Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of "Zombie" by The Cranberries as an Irish sporting anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

You've backtracked now. You first of all said the song is not offensive to Sinn Fein voters, now you say it is.

I would hope the song is offensive to whoever wants to be offended by it. I think these are the type of people it's good to offend, because they're cretins, and I don't think we should worry about offending cretins.

Do you?

Do you want the playing and singing of Zombie at sporting events to stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Do you not read your own posts?

You've said earlier today that SF have blood on their hands and their voters need to be reminded of that.

Where are you getting that from? You've stretched so far at this point I really can't follow you.

Should Unionists be reminded that the British Army have blood on their hands?

I'll ask you for clarification of your position. Is the playing and singing of Zombie at sporting events offensive to Sinn Fein voters in general? Yes or no?

Do you want the playing and singing of Zombie at sporting events to stop?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how I could have "lost you". It was a very simple, easy to follow question. Do you think Unionists should be reminded that the British Army has blood on its hands?

Or should all references by nationalists to British Army atrocities and crimes stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

The IRA was riddled with MI5 touts from the top down.

What's in general?

I don't think the majority of sf voters, and I can't speak for all of them, are offended by the song itself, no.

If people are using the song to 'sicken their holes' or 'remind them of the blood on their hands'. I think they would be upset, patronized, offended, put out, excluded etc.

I still don't really follow you.

The best I can do is to say I'm sure Unionists are aware of the actions of the British Army.

I wouldn't see it as my job to remind them.

And especially not at an Irish rugby match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no, they won in that they got almost everything they were looking for.

equal rights, eradication of the sectarian state, the side lining of beligerent unionism which is now in it's death throws, and a UI to be decided by the people rather then the british government.

that's quite the win as far as i can see.

anyway sf are going to be our next government, north and south they shall be in charge.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

If the majority of SF voters have no problem with the song, they'll have no problem with it being played and sung.

We don't to worry about the cranks who do have a problem.

As I said, we don't need to worry about what cretins think. They'll always find another stupid thing to whinge about.

i have always been clear that the PIRA was a necessary evil and make no appologies for that.

if it wasn't for the PIRA as i said there would have been a genocide and ethnic cleansing of the catholic and nationalist populations of northern ireland and that could not be allowed at any cost.

britain is the one responsible fore creating the conditions where all issues could happen, and they had over 40 years if not more to change those conditions but didn't cause empire something something.

Those weren't the things they were looking for and none of them were achieved by the Provos, but by constitutional politics.

The Provos were formed with the sole aim of achieving a united Ireland by violence. They failed utterly.

It's interesting you think the "sectarian state" has been "eradicated". Northern Ireland seems like a wonderful place altogether, at least according to you, and given how much superior it apparently is to the south it makes no sense you'd want to chick all that in by joining up with our little failed state down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Nothing clear about that. We both have an opinion! Why are you so defensive?

I don't care. I think its a great (anti-war) song and should be played.

I dislike that it has been turned into a stick to beat the PIRA/Sinn Fein in though. I'm looking at you, Michael Martin.

Just on the anti-war aspect. The British Government banned the playing of Zoombie during the Iraq War. They obviously thought it was an anti-war song. I can't see the British Government banning anything that would be having a go at the PIRA!

“In March 2003, on the eve of the outbreak of Iraq War, the British Government and the Independent Television Commission issued a statement saying ITC's Programme Code would temporarily remove from broadcast songs and music videos featuring "sensitive material", including "Zombie". Numerous media groups complied with the decision to avoid "offending public feeling", along with MTV Europe. Since it violated the ITC guidelines, "Zombie" was placed on a blacklist of songs, targeting its official music video. The censorship was lifted once the war had ended.” (via sluggerotoole).

Should Bloody Sunday be used as a stick with which to beat the British Army? Should memory of what the British Army did that day and on many other days be suppressed?

If the answer to the first question is yes and the answer to the second question is no, as it surely is, then why should Sinn Fein be let forget what the Provos' crimes were?

