Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strays (Will Ferrell, Jamie Foxx)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Not sure if much hype for this, but it makes me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought it was coming out in June streaming on Peacock now seems to be cinema release August 18th, looks doggy fun

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Night owl gal

Hi all,

Has anyone seen the new film 'strays'? Is it any good?

I know it's a rated 16 film and that it has a lot of bad language in it...is there blood/gore/horror scenes in it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭suvigirl

most important website for movies with dogs!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's alright. Basically a longer version of the trailer.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Night owl gal

Thanks everyone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

merged

• Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just watching this - it's very funny, the guy hitting on the girl at the fair and the dog narrating what he is had me laughing out loud

Guess you have to have the right sense of humour for the film

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ha Ha. I thought it was funny too.

I loved the part where Reggie is humping a gnome statue, and the dog who never shuts up says something along the lines of "Go on Reggie, show him who's Daddy now". And Reggie innocently says to the gnome - "I am your father; good to meet you, even in these strange circumstances".

I know it doesn't sound much; but a great piece of movie comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Narrator Dog was the big laugh for me. Otherwise pretty average but that dog...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Better than the reviews suggest. Really enjoyed it, nothing ground-breaking but basically Homeward Bound with a lot of swearing and adult humour.

Very easy watch and quite funny in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Thought it was very good but certainly not for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Look horrendous. Don't get the point of these types of movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Once you see Will Ferrell as main role, then you can pretty much write it off.

Post edited by murpho999 on

And by write it off, you mean laugh your ass off. Most of Ferrall's movies hit the spot. Not gonna win any oscars, but there are generally enough laughs to feel satisfied afterwards. Strays is exactly that.

I mean avoid, he's not made anything decent since Elf and Talledega Nights.

Strays has had terrible reviews but people who enjoy it probably think the likes of Anchorman or Zoolander (which I know is Ben Stiller not Ferrel) are classic comedies.

I actually can't remenber a good comedy film in the last 10 years, the genre has definitely declned in film.

Wow. You sound like a barrel of laughs alright. Strays didn't get terrible reviews

almost 70% score in audience ratings on Rotten Tomatos

4 out of 5 in The Guardian

Score of 4.1 on one of the Amazon sites.

3 out of 5 on Roger Ebert

You just randomly put out that comment, on the assumption that no one would call you out on it.

There are plenty of good comedies out there:-

Most of Will Ferrell movies

This is the End - with Seth Rogan and his crew

The Interview - with James Franco

Nicholas Cage one a couple of years ago - The Unbearable Weight of Massive talent.

Game Night

Blockers

Deadpool movies

21/22 Jump Street

MacGruber

Hot Fuzz

And many more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

Nothing decent since Tallegada Nights is a bit of a stretch.

Blades of Glory, Step Brothers and The Other Guys all came out after that.

He had a few others that were reasonable enough. Semi-Pro, Daddy's Home, The Campaign are all easy watches.

Even that Eurovision one was surprisingly decent overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

• Advertisement

Sorry but thanks for proving my point.

Nearly all the films you list are from the same group of people, Seth Rogen, Will Ferrell etc turning out the same stuff.

Strays has 54% critic approval on RT which is pretty poor.

Hot Fuzz is probably the best from the list but that's going all the way back to 2007.

But saying American smart arse stuff like Dead Pool movies etc are great comedies are evidence to me that comedy movies are not what they used to be and I stand by my comment that the vast majority of Will Ferrell movies are poor/average.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm no fan of the Will Ferrell school of comedy (Anchorman is a delight tho) but no shortage of delightful comedies out there.

One Cut of the Dead, Toni Erdmann, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Hail, Caesar!, Licorice Pizza, Red Rocket, Booksmart, The Favourite and Love & Friendship are some that immediately spring to mind.

Ok some good choices there but you have to agree that above is a more niche list that would not appeal to most, certainly no Will Ferrell fans.

I do think that mainstream comedy films are struggling for quality as a genre when compared to previous eras which had Gene Wider, Leslie Nielson, Woody Allen, Monty Python, early Eddie Murphy, Steve Martin, Robin WIlliams , Mel Brooks, Peter Sellers etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And all of them would be cancelled now if they tried the same thing - we can't have comedy anymore because someone will get hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Just gave this a watch on Sky Premiere Movies and agree on that review above

Advertisement