Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creches closing for 3 days from today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭CPTM

There are ratios and caps on how many kids a worker can look after. For example I pay 1100 for my 1 year old and the worker looking after her can only look after 2 other kids. So that worker brings in say 3k a month, 36k a year. From that 36k, the creche needs to pay the worker, insurance for the 3 kids, 2 or 3 meals, art supplies as well as things like a share in the energy bills.

The ratios are bigger as the kids get older, but the price comes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

You are right on the ratios and that it is more expensive to look after small babies. In my experience the price doesnt go down though when they get older - if you are paying €1100 for a 6 month old you are still charged the same ( or more) when they are 3 years old.

Also when my kids were under 1 year I had to pay for a full weeks fees whether I needed a full week service or not - fair enough I can understand why this is. When they reached over a year old I could go down to a 4, 3 or 2 day week - the cost of this though was not pro rata ie fees for 3 days were not 3/5 of original fee it was more like 4/5 of original fee for 3 days so creche was gaining even though the place was filled with another child for the other 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

There is always the option for 1 parent to not work, and mind the children? Save on that 2nd mortgage.

And I'm speaking as a parent with a child in creche, and we are deciding what to do next year for our 2nd.

You are very lucky to be able to afford to live on one wage. Unfortunately this is not an option for everyone Im afraid. Alot of couples need two incomes just to survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

I could never afford to have children.

so I didn’t. Doing my bit for the planet and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

A lot of people look to reduce hours as there is no point working to just pay for childcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I would have said there “might” be an option….not “always” …but why should a good parent not have the chance to make money at home minding other children as long as certain protocols are in place? To me it makes total sense- if you can mind one you can probably mind 2-3.

Government underwriting insurance as long as certain protocols (, premises specifications etc in place) might be a way to ease the burden of that aspect - Shirley there are figures out there around accidents etc - and also defined pay outs when something not too serious does happen - not this extortionate bill that just profits lawyers.

I know of someone taking in about 5 kids to her house every day- no idea does she pay tax etc - she’s a good mother (kids all grown now) and has had the same kids for a few years so she’s obviously doing a number of things right.

I wouldn’t like to see unregulated minding take over but with certain basic protocols such as Garda vetting and certain standards in the home maintained that parents can see for themselves are in place, allowing say a stay at home parent to mind 1-3 additional children tax free if their home was suitable may well be the answer here- and that means you could leave work for a few years, have a small income to keep things going.

Creativity is what will sort this issue temporarily- we’re too caught up with regulation insurance tax etc when there are quick wins that would benefit everybody

Joint tax assessment, shared tax bands, home carer tax credit and no creche fees all adds up substantially. I'd say a lot of couples don't do the maths and work out that 1 parent is going to work 40 hours per week for very little net pay.

People can earn up to €15k a year tax free from minding children in their home.

• Advertisement

Exactly, you need to look at the lower earner, after tax, creche and work costs (parking, travel etc) are taken into account and see what the net amount per hour is. It might shock a lot of people. My wife worked long shifts on weekends when the kids were younger, I minded the kids on the weekend. Worked out better financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,918 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Totally disagree with the third point: the research is clear that high quality earlyly-childhood education is no worse for children than being at home with a parent. But someone with no more than a level 5 cert in arse-wiping is not guaranteed to have the knowledge and skill to provide high-quality education and care to a range of children.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I Didn’t know that - that would pay a lot of bills if one parent stayed off work to mind their own I’m the first place and maybe one or two others - it’s good that “something” is in place- if you’re going to be off work anyway for a few years then absolutely let’s get you some money- all of that money goes straight back into the economy anyway given it’s so small

A big part of the problem in the industry is the fact it's so hard to get staff. The rent in south Dublin is so high that many creche workers are unable to rent nearby. They commute for 1.5 hours each way for terrible rates. Our own creche has had to close some weeks because there is physically no staff that want to work there because the rent is too high.

I'd love to see a tax band for critical workers earning under a certain amount who are working in high rent areas. The creche workers in particular, in my opinion, shouldn't be paying any tax at all. The government tax intake wouldn't even notice it. But on the ground it would give the workers an extra 250-300 euro a month (assuming they're on about 26k a year which is the case in my local creche here).

I would have liked nothing more to stay at home minding the kids. Im an accountant myself so understand the maths only too well. For us we were just over €1K better off my both of us working as opposed to one of us working. We simply needed that €1k every month - things would be very tight if one of us didnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

The government should offer free childcare to families with 2 working parents, and not a couple of hours a day - the entire day. They are paying enough tax, so it's not free. If one parent stops working to mind their children, the government would lose out on the income tax, PRSI, and USC - that's not including the indirect tax take which would inevitably decrease as they tighten their belts. To make it fairer and less of a cost, a family that avails of free childcare shouldn't get the children's allowance, and they should pay for the childcare but get rebated with tax credits so the system is not being abused.