Sinn Fein seems happy to bring up minor incidents in the past of politicians from other parties. Sinn Fein is only too happy to rake up history at every opportunity if it believes it can score political points off it.

But nobody is to ever mention Sinn Fein's history. Why the double standard?

a united ireland only became an issue later in the conflict when it became clear the british were going to continue siding with beligerent unionism rather then take no sides.

they sided against nationalists, and moderate unionism, instead siding with the minority of unionism, which shows that in reality they didn't even care about the majority of unionists.

i have no issue with it at all, it's you who has the issue with it, using it and a couple of irrelevant twitter posts to engage in fo/fake outrage and to go on a rant about our next and first 32 county government.

most of the people including 99% of sinn fein voters couldn't care a less about the song being sung at all.

• Advertisement

The most astonishing piece of revisionism I have ever seen on Irish history.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭jh79

The people of NI don't fully have self determination, a border poll can only happen if the SoS wants it to or not and is under no obligation to explain their reasoning either way.

That was a massive over sight on behalf of SF especially given that accepting and facilitating partition by being part of a British proxy government in NI was agreed to in exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

The PIRA were heroes, the same way the Old IRA were heroes. They both did some horrible things but fighting back against oppression is never something to be shamed for. Those who have were extremely brave. Remember, most likely they knew they'd end up dead or in prison but they volunteered anyway. We should be proud of how they stood up to terror from the British armed forces/loyalists, this doesn't mean that we should be proud of all their acts. They will always be heroes though.

Talk about sf's history all you like but just leave it outside the sports stadium?

It's pretty clear you're trying to bring your agenda into the game under the guise of 'innocently' signing a song about an atrocity.

You're doing nothing for people who want to go to the game and actually just sing songs to get behind the team.

And then you'll cry censorship.

So the guys who did Warrington were heroes in your view?

So you can't explain the difference either then?

How many innocents died under the Old IRA? How many people died during their campaign?

More than during the troubles, they disappeared 4 times more people than the PIRA. A huge number of civilians died in the Easter rising before that.

You've already shown that you are extremely uneducated when it comes to the recent 30 year war in Ireland, you never even heard of collusion. You are also clueless about older history. Read some books and educate yourself.

So you want The Fields Of Athenry censored too because it's a song that references history?

My agenda is that it's fine to sing songs which could only be offensive to those who supported bombing children to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

This entire thread is why most normal people are disgusted by everything SF/IRA/UVF/and all the rest stand for.

SF and their fan boys/bots cannot bring themselves to say murder is evil and wrong. Constantly defecting.

Lets have zombie played on every tv channel on the hour. And if there is another tune that gets the orange boys upset, play that two. They all deserve to feel very uncomfortable. They think they are so different, really they are the exact same, hateful evil shites.

Oh sorry! There's another poster called Yeah Right that I responded to. I'll quote what I said to them because it's very relevant to your post:

Does this link work?

https://cain.ulster.ac.uk/cgi-bin/tab2.pl.

You go to databases and bibliographies, then down the page go to database of deaths, down the page go to crosstabulations, then input status summary and organisational summary.

That put the Republican total for innocents killed at 722, the PIRA killed 508. They killed 1,048 members of the British side.

1,156 innocents were killed by the British side, they killed 187 members of Republican groups.

29% of those killed by the PIRA were civilians. 77% of those killed by the British side were civilians.

That backs up my claim that the PIRA targeted active combatants for the most part while the opposite was true for the British side, they targeted innocents for the most part.

• Advertisement

No, the guys who stood up to the mass murdering British armed forces and their loyalist lapdogs. Remember, the British side indiscriminately murdered over 1,000 innocent people. The British forces had recently assisted in starving millions to death in India, they raped women with glass bottles in Kenya, they caused pain and misery around the world. Standing up to then knowing that you'd likely be tortured or killed is something to be commended.

Advertisement