Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of "Zombie" by The Cranberries as an Irish sporting anthem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭standardg60

You said them all, do you want me to embarrass you further by posting your quotes? You're clearly a SF supporter from the start here, that is your rationale in the thread from the start. Didn't see twitter? They're posted on the first page.

The song was blacklisted prior to the Iraq war, because it is AN ANTI-WAR SONG!

But you knew that, because every time anyone has actually engaged with you you've deflected or ignored their comments, including mine.

You're clearly just trolling on behalf of SF

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

that was a conspiricy theory put forward by those bitter at the GFA on the british side.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Ageist much? Some of my dearest friends are still under 35! 🙈

But I agree with you. I just want to be able to go watch a match.

I don't think the fans in France were doing anything other than singing along, but it's been politicised since and I don't know how that harm is undone.

Post edited by MegamanBoo on

well no sf weren't the IRA and adams wasn't in the PIRA as he has said himself, he is innocent until proven guilty in a court therefore his claim is accurate until proven otherwise in said court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Now the ultimate irony. A SF supporter on the same side as the British government because they don't like a song that draws attention to the futility and wanton cruelty of bombs.

In your head, in your head.

I didn't post until page 5.

I've posts on other threads going back months about being a reluctant SF voters.

What was I doing then, building a cover?

posters absolutely have posted perfectly coherent justifications for the PIRA self-defense, you not agreeing with those is not the same as there being no justification.

"The civil rights movement could not have accomplished equal rights on their own"

I frequently hear this and it is pure bs. Equal rights and independence were achieved in all the other colonies, even India ffs.

Plus Ireland had a huge US diaspora on our hands, it wouldn't have taken long to mortify the Brits into equal rights and a path to a united Ireland.

But no, the PIRA went straight from defence into barbaric offense who, along with the piss poor management from the brits, created a province never more divided and a population never more entrenched in their beliefs, beliefs that were only loosely nodded to preciously in mist cases.

We have nothing to thank the PIRA for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Where do the begin and end ? if a student asked I would prob point to post 1925 maybe when FF was formed and rump of anti treaty became SF. Should the IRA have stopped their actions after housing and jobs for catholics wasnt as big an issue? where and when should they have stopped? i personally believe they may have been right to defend their areas from persecution of loyalist mobs, but i never got the whole British army being a foreign invader, they literally were the proper army of that jurisdiction of the UK. end of. IRA had zero right to take on and go to war against the army of their country. it was basically a civil war type revolution not a freedom fighting mission. when was this mythical Ireland only ever ruled by irish people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭standardg60

So your excuse for not seeing the first page is you only posted on page 5. Have you an excuse for not seeing the MM interview which was posted since you joined the thread?

Have you also got an excuse for replying to posters who questioned you on certain points by telling them to read the thread?

I did only post on page five?

Why would I need an excuse for not watching a mm interview? Guess what, but as a SF voter I don't put much stock in what he has to say. I responded to what you picked from the interview.

And why wouldn't I ask somebody to read the thread if they've missed or ignored something in it? Sure I missed the first page.

You're starting to sound more than a little conspiratorial trying to trying to paint me as some sort of SF agent.

I think some of you struggle with the idea of reluctant SF voters. People that can't be painted as extremists or part of the populist mob are a challenge I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The IRFU aren't scanning Boards.ie to see what people are saying about the song. They don't care about a few malcontents.

It's not hard at all to see what Munster rugby will do, they will continue using the song. It was chosen by the players.

I would add, you are wildly misrepresenting what people are saying about provoking people with the song. Mostly people simply don't care, those who have professed a desire to provoke people have done so in the context of saying they are happy to provoke people who somehow take umbrage at a song rejecting violence against innocent people. Is it a bit childish? sure, but the general concept of not really caring about people who are bothered by the song seems fine to me.

It "turned into this" because of some high profile arseholes pretending to take offence at the song and pretending it was done in deliberate retaliation to the uproar around the Wolftones were given far too much oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

The difference between Ireland and all the other colonies is that Britain divided Ireland and created a sectarian statelet with a very large Irish minority and for the last 50 years or so has Westminister Direct Rule. That doesn't happen in any other of the colonies (though I think the partition of India was pretty horendous with millions dying and more millions being displaced). We now have two powerful countries with nuclear weapons at their disposal fighting over Cashmir.

