Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of "Zombie" by The Cranberries as an Irish sporting anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Republicans killed 60% of those killed during the troubles. Loyalist 30%, and security forces (who sometimes acted in self defence eg Loughgall) 10%.

Nobody is here defending the Loyalists or British army / RUC. None of their leaders say there was "no alternative" to UDA or UVF etc.

Over 99% of the 16,200 bombs planted during the troubles were done by Republicans. Some people here claim they were the Irish army, they were the Irish forces. They were not in our name. SF only got 1 or 2% of the vote here during the troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

People like to sing along to 'Zombie' because it is a great song.

People like to sing along to 'Celtic Symphony' because it is a great song.

End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it wasn't riddled no.

it did have some touts as i said, as did all organisations involved in the conflict, something which was to be expected.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Well, going on Live Aid in 1985 when U2 performed it, I'd say Bloody Sunday goes over the heads of the British people. (saying that, I don't know how many in the British Army would have been in the Live Aid concert in Wembley and would have been offended by it).

Its the hypocrisy of Fianna Fail/Fine Gael that I think is important. Sinn Fein took the gun out of politics in Northern Ireland in what was a 30 year civil war. They should be applauded for doing that, not beat over the head for FF/FG petty political gains. Sinn Fein cannot turn its back on the PIRA and start condemning them. If they did, there would be many more dissident republicans and a lot more bombs going off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I don't want any song censored, where are you getting this stuff from?

And as for the rest of it, you'll just keep hitting the same contradiction in your argument...

You say the song is only offensive to people who support violence.

But you also say you want to offend sf voters with it.

Again you're doing nothing for the decent fans who just want to go and enjoy the game.

• Advertisement

they absolutely were what the provos were looking for, and the constitutional politics to achieve them came about because of the vital armed struggle.

northern ireland isn't a wonderful place, but it is certainly substantial milage from the place it was when the sectarian state was in place.

it will finally be leveled up when reunification happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

this is the kind of delusional mentality that will prevent a united Ireland for another few generations at least thankfully IMO

your kind we can do with out , c ya kid

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Ignorance of historical context means you don't understand history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

this also .

the unit in charge of finding touts had multiple touts in it ffs so they just labeled random people as rats and tortured them to death.

if that isnt a example of a psychotic group ......

Internal Security Unit - Wikipedia

cowardly scum

blanch is well aware of colusion and all else in relation to the troubles but they want to pretend it never happened, blanch wants to paint beligerent unionism in a good light regardless of facts.

i base my statement on reading their posts across multiple threads on the matter of sf and the troubles.

• Advertisement

• Dunno how you can argue they got "99%" of what they (the PIRA) wanted. They didn't get what they wanted on the most important question of all: the constitutional one. The British government's key position of Irish unity only by consent, remained unchanged for many years and is enshrined in the 1998 agreement which republicans signed up to.

As for overthrowing the pre-1972 NI state, I'll repeat what I said before: they should have quit their campaign (since they went and started one) in 1972 once the old Stormont was gone. Also re implementation of equal rights: The Civil Rights Movement could have accomplished that without the 'help' of the PIRA's campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Having half of your senior members in the pocket of the Brits would, certainly, count as riddled.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Bearing in mind that the Anglo Irish Agreement failed and the current GFA isn't exactly going too well (despite the PIRA having given up the arms), I'm not sure how you think that the Civil Right Movement would have achieved anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Possibly shared already but at least Waterford Whispers can be relied on to take the sting out of all this.

• The achievement of equal rights in NI doesn't affect the constitutional issue or how it can be changed (by consent of the majority). Even if something comes along and replaces the 1998 agreement, the unity by consent principle will remain a part of any future settlement IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

The guys who did Warrington thought they were "standing up to the Brits". They were in fact standing up to nobody, they were bombing children to death.

John Hume stood up to the Brits.

I'm glad Sinn Fein/PIRA stopped killing people. Stopping killing people doesn't then mean that nobody ever gets to mention it ever again. That's not how politics works.

If Sinn Fein want to continue maintaining that all that murder was "necessary", they're going to be called out on it.

Sinn Fein's problem is they cannot ever let go of the big lie.

Well if you don't want any song censored, grand, Zombie stays as a staple of Irish sporting events. And let us all sing it loudly.

Not sure that would have worked. The Sectarian State of Northern Ireland needed to be dismantled completely for it to have any chance to deal with the consequences of gerrymandering and the fairly corrupt RUC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Great, and every sf voter going to a rugby match will have yourself there to preach to them and 'sicken their holes'

I can't see it happening.

My guess is the IRFU will come out with a statement along the lines of regretting the song being politicized and probably take it off any suggested song playlists.

Some fans will keep singing it to show the 'shinners' what's what, others in protest at 'cancel culture', some will keep singing it to resent the politicization of sport, more will just be confused.

The whole experience will be a lot less inclusive and enjoyable for the decent sports fan.

But as long as your equals got to preach to people who've already heard and rejected their agenda, that's all that matters, right?

• Advertisement

But its not just mentioning. Its being used as a stick to beat Sinn Fein (who are not the PIRA) by FF/FG for petty political gain. You need to move on from this. All FF/FG are trying to do is demonise Sinn Fein voters (which is a total nonsense because all you will do is get their backs up)!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yep for all that fighting what was achieved?

Over 3000 dead - great

Delores is spot on the only ones that have anything in common with each other were the Loyalist/Unionist Zombies and the Republican ones. The warped nature of their minds meant they appreciated each other more than the place the larger entity they were supposed to feel attached to.

If a person of the 'NI Unionist/Loyalist' had written a 'Zombie' song it would be not much different only maybe the odd date here or there would change. The sentiment of Zombie is to castigate violence and just happens to written from the authors perspective, about people she viewed as indoctrinated and zombie like.

But such people who the song refers to don't like to be asked 'What's in your head?' because it forces them to self reflect. Many Northern Irish people have massive chips on their shoulder when it comes to having to self reflect. Whether that be Ulster fans blaming referees for targeting GAA teams more than non-Ulster teams etc. Ulster people are always very prickly when those from outside don't have their mindset - they get insulted very easily.

In a sporting context - I suppose the 'What's in your head?' would be more appropriate to a missed penalty or a sending off. I doubt many even know what the song was all about these days. And the refrain 'Zombie' and 'What's in your head?' are just an amusing thing to chant

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

SF are not the IRA, nor was Gerry Adams a member of the IRA.

I've a bridge for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Sorry that was me. I wasn't aware there was another poster with the same/similar name when I selected this one. I'll see if I can get a mod to change it if there's confusion between me and @Yeah_Right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

The majority of those killed by the PIRA were active combatants. The killed over 1,000 members of the mass murdering British armed forces. On the other hand, the British armed forces and loyalists killed over 1,000 innocent civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I'm not happy about that poster imitating me. Might have to sue them or something to protect my good name 😁

Don't know why you added what you had already posted to them to the post. I've read this whole thread and as I mentioned in my post that you quoted, I've had a look at the CAIN website before. And nothing on it makes me think PIRA were the good guys. They were cowardly murderous assholes.

As I mentioned earlier, I like the song Zombie and I enjoy hearing the crowd sing it at Irish and Munster rugby matches. I think it's great. The fact it upsets harder Shinners and RA heads is just a bonus. It's like when you open a pack of bacon and find an extra rasher. Happy days! You were going to enjoy eating the bacon any way but now you have extra bacon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

My guess is the IRFU will come out with a statement along the lines of regretting the song being politicized and probably take it off any suggested song playlists.

The IRFU absolutely do not give a **** about the people objecting to Zombie. Correctly.

Some historically illiterate lunatics claiming the song is partionist and demeaning to nationalists and those people being roundly corrected by everyone is also not a song being politicised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

You are happy there's a border, you support it so of course you don't like the efforts of the PIRA. You support the British side, that's fair enough, you can support who you like. The facts can't change because of that though, the PIRA fought the cleaner war against terror from the British state/loyalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

It appears to have escaped your attention that a song written to condemn the murder of innocent children by terrorist scum is political.

The only people who do not find the message of the song inclusive are those who approve of the murder of innocent children by terrorist scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

It's alright. Means I can write horrible stuff and blame you 😁

Advertisement