Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Wagner not having a good year. From the crash a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

I'm on a laptop and just hit the option shown below, paste the link into the box that comes up and hit post comment. Works grand for twitter and news articles, and I don't have a twit account.

Flew from Minsk Belarus, before getting ready to depart for Turkey, some reports are saying it belonged to the Mali military,I'm sure we'll know more details,it happened on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

All that you say is true, and indeed possible, but now compare Poland to Ukraine and see what actually happens if you don't prepare. And not only the financial costs, but in Lives. Indeed all of Europe one way or another is ramping up defense spending. To repeat a phrase, we may have been caught once with our collective pants down, but for sure , its not going to happen again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There is no statue on limitations on war crimes but that wasn't my point.

My point was there is a limitation on who can be prosecuted.

Having to move a palliative care unit into a court room while some lad dribbles and shíts himself oblivious to why he is there is neither Justice or in the public interest.

Demjanjuk it is worth noting died technically "innocent".

Spending wise I don't think this will have major spending changes in the longer terms,the current biggest spenders in Europe is France Germany and Ukraine and even late last year still only a handful of NATO countries met the 2% of gdp spending ,only a handful of countries will ever be able to afford the types of programs that poles have put in place for the defence industry, UK was teamed with several other nations including Japan to look at developing the Tempest Stealth Fighter to eventually replace the typhoons but that's already has an axe hanging over the program, we may more joint programs for certain systems but for most part nothing will change for the majority of countries under the NATO umbrella

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Saw this clip from a few twitter posters. Funny that he doesn't mention an attack of the HQ.

Just the usual stuff, rewards on 18-09-23.

Still think its an old video.

Why can't they record a video where he says, the rumours are false, i survived an HQ attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 EmptyTankard

Why were the Canadians giving a standing ovation to a person who fought against one of their allies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

I'm confused. This is the video I was discussing. This is the same video that I quoted from @zv2 and was referencing like 3 posts earlier where the guy doesn't mention anything at all about the strike. And is supposedly standing in the middle of the prestine Black Sea HQ which as we know is a smoking ruin currently.

Ukrainian intelligence could be mistaken on this one. But a video of the dude sitting still and silently on a call in a war room meeting(I could make this one myself) and another interview of the guy on an undisclosed date without mention of any attack on say, their landing ships and submarine/dry dock or their HQ is not in any way convincing. Especially when you factor in the Kremlin being completely fact adjacent most of the time.

We had a situation a while back where supposedly Zaluzhny had been killed or grievously wounded by a missile attack. And then a few days later a reporter giving the days date and a summary of the rumours had the man alive and well on camera in a close up interview. Until Ukraine reverts on their claim or we get confirmation of this kind I'm just gonna assume the man is dead. Russia don't get the benefit of the doubt anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Paddigol

"Fact adjacent"... love it 🤣

As has been mentioned countless times... surely if he was alive and well Russia would have no problem getting him in front of cameras for a proper interview and making a mockery of Ukrainian claims... it would be the perfect 'out' for them from the embarrassment that is the HQ strike. Their chance to paint the episode as overblown (no pun intended) by Ukraine. So their failure to emphatically disprove those claims is very odd.

Maybe he's not dead, maybe he's in absolute bits in some hospital on life support and the Russians are waiting for the makeup department to arrive and prop him up on some pillows for a Zoom call.

Who cares at this stage. The Ukrainians have most definitely moved on to picking their next target.

Means he was born in 1925, So he was 8 when Adolf came to power. So he was just out of his teenage years when WW2 ended. He was killing people when he was 17/18/19 😨

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

18/19 year olds make the best "killers", at that age young men think nothing can hurt them, they can be easily brainwashed from a young age to do almost anything, and do it with a fanaticism that age usually dilutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Serves them right for tripping over themselves to virtue signal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ever hear of the Hitler Youth? Towards the end of the war, Nazi Germany was throwing anyone they found able into the war - not much different than what is happening in RuZZia in the Ukraine war. 18 years old can shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Worth bearing in mind that American government approved a 2 billion loan to Poland to help expand it's military force.

I could be mistaken but the loan comes from the lend lease program that was offered to all the Eastern European countries that are nato members.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Russian war 'heroes'-

Anton Gerashchenko

@Gerashchenko_en

I sometimes see Westerners saying that the more human losses Russia sustains, the more injured and traumatized Russians return back home, the sooner public opinion will change and Russians will start opposing the war.

Many Ukrainians, including myself, have thought so, too, in the first months of the war. We addressed Russian mothers, Russian women, told them that their sons and husbands will be killed or maimed. We got very little feedback and virtually no results.

For the Russians these dead soldiers are "heroes who protected the Motherland". And Russians choose to see them this way, empowered by propaganda and ideology - Russia is very good at hero-izing the dead. They refuse to realize that it was their country that invaded another state, their country that kills, loots, rapes and injures civilians in Ukraine; that these Russian soldiers are murderers and villains. In fact, for many of Russian women life becomes better with their men gone - a lot of them had drinking problems, abused their families, did not work proper jobs. Usually the people who get mobilized or sign contracts with the Russian army are from specific social circles - the educated middle class (a broad generalization) is not keen to go to war. Usually it's poorer men from distant villages who are in the trenches. So now these women can live freely and get a substantial amount of money from the government, living with a glossed over memory of their son, husband or father. In a way, that reassures them that Russia is doing everything right. And as Russia has over 140 million people, it has a virtually endless resource of cannon fodder.

As for the injured - Russia mostly hides its invalids inside, so no one sees them and remembers them. After WWII people who lost limbs or had other deformities were even sent to special "colonies" so they wouldn't get in contrast with the shiny myth of the great victory. What Russians don't see, they don't care about.

So these incredible losses of the Russian army serve more to mobilize and inspire the Russian society and increase Putin's approval ratings. This prolongs the war, and the longer the war lasts, the harder it will be to overpower Russia. And every day Russia becomes a bigger problem for the whole world.

What to do, then?

It's important to destroy, disrupt and break down Russia's military potential - as quickly as possible. That is what Ukraine is doing with attacking plants that produce military goods, breaking down logistical chains, taking down headquarters and so on. That is why it's so important for Ukraine to get long-range missiles.

Another crucial thing is combating Russian propaganda - it is the source of war and a huge part of it. Russian propagandists are war criminals. Severe personal sanctions are needed not just against the most known figures but against everyone who serves that machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,427 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just googling Russian war criminals and found this online list of Russians who crossed into Ukraine. Their name, status alive or dead.

It may be of interest to some.

Off to Google Russian war criminals in WW2 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Today the EBRD have revised upwards their growth forecast for the Russian economy for 2023. Their forecast from May of -1.5% has now been revised to +1.5%, although a slowdown is expected in the longer term. (For context, the European Commission's latest GDP growth forecast for the Euro area is just 0.8% for this year.) While official statistics from Russia are not reliable, several western economic institutions have conducted their own assessments this year, and are in agreement that the Russian economy is holding up despite sanctions and the effect of the war on Ukraine. Economic sanctions, while hurting the Russian economy, are not having the desired effect. I expect there'll be renewed calls to close sanctions loopholes and to lower the price ceiling for Russian oil.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

They may not have copped the SS connection. I suspect his publicly-pushed CV says "Fought for Ukrainian independence in 1945 as a member of 1st Division, Ukrainian National Army". If they didn't dig further, they may not have seen the SS bit.

I bet his family aren't too impressed this is now happening so publicly

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He has a vivid imagination. Not that I discount that the US Military uses airgaps and luddite techniques for the most sensitive information, without any evidence you could use this theory to allege anything about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Gdp is a very crude measure of economic growth , if a government spends billions on missiles or tanks or bridges in a war year , that subsequently get blown up in the same year , that counts to increase gdp - even though you have neither the treasure invested nor the bridge or tank or what-ever ,

Still Russia will be happy out with a gdp increase ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I'm not disputing it. No need to boil over. I was just expressing shock at a teenager being a clinical killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Germany withholding the easiest way for Ukraine to drop the Crimean bridge. Kinda crazy because we've seen it dropped before and shut for months. Russia replied with firing over 10p missile's at Ukrainian cities not a nuclear war.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

If its humanly possible, regardless of age etc, bring them to trial. The Kremlin criminals need to know that they will be hunted down and face justice, no matter how long it will take. That needs to be a worrying thought in their minds at all times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

That'd need some international agreement and laws passed for that occasion. Crimes against humanity, decided at Nuremberg, would have to be made to apply to them. Shouldn't be too hard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement