Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

I would be very happy with a draw, given our recent away form and given that we had a midweek game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Overall I also trust Emery, but he has gotten these away games against superior teams horribly wrong this season so far, so I’m worried we will see more of that.

Fully agreed that he's gotten them wrong. Thats why I was hoping/expecting a mini reset, where we just tried to be defensively solid first and foremost. But i guess if you are an elite manager you have to trust your thinking and your system.

We’ve been a bit fortunate in that first half. Getting murdered on that left hand side that they’re clearly targeting and we’re a little fortunate that Chelsea are out of form from an attacking perspective.

Emery needs to find some way to provide protection there or we’re gonna be talking about it being the thing that let the game go away from us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Getting destroyed down the left today. Zaniola not tracking back and Digne can't deal with the balls in behind (Torres also isnt grea at covering this).

McGinn is having a bad day. Id replace him.

This game is there for the taking, first goal will decide it.

I’d consider putting Lenglet in there and going three at the back (I know Lenglet was not good on Thursday). Emery was very good at accepting when we wouldn’t be the progressive team in a game last year and finding a way to be practical. So far this year, he seems to want to impose his philosophy even when outmatched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sanchez doing some work for Chelsea all the same.

Hopefully we can capitalise on the red card now.

Nice one ollie, no idea how he managed to get that in

Get in! Up to 6th!

• Advertisement

3 points off 3rd, good start of the season I'd say

Huge win, we were generally bad, but in the end the red card gave us the opportunity and we took it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

You would not be wrong to say that the turning point was the red card but...

We had a mid week match they did not

We got 3 points they did not.

6th place, Result!

Really like seeing Ramsey back

Great result.

BUT

We are very lucky we played a Chelsea team who have zero confidence in front of goal today.

This ultra high line offside tactic away from home is borderline idiotic and will cost us more then it will get us over the full season.

Why we continued to play this way when we were one nil up is beyond me and we can thank Martinez for multiple saves which were flagged for offside at the time, but i think would all have counted as goals had VAR checked them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

New logo because people don't like the new logo.

Shirt issues.

It is mad that it got to this stage. How was this issue not picked up at some stage during quality control!

1-0 down, and Bailey off injured (hamstring, maybe?). Bad start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Just what we need, another player injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Newcastle have cancelled their contract with Castore due to quality issues, Villa might go the same way. Newcastle changing to Adidas and since Sawiris has a stake in Adidas could Villa go the same way?

• Advertisement

Teilimans has been really poor again tonight. He can keep his mouth shut the next time he goes on international duty about not getting picked if this is the way he plays when given his chance. Miles off the pace in CM.

Between him and Torres, the start hasn’t been a resounding positive reflect of the summer business. Diaby on the other side of things. Zaniolo somewhere in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

I was all about the hype with Torres and he might need more time to bed in but he has been very poor defensively since making the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

We’re a real Jekyll and Hyde team.

He looks all over the place like. Of course there is always potential for improvement but I’ve seen nothing from him yet to suggest it.

Is there still an option to release Tielemans back on a free transfer? He has been a proper dud and it’s worse from him given he was in the Belgian media moaning about his minutes.

Yes so far the summer business now isnt looking great (Diaby excluded) . I really dont know where Zaniola will fit in as he is srange type of player and Tielimans is showing the same poor form as last season.

The losses of Mings and Buendia now really look far worse.

But for me my biggest concern is the crazy high offside line we play away from home. This is going to kill us over the season like it already has done in 3 away games. 2 Mins after we scored away to Chelsea and with us having an extra man the whole defense pushed right up to the halfway line when Chelsea had the ball and it took an easy pass over the top to Chilwell to get in. If it wasn't for Martinez we wouldn't have got that result the last day and that one play especailly made me wonder what the hell are playing at defensively this season as its one of the most naive things ive seen on a football pitch in a long time. To also play the high offside line away against the best team in the world at exposing this (liverpool) has made me wonder about some of our tactics at the moment.

It’s worth a mention that we were doing the same thing excellently last season though. Spurs at home and Liverpool away towards the end of last season, Villa were taking massive risks but they’d argue that they were calculated risks when you consider that they were executing it so well.

Change the starting lineup from being Moreno, Mings, Ramsey, Buendia to Digne, Torres, Zaniolo and Diaby, and we’ve seen it look a lot more suspect against strong opposition, so I guess the question is what we’re seeing now what we should expect to be the new normal, or does the team with all those changes ultimately just need time to adjust to it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I get the impression we were going to see a lot more of the 3 at the back system until Mings got injured. Torres would have been ideal in this system as the ball playing CB but now isn't looking the greatest as he has to cover the massive gaps left by our full back essentially playing as a winger at times. That said I haven't felt he has been as bad as some others so far either.

He may not be happy with it but unless Tielmanns ups his game he is only going to be a squad option going forward for us.

Another issue as a result of the injuries has been McGinn being shunted around into other positions that don't quite suit him. He was covering for Ramsey a lot this season before his half at LB to give Digne a rest. I hope we don't have to be concerned for Moreno given that he was on the bench recently but now isn't and we have to do this with McGinn just to give Digne a rest.

As mentioned by others the high line does worry me, but we generally get away with it though some of that may be because of Martinez... Olsen not exactly helping himself with another error when Emery gives him a run out.

I never want to lose but Europe and the league are going to be the priority this year and if we get more injuries (let's wait and see what the situation with bailey is) a few less games may not be the end of the world.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I dipped in and out because the stream I had wasn't great, but we struggled when Everton pressed our back line, they tried to play out but made a mess of it a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

That’s one of the ways to really get at this team now as well. I expect Brighton to bring a high press on Saturday and on the evidence so far this season they can have success. They did this to United at Old Trafford a few weeks ago and it worked very well.

• Advertisement

It's the jerseys, too heavy slows the press down.

Let's pull a Newcastle.

It didn't help how static everyone was last night. At one point in the first half, they had 3 players pressing and our midfield was jogging with a man on each player. That's where Watkins is excellent, he always pulls a defender and makes space for a longish ball.

We weren't great last night but Everton were brilliant off the ball and had a set up that we just couldn't get around. Shouldn't be ignored how well they did.

McGinn has been terrible of the left. Fair enough, there are injuries but surely someone else can cover and let McGinn play his normal role, he's too effective for us to nullify him with our own selection. Moreno and Ramsey will open more options than just LB and Left side of midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Crazy that Castore couldn't just fix the issue, same as every other manufacturer does.

Is this something we can look forward to in the future for Ireland too?

Am I mistaken here but my understanding is we still have the gear on for the rest of the season, just leave the deal at the end of the season.

Either way, someone just made a mess of that company. That will be a hard one to recover from.

There's no metric that the players will continue to wear the gear as is and perform to their best.

It's actually a real problem people seem to think it's a technicality, but running around weekly for over 90 minutes in gear that retains and doesn't dissipate sweat what so ever is really bad for the body. Not to mention illness.

They won't go out in the gear as is. And shouldn't.

Even a basic penny's cotton t shirt would offer up more performance in breathability

Just makes them look bad, Villa are surely one of their more high profile customers and they've provided them with goods not fit for purpose, and, instead of fixing the issue, it seems they've just shrugged their shoulders. I'd imagine there will be further implications for the club, refunds on shirts that fans bought etc.

Probably won't effect Ireland as it was just Villa's shirts that are affected apparently.

Poor Tielemans would have been a superstar only for those darned jerseys

Pretty confident no one implied that. But its a ridiculous proposition to expect our squad to compete in the top 6 with sub par gear on that keeps your body temp up and clings moisture to you.

Top tier teams compete on millimetres of advantages.

• Advertisement

They should just cover the sponsor of last season's kit and use that.

It was a joke at Tielemans expense. I wasn’t saying that anyone implied that.

Careful, he'll complain about this to home journalists

Almost at the point already where I hope he goes home to his home journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

It’s easier to forgive a slow start to a new team but complaining to the press like Baileys agent and now Tielemans which actually puts them under more pressure to perform. Buendia also had a slow start but retained the support of the Villa fans. Hopefully Tielemans will come good and do his talking on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Would love to get something from this, even a point but performance haven't been consistent enough this season. I suspect Brighton will win it by a few goals.

• Advertisement

This will be a good match to show where we are. We've shown we can be good but also quite inconsistent. Brighton are really good at the moment but I still think we could win.

Both teams are looking to break into the top 7 so this will be interesting.

Trying to play out again against a pressing team. Not going to end well I think.

GET IIIIIINNNNNNNN!

Very well worked goal.

Wow, Brighton just sat back and let Watkins take that shot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement