Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disabled parking permits

• 24-09-2023 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14 Rumy

Recently I have applied for a disabled parking permit and have been turned down as i dodnt meet the criteria. Since and before then I have observed several clients in my area with disabled parking permits who are quite mobile with no problem at all in walking. Someone somewhere are telling lies on their application form and some medical person is signing off on same. Are the DDAI not checking on this fraud or what is going on?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Only comment I can give on this is not all disabilities are visible. So while you’re frustrated that you weren’t given a permit, it’s not fair to say that some have no problem at all walking etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

For example, My mother can walk but not long distances, she has a genuine permit becasue she has a genuine condition & is genuinely entitled to it.

But to judge her by just looking at her, you might say she doesn't need it, she does!

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Gusser09

They are fairly strict when giving them out. It literally has to be a physical mobility issue so the disability would be visible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Not necessarily if it is a heart or lung capacity issue that restricts their mobility.

This is just wrong though. Couple of other posters have clarified why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Rumy

The criteria strictly states severe mobility issues or blindness, so the the reply that there could be some unseen medical issue does not apply,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Some doctors will sign them off without thought or consideration.

our family GP despite being a pretty young guy will not.. he’s at a guess around the 48 mark but when one family member went to renew his pass the doctor insisted he come in for a full physical exam / consultation…

the condition is bad arthritis. They don’t need a walking aid but….Arthritis is not a curable condition so was a bit of a head scratcher as to why the fûck he wanted to see them. Arthritis can just be symptomatically managed, through medication, exercise and keeping excess weight off….

So if he expected to find his patient doing the foxtrot across the waiting room in a pain free sprightly manner…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Incorrect. I have a blue badge, as I have a medical condition that affects my mobility, but it's not visible.

GPs have no say in who is issued a Disability Badge.

All they do is complete a medical assessment form.

It's the DDAI or the IWA who then decide whether a permit is granted, or not.

• The eligibility wizard can help determine how you qualify. I have somewhat advanced MS, poor balance, unreliable mobility in that my legs can suddenly give way, more especially after going on them for any length or over more uneven ground. The doctor does not usually (though may do if the surgery space were right) do a measuring test per se to see precisely how far you can walk, but asks the relevant questions, and determines what underlies the disability, ie, is it something that can be remedied, what is the cause etc. There are precious few disabled spaces in Ireland, so there is quite the restriction on who gets to use them, but that’s another argument.

• Advertisement

They have a say.

You must be certified by your GP or medical practitioner that you fall under the relevant criteria.  That is having a say.

If the doctor had not seen your relation before it seems he was just being thorough.

Some severe mobility issues are not immediately apparent to a casual observer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 landlady 2023

I believe they give them out for blind people too (for obvious reasons) and people with autism.

No, they literally don't.

My GP actually made a point of telling me very specifically when I was submitting my application that he had no control and no say over whether I was issued a permit, or not. His only function, was to fill in the form giving details of my medical conditions.

Your relative also should not have been asked by their GP to do another medical, as this is not a requirement for renewal unless it is specifically requested by either the DDAI, or IWA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

My dad had cancer and got a blue badge as he struggled to walk very far at all. To look at him when he was out & about, you wouldn't have immediately thought he needed one. The criteria are really strict & they are hard to get so I wouldn't question people who have gotten them as you don't know their medical issues. And not all physical disabilities are instantly visible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,613 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Or maybe some jealous person reported them because they couldn't see any visible disability.

You know those people. 🙄

Yes, Disabled parking spaces are very limited, but you can park on the street as normal and display your badge.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

That actually never occurred to me, that someone would do that! Any request for a review of eligibility would still have to come from the DDAI or IWA though, not the GP.

I have been side-eyed before when I park in Disability spaces because I am not wheelchair bound (yet). You get used to it. I just ignore. I do recommend putting one of these on your car though...

There are a variety available from Amazon.co.uk. Might help some people get the message.

• Not really much point, can park on the street without a badge 🤷‍♀️

• Advertisement

• Yes, when the legs are liable to start giving way after x amount of steps or time, it isn’t always immediately visible to the observer when one gets out of the car.

I quite like this one!

It's bad enough for people suffering from a serious condition trying to get on with their life without some stranger judging them.

Often they will have made an effort to get dressed up and leave home. Getting out is good for them.

Have a little understanding. If they have a blue badge just leave it at that.

• Administrators Posts: 14,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The badge often entitles the user to free parking. My aunt had a badge but did not need the use of a wheelchair. She more often than not would park in a normal space/on the street leaving the specific spaces for those with wheelchairs/mobility aids that needed extra space.

Fair play to her. That is a very decent thing to do, and something all badge owners are asked to do, if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

We have a blue badge holder in the family that has a life long condition whose impact varies day to day. Some days she would be "normal" to onlookers but other days she cannot maintain verticality at all. She only takes a blue bay if it's needed that day and warranted by the condition.

