Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Meanwhile the government will pillage the pensions of the elderly to fund their time in care homes when they can no longer look after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mykrodot

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mentioned at the bottom of this article :

Bad enough that Ryan is actively against many of the key infrastructure projects he's now concerned about, but what we have here is a very obvious case of cause and effect.

More than that though.. Returning to the first part of the article and McEntee's push to extend our "obligations" till 2025 - Under what mandate is this deluded, immature, dangerously underqualified woman, who has been promoted far beyond her ability, operating under to call for such a thing?

Have the people of her constituency called on her to do this? Was there a recent poll where a majority of the electorate called for this? Or is this another solo run by the most unfit minister for Justice we've seen in decades? Who is she representing because it's certainly not the people of this country!

But if you believe Helen and her similarly set-for-life colleagues, none of this is related to pouring billions of euro into supporting anyone who arrives with a sad story, that the resources diverted to support them somehow come from a vacuum or parallel universe to the ones needed by the citizens of this country, that dumping hundreds of people with little to no supports into communities overnight will have no effect on those communities except positive ones, and that continuing to import more when we can't support those already here couldn't possibly go wrong!

But you know what is even more concerning about all this? The changes it's causing to our society where the will and interests of the electorate isn't just being ignored, it's being trampled on.

Want to know how countries start the descent into the much touted "far right" extremism that the media and advocates are screeching about at every opportunity these days? Want to know how normal ordinary people start resenting others around them and actual (not imagined) racism and discrimination increases in a society? Want to see how genuinely extremist candidates and parties are elected in previously reasonable and stable political environments?

Well just stick around folks. Thanks to Helen and her colleagues we're getting a front row seat! I said several years ago on this site that immigration and the effects thereof would become the most important issue in this country and here we are!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

genuinely extremist candidates and parties are elected in previously reasonable and stable political environments?

Are you predicting this at the upcoming general election?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

It certainly makes you wonder... Why would any politician want to spend more money on something that may not need more spending - i.e the war could be over tomorrow - why are we trying to "extend our Obligations" baffles me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

An interesting editorial in the WSJ today that was posted today in the Green thread. I don't know the person who wrote it but it's quite insightful when compared with some of the effects that the current Government's approach to certain issues are having on political discourse in this country. Roderic O'Gorman and the 2020s Irish Green Party are the best example of arrogant, disconnected do-gooding dunces who should be nowhere near any type of Government job, let alone senior Ministers.

The lessons that the UK and the US have offered in the last 20 years on what happens when certain roads are gone down and the associated paralysis of political systems have been completely ignored in this country and now we will have to deal with the associated consequences re: reduced social cohesion and political dysfunctionality. (in short: how much of the discourse coming up to the next election will be mud slinging about immigration, minorities etc instead of trying to tackle issues affecting people's everyday lives).

I don't think we're going to see another Hitler or Stalin in the next election, no.

But we already have various fringe TDs and groups in the Dail. I can certainly see more Independents running on a platform of immigration changes and similar groups being cobbled together once they are elected.

If FF and FG don't respond to this and start representing their constituents and their concerns, these groups (on both sides) will only gain more traction and become more hard-line over time - hence the start of the descent into a place that realistically NO ONE wants to go.

But it's on the incumbents to change that. SF certainly won't and are likely to alienate the centre-right electorate that FF/FG have largely already abandoned even further. Someone else will fill that gap. Not all of them will be reasonable, but they will certainly sound that way to increasingly frustrated and disenfranchised voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

We are beyond a crisis now. Unfortunately we've nobody in power to call a halt to this madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Another 1 billion to support Ukranian refugees, that's 5 billion in 12 months. Its only 13 years ago we were taking away medical cards from children with cancer to save a few million.

Iv'e said it countless times now, the Green party ARE the looney fringe of the Irish political system. How a political organisation with such a small percentage of the votes in the last election (4 or 5% from memory?) garner so much pull to drag us all down with them is criminal.

Thankfully it looks like the game is up and they are sinking like a cement block in a swimming pool from the latest available polling but they can still do and are doing huge damage to the fabric of this nation right here and now.

• Advertisement

I can certainly see more Independents running on a platform of immigration changes and similar groups being cobbled together once they are elected.

The next general election is like to be round this time next year, so time is getting short. Are you aware of any such canidates who have announced their intention to run?

If FF and FG don't respond to this and start representing their constituents and their concerns, these groups (on both sides) will only gain more traction 

The mainstream parties don't take this 'threat' seriously and won't until such groups start winning significant numbers of votes in meaningful elections, or at the very least start registering in a serious way in opinion polls...

Your tone is one of smugness - that you somehow think you've scored a point as well as rebutting the point.

