Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen counter top thickness - Cash and carry kitchens

Options
  • 27-09-2023 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

We've a new kitchen ordered from cash and carry for a house renovation we'll be doing in the new year, a friend of ours got one a few years ago and now wants to change the counter top. She seems to think that counter tops from cash and carry are a different thickness and she is now limited to getting another one only from them, as the kitchen walls are tiled and any other counter top won't fit as there will be a gap between the tiles and new counter top. Anyone else come across this? I would've thought all counter tops are a standard thickness?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

What is the thickness cash and carry use? 38mm is standard for formica there are other sizes available for solid wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Some of the quartz tops vary from 20mm to 30mm. The 30mm counter-top is more convincing, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To be short and sweet. You're friend is mistaken. The thickness is irrelevant in most situations. If the existing counter was a 50mm, and you wanted to replace it with a 32mm counter. You'd simply pack it out. If increasing the thickness significantly, you do the reverse.

Obviously at the extreme thickness changes, you need to cover the visible gap, or reduce the carcass, purely a dimension issue

The 20mm is usually all that is required for strength. I agree it can look a bit stingy, but unnecessary to thicken the whole slab to create a look.

More common to have an edge detail like the below. 20mm slabs can create a 100mm look easily.

Advertisement