As for the US-UK had their 'Special Relationship' (Remember Thatcher & Reagen). Irish up to fairly recently were 2nd class citizens in WASP US. It was only when Teddy Kennedy started taking an interest after Bloody Sunday in Derry and the perseverance of John Hume in the US that got them involved.

Westminster couldn't care less about Northern Ireland. It suited them that it was used as a training ground for their army where no questions would be asked when they overeached themselves (i.e., internment and the various torture techniques they used where no questions were asked). It gave them battle hardened soldiers to send then to Afghanistan/Iraq etc. and enforce British influence.

Its unusual that a country's own army would kill its own citizens. Just a reminder of how the British Army weren't too happy with the Civil Rights movement.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=john+hume+british+army+officer&bshm=rimc/1#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:8d66a6e1,vid:DwBOUkBAO5s,st:0

You know what, I do need to take a broader look at this and see how it's playing out elsewhere. 👍

I can't agree with you though that the motivations expressed by more than a few here have been genuinely anti-war.

It's quite clearly and transparently been about getting at the 'shinners' under the auspices of caring about the victims of an atrocity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Do you know what other songs were blacklisted by the UK government at the same time? I think there was about a hundred including Coming In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins and Rocketman by Elton John. I think the B-52s were completely blacklisted as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Ah lucky you ;) .

Not at all ageist ..Just know that this is the demographic apparently that SF are appealing to .

So you are happy to be told what song you can sing by a political party / its members . ?

My point is just that people's choice of art and culture should be off limits politically .

Edit to my post quoted : it should read " partie's involved in slating those songs " , but for some reason that won't edit on the post for me .

• "the british government's key position was irish unity by concent of the british government only, up until the good friday agreement, after which it changed to irish unity by concent of the people."

The Northern Ireland Constitution Act of 1973 actually established the consent of the people principle, ie, the constitutional status of NI could only change if a majority in NI agreed to it. This was restated in the Anglo-Irish Agreement of 1985, the Downing Street Declaration of 1993, and finally in the 1998 agreement. Pity it took so long for SF and the IRA to eventually arrive at accepting this, not to mention the thousands of lives lost for nothing during that period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

is there really a point with arguing intelligent articulate factual points with these shinnerbots ?

i mean if you saw people like them the street or in a pub you would smile in sympathy at their pathic nature and move away before they start a fight with someone wearing the wrong premiership jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If you are anti-war and anti-violence, sooner or later Sinn Fein and its legacy end up as one of your targets. That is an undeniable reality.

I could be wrong but this is the list I see. About 15 or so songs. I think a lot more were banned in the US.

You'll see there's plenty of songs there that wouldn't be considered remotely anti-war. Probably something in the video or something in the title. It all depends on the context and I'd say an awful lot of songs/sayings/poems etc can be offensive if intended that way. As a politician mm would be well aware of this, but I guess he thinks it's advantageous to let this roll on.

The 'national leader' thing to do would have been to say, let's not politicize this, let's leave these divisions in the past, people were just singing the song innocently and call for cool heads.

You are now commenting about a Micheal Martin interview that you refused to watch. Says it all.

I've watched it since, never refused to watch it, only it wouldn't be top of my list as a sf voter.

It's clear to me he's only trying to politicize further. He'd be well aware that things can be offensive depending on the context.

Fans singing 'Zombie' as a sing a long, personally I don't find offensive. If I were singing the same song to US soldiers in Shannon what would mm think of that? He's well aware of this stuff.

Tbf the idea of mm defending an anti-war song is pretty ironic.

What I find interesting here is his comments after that protest...

"I think it’s people with a particular viewpoint on the world saying that nobody else can have another viewpoint, or nobody else can come to a forum and articulate another viewpoint, that would be my view"

Yet now there's only one way to interpret this song? Like I said, he's chasing votes.

Who/what do you consider to be shinner bots? I just want to see who you are trying to insult with that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Hmmmm, not sure if that's correct but you certainly missed a few:

• Wants some hope of owning a house.
    • Doesn't want to die old and alone on a hospital trolley.
    • Wants to be able to send kids to college.
    • Expects some sense of fair return for their taxes.
    • Concerned we're moving to a polarized country of have's and have-not's
    • Won't downplay homelessness and fudge the figures.
    • Accepts sf's commitment to the peace process and doesn't want history lessons from civil war parties.

I don't think sf are going to 'wave a magic wand', but I believe a left wing gov will be a move away from repeatedly turning to the same neoliberal policies and rhetoric which are proven to have failed.

Advertisement