What you're forgetting though is history. I'm sure the governments of several nations never thought their countries could fall into these traps - right before they did.

It didn't happen overnight then either. It was a gradual and cumulative building of frustration and anger that opportunistic groups and politicians built on to gain power.

Sounding familiar yet?

I've been hearing talk of a 'gap in the market' on the right for nearly as long as I've been following Irish politics, about 30 years, and nobody has come forward to fill it, so forgive me if I've started to doubt its existence.

Immigration is only the latest focus for it. The event that first crystallised this talk was the 49.999% no vote in the second divorce referendum, despite those voters being completely unrepresented in the political system. There was a widespread expectation of a breakthrough for socially conservative candidates in the subsequent general election, but nothing happened.

The next big thing was euroskepticism; there was supposed to be a massive surge of anger and alienation among the electorate after they were forced to vote twice on two European treaties. Declan Ganley and Libertas had a good go at surfing this wave but ultimately failed, and that tideb gradually receded.

So now again we are being told a huge swathe of the population have been disenfranchised over immigration policy and will be taking their anger out on the political establishment

Unfortunately we don't have a single political figurehead here who will show this type of honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

It is unlikely that there will be any major upsets in the next election (with regards right wing candidates) but is not beyond the realms of possibility in the next decade.

After all, it is only 10 years since Sweden was declaring itself a humanitarian superpower, and only nine since they adopted the worlds first "feminist foreign policy" (their words not mine).

The far right in ireland, at the moment, is made up of a bunch of disparate groups lead by loud, but not very politically savvy representatives.

If a Nigel Farage type character pops up in the meantime, then they could be something to start getting concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I would not believe ten years ago that the right would be climbing in popularity in Germany and France. Le Pen will probably win the next election after the retirement age increase and the riots after the shooting of a car thief. Italy already have a right wing party in power and Germany has seen the far right climbing in the polls too.

People are seeing the negatives of this immigration both here and abroad, that refugee stabbing babies in their prams in France is a wake-up call of what is being imported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

It is ridiculous to give medical cards. The rest of us have to put up with paying 65 euros to see a **** doctor.

I'm pro Ukrainian refugees but not that ****

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Unless Le Pen changes her stance on EU membership she doesn't stand a chance at getting elected... Where's the rise in Germany? AfG are the only right wing players there to my knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭ECookie13

And go on any of their Ukranian/Refugees in Ireland Facebook groups, and many are working full time but all asking about how to get stuff for free. It's insane. There are many who only want to live in cities or say they're saving for houses while getting all the free handouts.

• Advertisement

Yeah but they have nothing, including no money, how do they see a doctor without money?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

One would have to wonder if the current 3 political parties are trying to ensure the country is an absolute mess in case Sinn Fein take over and won't be able to cope as a means to get back in power afterwards as the current government know people have 0 faith in them and they are just doing as they please regardless of consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

So FF / FG / GP are trying to deliberately bankrupt the country to stick it to SF , if they get in next election ???

Thread has really jumped the shark ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Google John Kampfner's opinion piece in only yesterday's Guardian for an update on German politics. And a good dose of opinions from many in the comments section.

My own take was that the far right was slowly rising in Germany over the last decade. That almost stopped during COVID but now seems to be slowly rising again, the major change being traditional parties having to engage with it, in making decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Yes, I see where you are coming from. Looking back I would have seen many of the comments you make, being made by UK and continental European liberals, mid 2000s. They're not as confident now.

Hard for Ireland to remain an outlier either forever in this increasingly global EU team effort age.

I think whatever government we have will follow also the hardening EU stance towards immigration. Why? Because populations across Europe will support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Well - a few weeks ago we weren't having a give away budget and in the last few budgets we are putting money away for a "Rainy Day", yet bizarrely we are in a financial position to "Divert" 1 Billion Euro without any debate, consultation or actual apparent causation.

This is while we still pay USC and the higher rate of tax on now relatively low incomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Can I ask a question if these planned 5000000 or so extra people are planned over the next couple of years. Does that include if theres a massive downturn in the economy or it's in the toilet completely. Because what goes up must come down in my opinion. I just dont buy that there will be never ending growth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Sure Ireland has been an economic powerhouse for almost it's entire history. Oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

We probably need a massive recession to reset ourselves and bring us back down to earth. Our debts are unsustainable. Hopefully soon.

• Advertisement

The problem with that though is that it'll only make our current situation worse as we'll still have an unsustainable amount of new arrivals already here and being paid by the welfare system as well as the other supports that are costing billions.

The Government won't just send them home so unless they return voluntarily at that point (which I'm sure many will as Ireland won't be anywhere near as attractive in a recession as the rest of us remember from only a decade ago), we'll still be stuck with the bill and the consequences.

Advertisement