Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of "Zombie" by The Cranberries as an Irish sporting anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Nobody is stopping you in refuting the points I've raised. You are free to do so. Are you able to?

The Old IRA who disappeared over 100 people weren't standing up to the Brits! That doesn't mean that they were just in their war. The same with the PIRA, the did some indefensible things but standing up to the mass murdering British armed forces wasn't one of them!

Standing up to British state forces is anything but cowardly. You do know of their history and expertise in subjecting native people to all sorts of torture? Knowing yourself and your family members would be in huge danger of being murdered or imprisoned by the British state but volunteering to defending your community anyway is seriously brave. Again, that doesn't defend all the actions of the PIRA but they're war was just and they were in the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Well, if you lived in Northern Ireland through the troubles, I'd imagine you might be a bit chippy, particularly when people who are clueless about what it was actually like are telling you to just suck it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Such ignorant nonsense. I'm gonna say something that'll blow your mind. You can be a nationalist i.e. support the notion of a UI without supporting SF/IRA as they were at the time. In fact, most nationalists and catholics at the time took this very position by supporting the SDLP who hammered SF/IRA electorally throughout the Troubles period until after the GFA when both camps, for want of a better term, moved to the extremes by supporting SF and the DUP thereby abandoning Hume's SDLP and the UUP. Your posts betray a frankly childish view of the situation. Good guys indeed 🙄. Binary, absolutist thinking like yours gets people nowhere except into silly arguments where anyone who doesn't hold your green good orange bad attitude is derided as batting for the other side just because they don't share your view. It's obviously far more complicated than that but those who support child murderers in the name of the cause can't abide such nuance as you've shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If someone doesn't have the first clue about how society in general has changed in 100 years, I would have to start at a very basic level.

Here are two articles that will help you understand why two similar events, people, organisations can be viewed very differently, despite their superficial similarity, because of context, social, historical, cultural and economic. When you understand the principles, you should be able to apply it yourself to the old IRA and PIRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Full lyrics - Zombie

Another head hangs lowly

Child is slowly taken

And the violence caused such silence

Who are we mistaken?

[Pre-Chorus]

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family

In your head, in your head, they are fightin'

With their tanks and their bombs and their bombs and their guns

In your head, in your head, they are cryin

[Chorus]

In your head, in your head

Zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie

What's in your head, in your head?

Zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie-ie, oh

[Post-Chorus]

Du, du, du, du

Du, du, du, du

Du, du, du, du

Du, du, du, du

[Verse 2]

Another mother's breakin'

Heart is takin' over

When the violence causes silence

We must be mistaken

You might also like

Vigilante ****

[Pre-Chorus]

It's the same old theme, since 1916

In your head, in your head, they're still fightin'

With their tanks and their bombs and their bombs and their guns

In your head, in your head, they are dyin'

[Chorus]

In your head, in your head

Zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie

What's in your head, in your head?

Zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie-ie, oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh, eh-eh-oh, ra-ra--

--

I assume it is only this part that is sung at matches? -

[Chorus]

In your head, in your head , Zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie, What's in your head, in your head?

Zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie-ie, oh

[Post-Chorus]

Du, du, du, du, Du, du, du, du, Du, du, du, du, Du, du, du, du

---

I had forgotten the 'du du du' bit

Anything with a 'du du du' in it easy to chant. As simple as that meaning of song lost really. All about the chorus and the 'du du du's?'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

He literally said he was thankful that the border would remain in place and he hoped it would for a long time to come. So I didn't deride anyone, that's his actual view and he's free to have it.

It's your binary, absolutist thinking that is the issue. The PIRA did some bad things so you think that means their entire war was unjustified. That's not how it works, it not black and white, it's far more nuanced. Irish freedom fighters in the past did bad things, those fighting apartheid did bad things, those fighting racism in America did bad things, the Ukrainians now are killing civilians including children, does that mean we should call them child murderers and condemn their fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

What has any of that to do with an anti-violence song?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Don't talk to me about nuance when you're going on about good guys while making spurious comparisons with a contemporary European conflict.

How do you respond to / account for the lack of support among nationalists / cathlics for your heroes at the time? Could it be that they were also revulsed ?

But there was no justification for the PIRA. Not a single poster over the last decade has ever posted a coherent argument as to how and why the PIRA campaign was justified.

Killing children with bombs was the cleaner war, I think we have just reached the absolute peak of revionist Sinn Fein thinking.

So you can't refute any points I raised. It's ok to admit that, no shame in it. But at least did you read up on the collusion link I provided for you? It might open your eyes a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'm pretty sure they'll be taking notice if it's being used with the stated intention of provoking or preaching to SF voters, as is the case here.

There's a lot of us after all.

Harder again to see what Munster rugby will do.

There's a lot of love for Delores here in Limerick.

The idea of using any of her songs, or her memory, to score cheap political points won't go down well.

