Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Allinall

Normal kids were begging to go to bed eh?

What we’re the other kids doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

It has been nearly three months since Tubridy was removed from RTE radio. In all that time, there has been no serious job offer from other broadcasters. That damages the RTE argument about paying the "talent" highly so that they wouldn't be poached by other broadcasters. The numbers for the timeslot have not collapsed. People are discussing the PK LLS as if the whole Tubridy era did not exist.

Is Tubridy's career in mainstream Irish broadcasting over?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They admitted at the PAC they were only competing with themselves, this is just the icing on the top - should be no one on high wages once their current contracts end. Not one of them has anything special

I think that Bakhurst has mentioned salaries for the "talent" and that he will no longer speak to Kelly. RTE management has a few more appearances scheduled before PAC so there may be questions about cutting costs.

Regards...jmcc

• This is the Toyman that came to my mind when the Toy Show would approach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

He 100% got a golden parachute so. Nice work RTE.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Bathurst has destroyed his credibility from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

The weirdly precocious kids were performing on the Toy Show.👯

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭maik3n

Moving on from the toy show for a moment, did we ever figure out why exactly they needed such an expensive photographer for Fair City.

I know, I know, it's obvious that RTE just love p*ssing away money but I'm talking about on a practical level.

Where exactly were/are all these photos ending up. It's surely not just for archival purposes?

You have your OK/HELLO and other trashy celeb magazines, along with the weekend newspapers for their SOAP roundups but even with all those combined, that wouldn't account for the mountains of pictures the photographer was probably taking.

It’s worse. Not only does this prove he was grossly overpaid, it shows there is no demand for his “talent” at any price.

Remember, he had agreed to a huge pay cut I.e. €170K so that was the benchmark for any prospective employer. But still nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

When is Joe Duffy's contract up for renewal?

He was willing to pay back the 150K. That would have meant that his salary for the first year would have been around 20K. A nice starting point for negotiations with the other "talent". :)

Regards...jmcc

• He got a further two year contract near the beginning of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

"A rising tide lifts all boats". It suited all at the top in RTE on 6 figure salaries for Tubridy to be on obscene money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The government are looking very inept here now. The scandal broke months ago and the PAC uncovered even more dodgy dealings in June. Its nearly October and the only action we have seen is Tubridy scuppering his own return. The execs have received golden parachutes or went to ground. No accountability, no reform, no plan, no answers. Just some can kicking reports... That's FFGG to a tee.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The minister responsible is supposed to appear before the PAC in October.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

As infuriating as Tubs ridiculous salary was over many years, especially at the 2011/2012 height of €700k, and how that relates to the obvious reality that there isn't and never was any competition out there that would pay a fraction of that figure for him, it's kind of beside the point.

RTE is a public sector closed shop. It's packed with lifers that would struggle to work anywhere else and a lot of them are on ridiculous salaries. Competition doesnt come into it because the licence fee and a culture of continual government blind eyeing and bailouts allowed RTE to operate outside the market. Tubridy's whole career is a case study in what happens when a golden circle emerges and they eventually gain de facto control of an organisation.

They give themselves jobs and keep outsiders outside. They live like kings and spend other people's money excessively. Ability, performance, results and all the metrics that matter in the real world are only partially relevant and can be worked around to the benefit of those within the circle.

As for a one off return for the Toy Show, even in the cloud cuckoo reality we seem to be existing in these days, that ones a stretch. Even Bakkhurst isn't that mad. You wouldn't ring up your ex wife after a divorce and see if she want's to go on a city break with you.

The PAC is taking legal advice on its power to get hold of documents about these exit packages. This could be a great test case to end the use of NDAs to protect those who who don’t want us to know how they spent public money.

The question for the courts would be whether a state agency can use NDAs to frustrate an Oireachtas inquiry. There must be some limit on these NDAs when public funds are involved, otherwise the Oireachtas will be unable to exercise its proper role in regard to public expenditure. Vicky Phelan raised the question on CervicalCheck but the HSE continues to use NDAs freely to avoid public scrutiny. Surely the Comptroller and Auditor General should not be blocked by NDAs?

If GDPR is the problem, there’s a great campaign for the next Euro elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Where I came from they were out robben cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

But we know Ryan is the best man for the job, it'd certainly increase interest and it'd draw a line under all the bitterness. It makes huge sense. The only problem would be if Patrick thought he was being passed over. I hope Kevin is thinking along these lines, assuage public anger by giving Ryan a few months off, bring him back for the Toy Show as a gentle start, and then back on the radio in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sure, Tubridy can make a surprise appearance on the Late Late Toy Show announcing what charity he'll be donating that €150,000 to... and I'm sure you'll agree, we could expect the generous spirit of the night to work its magic and Tubridy to provide a top-up amount. Could you suggest a reasonable figure? €500,000? The proceeds from his books?

I wouldn't hold your breath when the Toy Show starts for such an appearance.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Only yourself and Fionnan Sheehan are beating the Tubridy drum at this stage, there's as better chance of little green men invading the world and using the late late show to announce their takeover intentions than there is of Tubridy making a return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

You may be sarcastic, I'm not sure, but it'd be great if he did appear, said he was coming back in January and the money would be deducted from future RTE salary.

It would be a masterstroke from Kevin if he could arrange it with Ryan. I know people are cynical, but it'd give the country a fantastic boost as Christmas approaches. And what better way to draw a line under all the unpleasantness of 2023. We could start to look forward as a people to a brighter New Year. In a world where cancel culture is far too common it would be a fantastic statement.

It is notable that Tubridy hasn't made any media appearances in Ireland either on radio or TV since he was removed by RTE. Even the Sindo/Indo seems to have moved on to other things. No Irish broadcaster has made any firm job offer. The "Big Podcast" that his cousin mentioned never happened. Life in RTE seems to have moved on without him.

The last thing that RTE should be doing is trying to rehabilitate him by giving him another go at the toy show. And there are more PAC hearings coming up in October.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Where did this madness about Tubs returning to do the Toy Show come from? 🤣

I think this will be put to bed when PK does his first one in November. I think it will be a return to the Gay Byrne formula. A genial if somewhat bemused host who cracks a few jokes that go over the kid's heads and gives weary parents a chuckle. That's the winning Toy Show format for me, not some low rent, school musical where the host does 10 costume changes throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

You wouldn't ring up your ex wife after a divorce and see if she want's to go on a city break with you.

Lord, don't suggest that out loud, NK will pick it up as a possible Game Show with Baz and Kathryn hosting 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Neferteena

Well there's x2 potential news slots immediately available at GB News, now that Wootton & Laurence Fox are suspended.

This should test the mettle of NK's propaganda about their alleged interest in 'The Tubs'. It will definitely be (further) career suicide if he joins that rogues gallery.

Where's your puff piece now Mr Kelly? 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The madness comes from one person, who you've got to admit has been resolute in their commitment to trolling the whole thread for months now, never swaying in the face of popular opinion or waning as the toyman disappears further out of sight and out of mind. Top effort.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement