Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kay0ss

South facing roof, 20 degree pitch, located in West Kerry. 8.1kWp South Facing = Approximately 7,900 kWhs self-generated per year

20 x SunPower P6 405W panels, including a 5Kw Huawei Hybrid inverter and all fittings: €14905

• BER certification: €395 

• Eddi Hot Water Diverter: €790

• 5Kw Hauwei Luna Battery: €4850

• Zappi EV Charger: €1630

• Hauwei Optimizers (€80PP): €1600

Total Price: €24,170 (without SEAI grant) 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Robbery, get more prices.Why would you need 20 optimisers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 HappySolar

Have you a lot of shade/trees close to your home to need all them optimizers?

I repeat what the last poster said - ya need to get more quotes.

Even taking off the optimizers & BER that's expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

Has been reported before with Huawei  to support larger kWp and number of panels the inverter requires its own brand of optimisers to be installed on every panel. Sure there are posts reporting where max might 15/16 panels of approx 400W but to get to 20 they need the optimisers. Not so different from SolarEdge which requires optimisers for every panel.

Price is still crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Seventy Plus

KN Group

I hope I am not breaking any rules.

I paid a deposit and am now told that the Site Survey and installation will be done by KN Group.

Cannot find any reference to them and solar panels and am not happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

Which one are you then, Grumpy? Sleepy? Anyway, KN are a large electrical/coms engineering contractors. They would have plenty of qualified and over qualified staff trained to install just about anything with wires coming out of them. It's not like solar is rocket science. You can complete the course for the grunt work in a few weeks, any sparks can come along after and pop in the cable's and breakers, and it's really basic electrician stuff. If the inverter needs configuration it's all in the installer manual, and like any config, do it a few times, do it in your sleep after. Same goes for adding batteries. They'd be far more capable than the man in a van operators with a sparks on a retainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Jeez, has nobody got a sense of humour anymore? I'm not 'Happy' as in Snow White et al. You'll be as safe as houses with KN, They'll be calling you 'shortly' I'm sure.🧙‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Has anyone gotten a recent quote from the boys in Enniskillen? What is their lead time like at the moment.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

The most famous use of this quip was by Nigel Owens, distinguished rugby referee, who was being harassed for a decision by the diminutive Munster scrum half Peter Stringer. " I'm not Happy, Nigel" sez Strings. "Well which one are you?" Sez Nigel . Ouch.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Ints

I got it over a month ago, lead time mid November.

I would take it by the posters name they are elderly, maybe I'm way off the mark but it still looks like you were not really being nice with you're opening comment. "Which one are you then, Grumpy? Sleepy?"

I've been around the block alright. Well deduced. Sorry about the choice of alternative Snow White personnel. They were the only other ones I could remember. I'll have to Google the Grimm brothers, or Walt Disney.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

So being elderly can circumvent forum rules, and can name companies and suppliers. Good to know for future posts.

I'm not happy and subesquent replies, on whatever fora, a well established criteria and counter (tongue in cheek)

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

K&N are or used to be a telecommunications contractor and must be affiliated with one of the energy suppliers who are jumping on the gravy chain but I stand to be corrected on that. It's only suppliers that cannot be named.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 HappySolar

KN still do telco stuff. They've plenty of work for themselves there ha.

They must have saw the €€€ signs with the Solar

Whoa! He named KN, not I ! Unless he's a codger also ....

You do know this is a quotes thread? Not a smart arse thread yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Circet (renamed from KN) are contracted installers for a load of stuff. Replacing telephone poles, smart meters, broadband.... So I'd guess they are now contracting installs for some solar company based on the OP. In my mind, that's likely a good thing as they are likely all trained to work at height. And I know they have an installer training center, so you'd hope quality is decent. I don't work for them but I know of them through work (but nothing to do with solar). I'm not pro nor con them. 

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Citroen2cv

I have received 2 quotes so far (subject to survey) and am expecting another that will come after a survey.

House is small semi-detached with Hip roof with east and west facing elevations. Heating is a 15yr old Air Source Heatpump. Ber is B2. We have had some big electricity bills last winter -1000euro :-(

I asked for just Panels and hybrid inverter in the quotes as I cant stretch budget for a battery yet and am thinking the family are usually in the house during peak generation hours for east and west panels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

If cost important you’re not going to like the price when it comes time to add a battery to that huawei inverter. But I’d say defo try to get 8 panels or more if possible. The second price is good considering it’s including an eddi.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

just bough a huawei battery from senetic for 2350 delivered, now I already have a 5kw battery and the bms, but the prices seems to be dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

5kWh Luna battery - 1975 euro.

Luna BMS - 797 euro.

prices ex vat in well known irish wholesalers right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭eltoastero

Supplier 2 quote is very in line with what I paid back in June (so to me it's a good quote) - much better than supplier 1

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

currently considering this setup

Surveyor coming out tomorrow - we may have room for up to 24 panels (12 east-facing and 12 west-facing)

Can't seem to get any other companies to respond to my request for quotes yet tho

Can't really run to the expense of a battery and we don't need the EDDI either as our hot water needs are covered with solar-tubes (summer) and wood fired range (winter) so the system would purely be for exporting

Novice at this so any comments are welcome, thanks

6.4kWp of modules kitted to a Renac 5kW String Inverter

16 x Bisol Premium 400W Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

Bisol Mounting system on a *Slate Roof (*Price may vary on roof type)

1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch

AC Switchgear

Renac 5kW String Inverter

Costing

€8,400 Final Cost after Before Incentive

-€2,400 (SEAI Grant)

€6000 Final Cost after Grant Incentive

Where are they getting their 30 year lifespan from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Not sure what you're asking about. But here’s the warranties I have with the manufacturers and I’ve confirmed these from their website warranty info.

Sure, I'll have to pay to get an installer to remove the old and fit the new if a part dies, but that's the only cost. And that's the same for anything I own if I process a warranty and I don't have the ability to remove and refit it (like a gas boiler)

Their return on investment chart was predicated on 30 years of saving, no reduction in output and no reduction for the replacement or repair of panels, inverter or batteries. The graph was a straight line. Inverters will be unlikely to be serviceable halfway through that time, as inevitably will some of the panels and batteries. Just like a lot of the powered assets and fixtures you own, ovens, laundry, boilers, your car, you would expect to replace many or most well within half of 30 years. During that time you will have many substantial bills for servicing and repairs, rising with the age of the equipment. Unlike the trivial cost for installation of electrical appliances, such as €80 to swap out a €1500 double oven, you can expect to pay the same rate to replace PV panels or inverters as the original installation cost, which are currently several multiples of the equipment cost. I'd really love to hear from someone who has had panels fail after 20 years and has had them replaced at no cost under warranty.

Naive and simplistic statements of return on investment do nothing for the credibility and motives of the publisher, and an honest estimate of maintenance cost over the 30 years would have taken little effort. I'd honestly expect that you'd likely fork out half of your original investment again during a 30 year period, at which point you would be facing practically a full refit of the electrical hardware at least, and any weather exposed cables also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Substantial bills for servicing and repairs eh? Where are you pulling this from? What is substantial defined as?

• Advertisement

Have you never had to have a car, appliance, or boiler serviced or repaired over ten years of use? Make that 30 years? The cost of running a washing machine over thirty years is roughly the price of the original and it's two replacements every ten years, I wrote down technical and IT equipment over 7 years, in order ⁹to always have a reasonable QoS. Well and good if something functioned for twice that lifespan, others might fail or become obsolete in 3 or 4 years. Murphy's law states, 'if something can go wrong, it will'. And it does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement