS merge back at their end into the primary lane. Unfortunately, there seems to be no official policy on this, or if there is it's either not widely known among those responsible for setting out road marking or they simply ignore it. It is not uncommon to see a mixture of primary lanes merging to the right (into the overtaking lane) and overtaking lanes merging to the left (into the primary lane) on the same road.

Merging lanes, from another road, should always merge to the right, following the give Right of Way rule. As said merging from to the left (into a potential blind spot) is a recipe for collisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I see as expected that traffic is backing up worse than ever in the mornings from the Douglas Flyover. Queues have simply moved on the next junction given Dunkettle throughput has increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

This. I see it all the time. People look in their side mirror which are obviously angled back from the N28 slip - and which creates a massive blind spot for the N40W lane then and hence accident after accident at the back of the RPH. Meanwhile, the speed checks that everyone gets caught at are at the diverge to the N40E where, to be knowledge, there are never accidents.

At one stage, they did have bollards to force the N28 merge to N40W much further down but they got taken back up. Said it too before, but I distinctly recall an article saying the Douglas flyover had footings put down for a lane 3 when they built the new Tesco carpark and created the link road within Douglas.

At the moment Link K is a disaster at peak times, I realise it's still a work in progress but I'm jealous of M8 users who no longer face any delays going south anymore (unless Bloomfield has an issue).

Will link K have 3 lanes close to the tunnel entrance? If so it will be interesting to see how they plan on merging all 3 into the tunnel. All 3 into 1 lane ( the left hand lane of tunnel south) I assume?

From today's newsletter it looks like they will be surfacing a 3rd lane on the right hand side of Link K over the coming weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Risoc

Ya, If i have that right, it would make the queue look shorter but make the journey slower with the amount of extra merging. Correct?

Agreed, I can't see how there won't be huge tailbacks during peak times with 3 merging into 1 but the road designers know more than I do so hopefully it will work somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

There will always be queues at peak times - the only solution to that that actually works is to give people a better option than driving. The goal of this interchange isn't to remove the queues: it's to prevent heavy traffic in one direction from blocking traffic that's going all other directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Glanmirelad

The typical range of a mobile speed camera van is around 1-2 miles on a straight stretch of road. As you might expect, they can't see through or around bends. Once you notice it ahead you can be sure your caught. They can also work at night using a infra-red flash , which you wont see .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

In fairness that sign for the M8 doesn't help much, it can give the impression that you can access the M8 from either lane, and you've only got about 70-80 mtrs to the turn-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thats on the sign before the tunnel, I referred to it in a previous post thinking it could happen. I assume many people have missed the turn off due to it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭chooseusername

The sign I posted above is after the tunnel heading north towards M8, N25 from Dronehawk's video from yesterday;

That sign is ridiculous and plain dangerous. If you had a crash, could you sue TII for demonstrably incorrect signage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

That sign for the M8 should be offset like below (UK I know). And why does the arrow have to point downwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Is there any particular reason why the signage for the exit to the left is to the side but the exit to the right is on top?

• Advertisement

In the interest of consistency, the sign for the M8 exit should be on the right of the N25 sign just like the sign for the N8 is on its left, not across the top. As said, it can cause some, who might not understand the signs properly, to think both lanes lead to the M8.

WTF is the driver of the black car that's next to the red van trying to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wexcap

I dought its that far on the range of the camera going by what's being said on here that it's less the 60m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭cantalach

A downward pointing arrow makes more sense to my brain because you're passing under the sign, not over it. It's standard practice on overhead signs in this country:

As well as France, Spain, and lots of other places:

Curiously though, the Germans and the Americans seem to do it the same way as the British.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

So the M50 can have City Centre with other signs saying other cities, but the N40 is unique so can't..

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Leatra

He's in the left lane as he comes into shot and makes no attempt to merge as the lane ends. He's very lucky there was no one coming from the N25 while he was sliding over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Link K N25 to N40 is going to be continuosly backed up at peak times with multiple lanes being funnelled into one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

All looking a bit grim this morning.

Douglas Flyover is the weak point. I’m flabbergasted that people didn’t think this would be the case.

The M8 South to City movement is a complete non story in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Once again the Douglas Flyover West bound is the issue once again this morning.

Why oh why can't we have joined up thinking and future planning in this country?

The result here is, relocated traffic delays

Advertisement