If it was just a handful of 'lunatics' coming up with nonsense, why not just ignore them? How did it turn into this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

aw I see !

if you dont like something you just make up what ever bs you like to make the facts fit your own personal narrative

I advise you to speak to a medical professional about these delusions.

thank god ye are still a lunatic fringe as ye always were

The idea that the song is being played for any other reason than it’s a time that people can sing along to is batsh*t crazy.

The idea that the song itself is at attack of SF specifically and not mindless violence in general is batsh*t crazy

proxy bombing

bombing childrens hospitals

bombing unarmed parades

sniping from another jurisdiction

hiding themselves behind children

persistently torturing people that they knew to be innocent (due to them being the actual guilty parties)

facilitation of peados

protection rackets ,smuggling drugs tobacco desiel and god knows what else , ongong criminality

to name but a few of the proven activities of your organization

ya the heros ,

and all because ye couldnt swallow a large group of people singng a song about the victims of your heros

pathetic

I don't think that's why it was chosen, or sang in the first place.

But that's what's being said now.

They want to 'remind' SF voters about the atrocities and 'sicken their holes' with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Funny how the most vocal republicans live the furthest from the border. Those of us that have been near bombs, nearly ripped apart on a fairly frequent basis by these great clean freedom fighters just going to school etc dont hold these people in such high esteem.

• Advertisement

Who are “they” and how do “ they” get to live in your head rent free during a property crisis?

i did not of course , The idea of some one with your mentality in charge of a united Ireland would make Ireland a failed terrorist run state. (think Afghanistan ) poor attempt at manipulation , youd be thrown out of any debate in the world on your lying ass

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭standardg60

Goading the opposition, some might hear it wrong and be offended, Parry said it was wrong to sing it, SF voters may be 'educated' by the song.

A few pages back you said you were a possible reluctant first time SF voter cos they were the only ones who were going to put your kids through college and put a roof over their heads, now it's 'us'.

Would you ever get off the stage, you're in a minority of one who's called for the song to be banned in this entire thread, it's not going to happen, MM said as much this morning when he stated, correctly, that the song being offensive to anyone is absurd.

I understand where you're coming from and part of me is thinking why am I getting involved.

I only joined this thread to share my thoughts on the song as a sporting anthem, I wasn't even aware of what had happened on twitter!

But then I'm seeing all this stuff about sticking it to the 'shinners', reminding them about Warrington etc.

I know the majority of rugby fans are decent, but there is that element, as in most sports, who I know will be thinking the same.

And that does upset me. I don't want to have to deal with that going to a match. I'll really only vote SF because they're the only viable left wing option.

I want my kids to maybe own a house and go to college. For that I'll be accused of supporting child murder. At a match.

I don't want sport being used as a platform for that kind of agenda. I don't know how the IRFU or Munster rugby deals with it now but I'm afraid the door has been opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The chorus asks a good question 'What's in your head? Zombie'. She's simply questioning in what world is it a good idea to plant a bomb in a litter bin on a busy Saturday afternoon with children walking past it i.e. how could any bomber rationalise with himself that this was the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes . Agree again .

All this fuss over songs , books, poetry and plays ...personal stories and experiences, and expressions of such .. art and culture, that should not be taken literally and used to divide people . They are of their time and relate to particular events and the artists' own stories as much as , and maybe more than they do to history

People are being too sensitive and keeping wars going needlessly .

All the history is there , true , and nobody is saying forget what people suffered , but if people can move on we will be the better for it . This picking at healed scabs eternally is not going to get us anywhere... except bleedin' sore !

SF members on social media do themselves no favours harking back to the past though , drawing attention to all that many moderate members have spent the last 20 years trying to move past. Just as many moderate Unionists have too .

Greatest turnoff as I said previously for anybody under the age of 35 that might be thinking of voting for any of the parties involved in slating music and songs

Its housing , education , health, economy that they want discussed .

Its extremists on either side that love this cuffuffle over the likes of Celtic Symphony and Zombie , and try to drag it out for effect .

They are just songs that people sing often without thinking , although the words Up the Ra don't sit easy with me and some other older people .

The crowds at the concerts in EP and the match in France were not thinking of war and people getting killed mostly I would think .

They were just enjoying themselves and doing what happy people do, sing along .

It was lovely to hear .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Spoiler, SF are not going to give your kids houses nor make it somehow super affordable.

I didn't say half those things.

The rest I was only quoting what was said here already.

I haven't heard the mm interview but I find it hard to believe he's doing anything other than chasing votes and further politicising this.

The song was blacklisted in the UK for being offensive, yet he can't see how it could possibly be?

It's calling someone a zombie, of course it could be offensive in the wrong context.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,008 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the british government's key position was irish unity by concent of the british government only, up until the good friday agreement, after which it changed to irish unity by concent of the people.

the PIRA quitting their campaign in 1972 would have meant certain ethnic cleansing of the catholic and nationalist community and that could not be allowed at any cost, + the removal of stormont did not remove the sectarian state.

the civil rights movement could not have accomplished equal rights on their own, as it was clear the british government would not give them anything, and showed they were willing to beat and shoot them off the streets.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement