Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,680 ✭✭✭Gusser09

An allowance needs to be for the greater dublin area. The commuter belt isn't cheap to live in either. Leixlip, Maynooth, Celbridge, Bray, Ashbourne etc will all have to be catered for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

It's out of Dublin they're trying to get, due to the cost and scarcity of accommodation.

There are literally dozens of people in my Dept who have applied for mobility due to the cost of living in Dublin - mostly younger staff, and some of them born and reared Dubliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Greenlamp21

Dublin isn't the only city in Ireland that has extortionate housing and cost of living increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

It is the the worst though. Doesn't matter anyway , will never happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭bren2001

It would be based on where you work. Not where you live.

Never going to happen anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭DeKing

Well the unions need to do our bidding and make the Dublin allowance happen. When you've teachers and nurses relocating down the country and abroad due to the cost of living in Dublin something's got to give. They won't be able to fill vacancies then. Good luck trying to staff the new children's hospital. It's already gonna be understaffed as things stand, most likely some wards won't be able to operate due to unsafe staffing levels. A showpiece 2billion+ hospital not fully staffed gonna be another PR disaster the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

A Dublin allowance won't happen ,I doubt its something the unions would fight for either.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Ollie321

Decentralisation should be sought to a greater extent. Recently heard of a regional location closing down while jobs being sent back to Dublin. The mind boggles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

@yabadabado We saw how eager during the McCreevy decentralisation insanity how eager the unions were to sell their Dublin members down the river for the sake of a few promotion posts "down the country".

@Ollie321 You can't dencentralise Intreo offices, Gardai, nurses, teachers, council staff... and as far as civil service was concerned most of the low hanging fruit was harvested well before McCreevy.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Ollie321

I completely agree with you, but a large number of civil service jobs can be

• Advertisement

Didn't really work out so well last time. Retirements caused the loss of a lot of tacit knowledge, and then people simply stagnated in regional offices as there was no where for them to move to.

Besides any future decentralisation would more likely take the form of shared hubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,306 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Which jobs in which Departments can be decentralised?

A Dublin allowance wouldn't be for all, only for critical services i.e. Gardai, nurses, teachers etc. Defining those services is where it becomes very difficult.

I don't see the point in discussing it too much. It isn't going to happen. A broader pay agreement for all that brings peoples pay broadly in line with inflation is the key deliverable of these talks. Demanding more from the unions is unrealistic (I am not saying you are demanding it).

Why only for critical services? We need engineers, architects, IT people, procurement people, all of whom face the same challenges around living in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

With an election down the road I doubt they will bring in a contentious issue like city allowances in next couple of years. Look how the teachers grading students kite got kicked to touch because of “ai”

It would probably be an interesting topic for its own thread.

I imagine it would be very difficult to set the eligibility criteria for a "Dublin" allowance, and also a nightmare to administer.

I mean, off the top of my head, would it only apply to those renting in Dublin, or those commuting to Dublin, or those earning under a certain income .... the list could be endless.

Can't see it happening!

Well you would just define them as critical then and give them the allowance.

Effectively, you only want the Dublin allowance for roles that require people in Dublin. We have no choice but to have teachers, nurses etc. based in Dublin and there should be a premium given to that. Procurement people can work from anywhere, there is no requirement for them to be in Dublin like other roles. Hence, in my eyes, they wouldn't be eligible for it. The thinking is relatively obvious. Whether someone would agree with or not is a different matter and, as already said, prolly for a different thread.

I wouldn't agree that "procurement people can work from anywhere" (as an example).

It could be argued that for most people, there is still a requirement to attend the office in person for minimum number of days a week and if your office is in Dublin, why should it matter if your role is procurement, or general admin, for that matter? These roles may not be "front line" but they are still in Dublin.

Also, Head Offices tend to be located in Dublin, as that is where you will find the Minister's Office, Sec Gen Office, etc.

I am not going to get into a back and forth over what is critical or not. That would be my take on a Dublin allowance, you think everyone should get it. Grand.

You can move procurement outside of Dublin in its entirety with little to no effect on services. Again, I'll just agree to disagree. Very little relevance to the public pay talks really.

if its a "Dublin Allowance", then yes, it should be exactly as it says on the tin and apply across the board to those whose roles are based Dublin.

There will always be civil and public service general administrative roles that will need to stay in Dublin. Revenue, Intreo offices, HSE, etc.

Yep, it deserves its own thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭AyeGer

How would they introduce a Dublin allowance, most workers are outside Dublin and would vote against it. And the union would suffer if they tried to push it through.

Very true.

Though it might encourage a few to join the union so they actually have a vote.

I guess they'd have to look at how it was done in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Decentralisation won't work until there is a critical mass of senior level civil servants willing to operate in these decentralised areas. To be willing, they can't be spending half of their week travelling back to Dublin to attend meetings in person at the central location.

The reality is that the real decision makers are Dublin based and that shapes the rest.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭readoutloud

Would there also be a "rural allowance" to compensate for the lack of local medical care, no gas network, no broadband and the necessity for each adult in the household to run their own car, with huge mileage, since there is zero public transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

There are examples of decentralisation that have worked really well, where operational divisions have been moved to, or set up from scratch outside of Dublin, like NSSO and Justice Finance in Killarney, DSP Childrens Allowance in Donegal, Revenue collections in Limerick and more. These aren't policy folks, and don't have huge engagement with other teams and other Departments. They just get on with their own processing jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The late 2000s decentralisation plan was absolute horseshit. One of the most poorly thought out plans that, unsurprisingly, fell on its face.

My mate had his job headed for Donegal while his wife’s was off to Cork. It’s as if the powers that he didn’t consider their staff might have families that didn’t want to move…

In the end neither move went through (but she left for DCC before that was confirmed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Simply put, the offers shouldn't be in Dublin. Someone working in procurement could just as easily work from an office in Mullingar as in Dublin. The same can't be said for a teacher for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I think the talks are due to start this week.

Advertisement