You will have the usual retorts from people who don't have kids complaining that they shouldn't have to fund childcare, but the reality is that we fund a great many things we don't agree with. If both parents are busting their asses to work and contribute to the economy, they shouldn't be penalised. We need more kids in this country otherwise we will all be goosed when we retire. People may not have kids or want to have kids, but we need them for the future stability of this country.

Side note: I have 2 kids, both in school now so this would be of zero benefit to me, but I went through the creche stage and I completely understand the issue.

I think you are actually agreeing with me that qualifications in childcare are nonsense

You should question that with your creche - the costs of our older child went down by about 500 euro per month by the time she got to the oldest classroom (pre-schoolers).. And as far as I know that would be normal..

Although, with the demand for creches being so high, they probably can maintain the fee as you said. Because if your creche is anything like ours, there is a queue of parents down the street looking for a creche if you decide to leave it.

It really depends on the earnings of the parents. Someone on €40k is only paying €5587 in deductions. This covers the health service, education, unemployment insurance, contributions towards state pension etc. It really doesn't go very far, certainly nowhere near far enough to pay for fully funded childcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭irelandrover

When did you see your wife if you worked during the week and she worked weekends?

Dropping out of the workforce for a few years definitely affects your earning potential.

• Advertisement

Thankfully my last child finished creche last year so I dont have this problem anymore. The cost reduced when the child reaches ecce age - but ecce only covers 38 weeks of the year not the full year.

In your original post you said the cost reduces when they leave baby room which is high ratio of child to staff - for me it didnt at all. A baby was the same fee as a 2 or 3 year old.

She dropped down to ~20hrs a week as a nurse, worked a long shift on one day on the weekend (13 hrs) and a short one another day during the week. So, still plenty of time to see her. When do your kids see their parents when they are in creche all day (especially when young and going to bed early)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I was asking a question as I was curious. It seemed like you worked the weeks and she worked weekends.

I'm pretty lucky actually. I work 4 days a week and so does my wife. So we have weekends as a family. I get a full day with the kids and so does my wife. I start early every day and pick the kids up at 4pm. my wife drops them to daycare/school so gets the morning with them.

Means the kids are in daycare for 3 days a week and even then they are short days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I never said it would fully fund the cost. You could have someone on €65k and that would come closer. Perhaps their partner is on €85k - that's a lot of tax paid by 1 family. Then deduct the children's allowance and it makes it far closer to the cost.

It's also worth looking at the longer term. Say a parent earning €40k stays home - let's say for 6 years. They decide to re-enter the workplace when the kids are at school. If they stayed at work and let's say their income increased by 5% every year through moving jobs or pay raises - they would be on around €53 - €54k after 6 years.

Of course, the job might not be available because the position needs to be filled, and there are plenty of migrants who would fill it, and the position needs to be filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Pat201

I see the issue as a 2 Fold problem.

Firstly there is not enough Creches out there to cater for the demand that is there. Also the Creches cannot get people as it is much more beneficial to mind kids at your home unregulated. As i mentioned you could make 62K just by minding 3 Kids for 8 hours a day. No Creche is going to pay that kind of wage.

Second problem is that Minding kids at home is now turning into a business as it is known fact that people cannot get Creches to mind their Kids. While this can be a nice addition to industry it needs to be regulated as a Childminder that just request Minimum wage (11:30) for minding a kid for 8 Hrs a day can pull in 1808 euro after 4 week (Gross) . There is no creche charging that kind of money at moment I believe and at least in creche it is regulated business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

I'm not familiar with the industry so this an interesting comment to me as I wasn't aware of the 3:1 ratio.

Out of interest then I had a look at how this our ratio compare to other countries and came across this which has a lot more info so might be of interest to others so sharing here: https://www.oecd.org/education/school/48483436.pdf

Suggesting the state should provide a fully funded childcare system is a valid opinion, I just don't share it. Many people point to Scandinavian countries, but they don't want Scandinavian levels of taxation on lower earners, only the good bits that someone else can pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

You also have to consider your career - life is not all about one thing or the other, but taking 4 years out of a career will have its effects, especially if you are an ambitious professional. I'm not saying either is the right or wrong thing to do - just simply saying there is a little bit more going on then just the budget.

Ok, strange. Maybe our creche is different in that sense. The fees more or less drop by about 100 euro per month with each room they move into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

A big part of the issue is the governments new funding model, which stops any creches who decide to avail of it from increasing fees, is based on pre-covid modeling so its insanely out of date as regards the last 4 years of inflation, that's a huge reason why so many cant afford to keep operating.

Advertisement