Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of "Zombie" by The Cranberries as an Irish sporting anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

It's hard to take anybody as genuine who opposes Irish rugby fans or any other Irish sporting fans singing Zombie.

Irish sporting fans have been singing it for years.

Soccer fans, darts fans, MMA fans, rugby fans. Yet only now do we hear the self serving clickbait cranks like Tadhg Hickey "objecting". All of this is a self serving grift buy the likes of Hickey and other Sinn Fein propagandists.

I have three words for anybody "offended": up yer bollix!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Given that the IRA disbanded 20+ years ago, it's slightly surreal alright that a song written three decades ago criticising them could in any way be causing controversy in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Newsflash..PC brigade ban all music, period.

Justification: All music has either offended someone on some date, or, has capacity to potentially offend someone in the future, when the latest political fad says so.

End of broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I like the song. It's a 90s anthem and was massive when I was in high school on the other side of the world. I love that it's become a rugby anthem in recent years and love hearing the crowd belt it out. Had friends and family from NZ comment how great it was hearing the Irish fans sing it after the match. As one mate said, probably the loudest rendition of Zombie ever.

Have to say I am quite partial to th es Breed 77 cover of it. Great version.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,081 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Its a song that people just enjoy singing along to especially in a sporting sense. Chan Sung Jung in the UFC better known as "The Korean Zombie" always had it as his entrance music and the crowd always used to sing along to it, an absolute crowd favorite where ever he went as he was a proper warrior. In his final fight in Singapore the crowd were singing it back to him and he was as always loving it.

Its so cool that the song has become so iconic outside Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

I like the song. I think it's a great tune. It doesn't change the fact that the PIRA were the good guys in the 30 year war.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,550 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Obviously the Koreans are mad for getting at the Shinners!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Imagine being delusional enough the think that murdering innocent children makes you "good guys".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

My haven't you changed your tune!

You're just an everyday sportsfan now right?

Whatever happened to 'All sports are inherently political' and 'shinners are a provo loving cult'?

I do think the majority of fans were singing the song for sporting reasons and would like to continue to do so.

I really don't think you're one of those, try as you might to pretend.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,763 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Unfortunately, there appears to be a lot of that nasty type of delusional thinking around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I haven't "changed my tune" at any stage.

And the rugby fans aren't going to change their tune either.

Have you not worked out yet why you're offended at people singing Zombie?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

In the last 10 years I've read some crazy posts on this site but WTAF!!!! Seriously. WTF!! There is something wrong with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

They were the good guys in the same way Stalin was a good guy when compared to Hitler during the early 1940s. Not a very strong argument.....

• Which they effectively lost. The line on the map is still there and the status of NI can only change with the consent of the majority and republicans signed up to this remember. I'm up in NI most weeks and areas like South Armagh are actually lovely places scenery wise. Sometimes I stop and pause and think people were actually killed for that aforementioned line on the map which you wouldn't know was there but for the road signs and markings changing. What an absolute bloody waste of lives it turned out to be.

Ah you fairly have, and it does a disservice to the genuine sports fans who want politics left aside.

I have a problem with people singing any song if they're doing so to question my politics when I'm trying to watch a match.

Whether that song is 'Zombie' or 'Yellow Submarine' makes no difference to me if it's having a go at the decisions I make primarily around health, housing and education for my children. At a f**king match.

Does that make sense to you? Or do you still want to shoehorn your opinions about SF as 'provo cult' into this?

Nobody is singing Zombie to talk about health or housing or education.

Some of them are singing Zombie because they like the song, others are singing the song because we should never forget that bombing children in Warrington is wrong. That you have a problem with that says more about you than it does about anyone singing the song. Does that make sense to you? Or do you want to remain offended by people singing a song about children being bombed being wrong?

I'd strongly suggest you have a look at this article: https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/father-of-boy-killed-by-ira-bomb-surprised-by-controversy-over-irish-rugby-fans-singing-zombie-1531581.html

Colin Parry has stated that he doesn't want the song used 'to stoke the fires of the past'

Drawing a line between this song and SF today, using it 'to sicken their holes', is doing just that.

Like an awful lot of people I'll likely be voting for SF on the basis of their housing, health and education policies.

Don't pretend you don't see that.

The people complaining about the song are the ones stoking the fires of the past.

You can vote for whoever you like, that is your business. However, that won't stop people reminding you of the blood and suffering on their hands. If you struggle to cope with that, not my problem. It seems to me that the only reason you don't like reminders of what the PIRA did is that it makes you less comfortable voting for Sinn Fein. Close your ears, you don't want to hear it. Shout down the reminders. I feel sorry for you.

Did you even read that article?

Or did you just decide you couldn't be bothered, best to blame this on 'the shinners' and keep on about 'blood on their hands'.

That's why I think the IRFU would be best to pick another song, this element will just keep pushing and pushing this otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭Francis McM

You can still vote for SF on the basis of their housing, health and education policies ( as you say you will) but do not forget SF are not only not honest (from G.A. "I was not in the IRA" down) but many in it are not the sharpest tools in the box and know little about building things, whatever about destroying things. One thing to set off most of the 16,200 bombs during the troubles ( which killed and maimed, that is what bombs do ). Another thing to manage a country and economy successfully.

Take the Murders of the very elderly Mountbatten for example. He was the only royal who was pro-united Ireland and yet they kill him. Not very bright, was that? And the person pressing the button to detonate the bomb on the boat saw there was a very elderly lady and innocent children also on the small boat. Yet they pressed the button. And you want people like that, who defend that, running the country? People who only got 1 or 2% of the vote during the troubles here south of the border. You are very misguided.

I think Zombie is great, it reminds people that the murder of children is wrong and was never done in our name. It is a very anti-violence, anti war song.

Something like Uh Ah Up the RA was a very pro-war song, so a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

For those of you pushing back against the SF/IRA attempts at censor **** here and given what Storm Agnes is doing:

https://youtu.be/OV5_LQArLa0?si=VHFmJEkl1nV3mT9V

When you walk through a storm

Hold your head up high

And don't be afraid of the dark

At the end of a storm

There's a golden sky

And the sweet silver song of a lark

Walk on through the wind

Walk on through the rain

For your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on, walk on

With hope in your heart

And you'll never walk alone

You'll never walk alone

Walk on, walk on

With hope in your heart

And you'll never walk alone

You'll never walk alone

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I agree, but I do think the same principle applies to the Celtic Symphony. I think we have to learn to overlook some stuff, not take it as seriously — and in fact be glad that these songs are sung in different contexts today.

And for the record, I'll happily apply that to Unionists too. Maybe it's just a function of where I grew up. I worked in a shop in the local town alongside lads who were Orangemen and bandsmen — and I considered them friends. I presumed that when out with their loyal brethren mates there would be all sorts of songs sung about people like me. But you could always more or less tell who were the guys who actually really meant it and who were the guys just going along with it. Same for me — I've sung all the rebel songs in my time, and I still will, and yet still can comfortably say that I don't believe the IRA campaign was justified even if I understand the grievances that existed and will never accept pontification about good and evil from people who do so from positions of comfort.

That's the complexity of the North that I think people outside of it might never understand. But overlooking, understanding, not taking it too seriously that history (both good and bad) creates cultural legacies — these are all key ingredients as to why the peace has lasted. Most people don't take these songs seriously, they don't mean the words literally or meaningfully, so just learn to overlook it.

In the words of one ex-Provo:

"At the end of the day, what was it all about? I mean the **** was it all about?"

"Could have done a lot better things."

"It was a waste of time and a waste of life."

Why should anybody care if you're offended? You're not offended on any reasonable basis.

Did you bring up use of the n word earlier in the conversation because you're comparing any criticism of Sinn Fein to the use of the n word as a weapon against black people?

I did read the article and the lack of comprehension on your part is stunning.

(1) Parry said "Having read the words themselves, I was convinced it was a call for peace after the Warrington bombing. It’s as simple as that for me." He cannot see why people like you have a problem with it being sung.

(2) He is then asked about Celtic Symphony. Here is the full quote: "I think the other recent outburst of 'Up the RA' stuff that was going on is more of a concern because there's no ambiguity about what that's about." Mr Parry said he would be more concerned if the singing of the song were to "stoke the fires of the past".

So he had no problem with Zombie but was worried about "Up the Ra" stuff being sung to stoke up the fires of the past. I have no issue with that.

Seeing as you brought his remarks up, do you agree with him that the singing of "Up the Ra" is more of a concern?

There you go with one of those leaps of logic again.

I brought up use of the n-word to show that the meaning of our words, actions, songs change depending on context.

It seems to you, me singing 'Happy Birthday' to my dear old nan, is the same as when Marilyn Monroe sang it to JFK.

But I guess you'll dismiss that as unreasonable too?

OK so you still haven't worked out why you're offended.

You bringing the use of the n word in this conversation was just plain weird. I have no idea where you're going with the Happy Birthday thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I think the controversy is a bit daft, but as a history teacher and historian, I think it provides a nice gateway into looking at a group of people that actually rarely get any airtime for their point of view. The people who supported the armed stuggle of the IRA, I actually didnt support it but we have to remember that the active volunteers who actually planted bombs, made bombs, were behind the logistics, those who planned different attacks or fundraised in USA etc then you have the families of these people, these men / women were usually 19-40 age group that were the main ASU members so in 2023 they are relatively young people, especially those in thier early 20s from 1986-1996, these people are now only 50s age group.

We need to understand thier viewpoints if we are to ever find what makes Northern Ireland tick and IRA stronghold areas in particular like South Armagh and East Tyrone. I think its really important that we know there are still people who actively supported and continue to do so. Maybe we need to think about these families who actually lost sons and daughters to them being volunteers in the Long War in the same way that we think of those volunteers who lost their lives from 1916 to 1923. What is the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

You requested all the figures off me from the CAIN site, I gave them to you. Did you read them? It backs up what I've said.

Advertisement