Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any reason left not to go smart meter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Confirmed over the phone but only because they expect all of the remaining d/n meters to be upgraded by end of October, allegedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I don't see it happen ofc, unless there's like 10 d/n meters left and even then I expect it to take months 🤣

Yeah surely there must be 100k, maybe 200k D/N meters at least in the country, probably more. And they are all going to be replaced in the next 4 weeks? Sounds as plausible as Santa Claus dropping down the chimney of every home in the world on Christmas eve 😂

Hey, keep Santa's name out your f** mouth 😂 👋

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yeah surely there must be 100k, maybe 200k D/N meters at least in the country

I read somewhere the figure was around 275k d/n meters.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

But they really only have to change the ones that have solar .. 10? 20%?

Thats true too. Is it even 10%? Might not be.

They will change them all in time but in terms of deemed FiT they are prioritising the people with d/n and registered Solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mun1

i think they have 52,000 smart DN meters to change with priority given to those with micro gen with deemed FIT.

52k in 4 weeks? I honestly can't see it happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Can we be forced to change to a smart meter? I'm on a day night meter installed last year. I'm totally happy with it and don't want to change.

Nope, you can't be forced. But if you refuse, you will no longer get deemed export and you will never get export on a smart meter either in future. Also the day / night plans will be coming to an end soon, I bet no provider will offer them any more next year.

We really got to move on to the smart meters, they are in the country's interest. The will nudge people to either consume less during the most expensive / polluting times and if you don't oblige, you will pay the high price for this dirty electricity. The polluter pays, as they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Thanks for reply. Don't get how d/n supports use of dirty electricity though. Something like 80 -90% of my units are used at night when the grid is supposedly cleanest. I have no panels btw and won't be getting them as I don't intend to stay in this house for more than three years.

I'd be surprised if that's the figure. I think we have about 60k domestic Solar PV installs to date. Would 52k of them be d/n meters? Maybe, seems high though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,394 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You will never get export on a future smart meter if you refuse?

First time I've heard or read that. Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭DC999

I'd expect you won't get FIT until you get the smart meter at the point when D/N deemed export ends.

CRU confirmed similar to me on 24hr meters. No deemed export is payable as there are smart meters people can chose instead. IE, they see it as there being an alternative meter type available. I know that's no specific to D/N with it's the same CRU rationale I expect. CRU determine what meter type gets deemed export and when that ends, not the ESB or energy providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

If D/N plans are being phased out why are they installing c.275k D/N smart meters? are these new smart D/N meters just for D/N plans or can they be configured to accept any smart plan?

I'm actually not quite sure on that bit, maybe someone can verify

D/N supports use of dirty electricity because they don't support the splitting up of the day into 30 minute slots. As the move to renewables progresses further and further, more and more of these slots are renewable most of the time, but at some peak times the grid is very dirty, expensive and dirty fossil fuel peaker plants will have to get started up and people using electricity during this time will need to pay the price (or chose a more expensive plan where this is evened out). D/N meters can't do that. That's why we need to get rid of them in favour of smart meters.

They are drop in replacements for current DN meters, (the older gen would have forced everyone onto a 24 plan until the SM done its thing and verified itself or whatever it does)

The new SM supports DN plans and all smart plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Thinking out loud here ,would it pay a household to have a battery only to be charged on night rate [5cent rate] and to use this then for usage for the day .for instance my house uses about 20 units a day .what size battery would supply this and how long would it need to charge for during the night

You would need to do the sums yourself, how much can you use directly in the 2-5AM night rate slot, like you can run all your applicances on night rate, heat your water, charge your car, etc.

Then you don't need to use all of the rest of your units from battery, this 5c rate is so cheap (and you get a €100 welcome bonus), that you can use quite a significant part of your units at the peak rate of about 47c and you would still be better off than on a 24h rate of say 30c

We've done some ROI calculations on the last few pages of this thread, have a look and adjust for your own situation. Depends a lot on your needs, what sort of system you would get, would you build your battery yourself, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

Looks like they could be moving quick with the d/n smart meters. Received the same letters as others over the past week but didn't bother contacting them to arrange the switch, mainly so I could see how it might all play out. But today I received a text from an installer for TLI that he's coming tomorrow to switch it.

I could potentially delay them but may as well just go ahead with it. I'm recently out of contract from the great Energia EV fixed rate and was waiting to see what offers were available. At least with the smart meter I can now choose between a crappy d/n plan or a crappy smart plan! We're probably around 98% night rate usage even with a small battery, so have the potential to export more than the deemed amount (although winter is coming). No more running around putting on the washing machine or granny charging the EV etc. to limit export!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

If you buy a battery, you still need an inverter. Why not also buy panels? They are the cheapest investment in solar compared to the other two... and they will definitely pay for themselves.

A battery only system is a real risk... it might take 4 x 5kwh off the shelf batteries... and each could cost well north of 2k euro each. You would be only betting on high electricity prices over the life span of the battery and a large difference in a special cheap night rate continuing.

No one hear can predict the future prices of these.... panels on the other hand will always harvest sunshine. For the next few million years hopefully.

I sold a 5kWh pack recently for €895. @graememk is selling an ME3000SP for €600. That's €1500 for a complete system, plus couple hundred for a few cables and an electrician to hook it up. Pay back time 4 years

Only a fool or a rich man would buy 4 * 5kWh packs for over €2k each plus a hybrid inverter PV system for many, many more thousands.

Or buy a 14kwh pack for about 2300ish, or diy a pack or whatever.

sigh i knew ye would pile on. percentage of DIY SOlar in Ireland? Care to guess? Very very low numbers. OP asked for total battery size to power 20/day. not part of a solution from used gear nor DIY build.

Before building a battery only system i would hugley recommend doing ALL other home upgrades like insulation, pumping walls, replace windows etc - solar is last. battery is last behind load shifting and automation.

30kwh. Would also need a 10kw inverter! The 5 c pinenrgy is a niche case.

But if you stayed on a DN plan, won't get the 5 c but still a sub 20 night rate and a mid 30 day rate. There is still about 20c in the difference there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

It's like they can't see outside their bubble. Its like me thinking its insane to trade in a car rather than sell privately.

I wouldn't trade in but I can't see whyy others would for piece of mind and convince

Advertisement