Genuine cases of people having blue badges are usually inherently aware that there's always someone out there worse off than you and only occupy a blue bay as a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Ginger83

There is nothing wrong with people wondering if a blue badge holder is genuine. A lot abuse a family member's permit and there is also an issue with fake or cloned permits. I am a permit holder and wheelchair user.

I guess its human nature to wonder.

But its another to snap to a judgement like "I can't see anything wrong with them, they must have lied on their application!"

Maybe where you live. But where I live we have Traffic wardens and Parking fees.

With the blue badge you don't need to pay the parking fee.

• Advertisement

No disrespect intended and I agree with you that abusing the permits is wrong.

I was pointing out that judging people's eligibility by their appearance is also wrong.

I'm not a badge holder but a friend is and I have often accompanied them.

It has nothing to do with appearances, the powers that be state that one must be unable to walk (no mobility) or blind to avail of a disabled parking permit, this doesn't include any disability which may not be visible

Incorrect. You obviously didn't research this properly.

Or at all.

My aunt was not blind, and she was able to walk. Most she ever needed was to link one of us when out and about. She had a permit for years.

There you go, she was lucky, many people refused with major health problems

• Advertisement

Your the one who's incorrect, I've had it dictated to me in writing on exactly what was required medically. By the way less of that bad attitude, there's no need for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The main point about not paying the parking fee is that it saves you having to make your way over to the machine and back with the ticket, a problem if you have mobility issues.

If you have a blue badge and park in a non-wheelchair space (assuming it is accessible for a wheelchair if needed) would you have to get a ticket? It might be helpful if you did not. The mean spirited people using other people's blue badges might then park in an ordinary space and still save their €2, leaving the larger space for wheelchair users. They could be sorted out as a separate issue.

I notice you didn't answer the question so I'll take that as a yes.

Honestly, you're the only one here coming across with a bad attitude. I'm sorry your application was refused, but don't take it out on those whose applications were successful. You don't know their medical conditions.

From the DDAI site:

WHO QUALIFIES AND QUALIFYING MEDICAL CRITERIA

The medical criteria for issue of the EU parking permit are strict and only persons whose mobility is severely and permanently restricted qualify. These criteria were revised and clarified in the Department of Transport’s ‘Review of the Disabled Parking Scheme 2010’. The primary legislation for the purposes of EU parking permit defines a disabled person as:

“A person with a permanent condition or disability that severely restricts their ability to walk”

Note that "severely restricts" does not mean "can't walk".

And from the IWA website:

Origins of the Disabled Parking Permit Scheme

The Disabled Parking Permit scheme was born out of a basic necessity to maintain independence for people with limited mobility. 

"Limited mobility" does not mean "no mobility".

We're done here.

Looksee, to answer your question on parking charges, it depends. You really have to check.

If its a privately owned car park e.g. Parkrite or one of those, you will be charged for parking even with a disability badge.

I still have to pay for parking in The Square or Liffey Valley Shopping Centres, etc - and funnily enough, in a lot of hospital car parks (though some have limited free spaces).

But if parking in a regular parking space on the public road or in a local authority car park then no, not usually. You don't have to have a ticket either, just display the badge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

They don’t in Ireland. And I could do with one at times when bringing my son out as he has no sense of safety.

• Advertisement

You mean you're done here, I know people who don't meet the criteria you mention in any shape or form which you outlined and are in possession of a disabled parking permit.

My god Rumy you are incredibly bitter.

Well then obviously you don't have to be "unable to walk (no mobility) or blind" to get one if these people have them and seem (to you) to be perfectly able.

Apply again. With supporting documentation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My husband had a blue badge. He could walk very short distances with difficulty, because he was on oxygen permanently. He was just, with the oxygen, able to walk from the parked car across the pavement and into the audiologist's office, with assistance, he could not manage either the car door or the office door. But, yes, he could walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I often look at people pull up at Aldi with a permit and then walk about 1km between grabbing a trolley and around the store but I'm not a doctor. The rules when I applied stated you must be unable to walk over 50 metres unaided.

I've had my permit was inspected by a traffic warden once and another time late at night at a toll we were asked if the disabled person was in the vehicle.

The 50 meter "unaided" guide still applies, and leaning on a shopping trolley functions very much like a walking aid.

It's not that different from using a rollator for support.

For reference, 50 meters is the length of an Olympic size swimming pool).

This is just nonsense , i know several people with mobility issues but who can walk using aids and are entitled to permits :)

That 50mts thing is a load of Boll1x

One traffic warden in my town has a blue badge.

Go figure.

Quite true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP part of the conditions mentions measurement of lung function. Now unless you have some superhuman abilities, you're not going to be able to tell someone's lung function just by looking at them. They really don't hand these out to just anyone & the process can be intrusive to a degree when looking for medical information and reports so I don't think there's widespread issues of people getting the badges who aren't entitled. Are some people in their families using them when the shouldn't be - well that's a different thing all together.

• Advertisement
Advertisement